Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

SMC almost exploded

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Don't touch it and keep it in an ammo box outside. It could catch fire (basically exploding) at any time.
zinm likes this.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Seen this happen to a guy who charged his batteries in a nice cool house, put all his charged batteries in the trunk of his car and after a couple hour drive to his favorite bashing spot, all his brand new packs in the trunk were swollen up like this because of the extreme change in temps... heat will increase the voltage of a LiPo which will cause them to swell.
i don’t doubt that it happened but I doubt that was the cause. When we discharge at high amperage, like 40 amps, it’s to generate this heat in the pack. Then when they are recharged, it maintains some of this heat and has a lower ir.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer

i don’t doubt that it happened but I doubt that was the cause. When we discharge at high amperage, like 40 amps, it’s to generate this heat in the pack. Then when they are recharged, it maintains some of this heat and has a lower ir.
That's not the case I was referring... If you charge a pack in a cool air conditioned house at around 70°F, the cells will increase voltage past 4.20V per cell if you take them outside into extreme heat, like the trunk of a car which can easily go past 140°F and cause the cells to swell/puff with both a combination of intense heat and over voltage
Old 05-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

THE OP HAD DONE NONE OF THIS IT WAS PUT IN LONG TERM STORAGE IN HIS BASEMENT.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
They can do this if you don't put them at a safe storage voltage first.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

not to knock smc because I have spent a lot money on motors/esc/batteries. I am just saying what happen to me, I know it could happen to any brand. but I have had 3 smc batteries go bad in last couple seasons, all were never ran below 3.6 always put in storage and cycled over winter. I e mailed Danny and was told that they just aren't making batteries like they used to and basically shouldn't expect to get more than a season out of a lipo....
Old 05-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Set
Tech Adept

I guess it still have that explosive punch.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
which is why I gave an example of what I fear the OP may have done something similar

Did he leave the battery fully charged?
What were the temps in the basement?

These are variables to consider that I question and provided an extreme example with storing packs in the truck of a car for a relatively short period of time
gigaplex likes this.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zinm

I just took it out from storage and found like that. Bought it last year and never used. Probably I forgot to discharged? Do you guys have any clue what happened?
Never used is never charged ..
Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the input. Storage is temperature controlled unit. I may have tried to charge once I got it. Didn't remember exactly. I just want to prevent not happen again. My other batteries are fine. I'll try to find a way to dispose safe. Much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

FYI, saltwater baths only work if the solution can enter the interior of the cells to neutralize them. Submerging the cells in the saltwater will do very little in the way of actually discharging the pack, the thin aluminum tabs on the cells will corrode away long before the pack is discharged.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.ph...ad-idea.12467/

The safest way to discharge that pack is to set it on concrete, inside of a concrete block, and discharge it using either the NiMH discharge setting on your multicharger or using automotive lightbulbs. Once that pack is good and dead, short the main leads to prevent it from recovering any voltage, then wrap it up in duct tape and toss it. It's harmless at that point.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

so this was total user error..knowing a batteries condition is a must when using a lipo.

Last edited by the rc guy; 05-07-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow i dont ever think i saw one this bad lol, that sucks man sorry about your luck