• 1 Post By GerryH
  • 1 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Effect of HV LIPO on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default Effect of HV LIPO on carpet

My track's spec class is 13.5 blinky, outlaw motors permitted on high traction indoor carpet. They recently ruled that high voltage LIPO's will be allowed and permitted to be charged at the higher rate. Currently there are no jumps I cannot easily clear. How much of a disadvantage will I be at if I do not get a new charger and batteries?

I believe one fellow had HV LIPO's last race but he kept breaking down so i did not get a good feel of the difference. I just bought new gear in the fall .

Old 12-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I wonder why they just don't make it a MOD class? HV lipos only have about 3% more voltage than regular ones, so it depends on how good of a driver you are. I'd say wait and see. Might have little to no effect on lap times.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Along with the added voltage the average voltage is higher throughout the entire discharge curve. If your driving abilities are there you will be at a disadvantage without using them but also not just any pack do your research and find the best. If you want to take this to pm I can assist you better
Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GerryH
I wonder why they just don't make it a MOD class? HV lipos only have about 3% more voltage than regular ones, so it depends on how good of a driver you are. I'd say wait and see. Might have little to no effect on lap times.
There is also a MOD class. Canadian “stock” classes have been 13.5 turns forever; a holdover from the British / EU standard I believe. 17.5 is a Yankee thing that has not caught on up here. I rarely have the fast lap, but I am very consistent and rarely crash.

i will PM Losiracer for additional details.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Losiracer12
Along with the added voltage the average voltage is higher throughout the entire discharge curve. If your driving abilities are there you will be at a disadvantage without using them but also not just any pack do your research and find the best...
+1

Many drivers in my area average in the 96-98% range however we are limited to 8.40V at our club, but that doesn't stop one driver that everyone can see who is over volting his packs, and yes he has a clear advantage and will sometimes win when he hits a 99% run when they haven't tech'ed for voltage.

Of the dozen or so budget brands I have tested, all of them typically last around 6 months before performance starts to drop off and they need to be replaced.
  • Trinity White Carbon packs can handle 40A cycle rates and will last over a year before they start to degrade making them more economical in the long run over most budget brands

Be sure to get a charger with an IR meter, this measures battery health
Devin likes this.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Assuming your a good driver and don't crash much then yes a charged lipo at 8.7 volts is noticeable faster than a lipo charged to 8.4 volts. Not much faster but it is noticeable.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

You will be at a disadvantage if you dont make the change to a fully charged HV lipo.. if you charge 2 cells now you will not need a power supply... You will need a hv lipo charger there are many on the market...I like SMC never had a failure ...
Old 12-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
You will be at a disadvantage if you dont make the change to a fully charged HV lipo.. if you charge 2 cells now you will not need a power supply... You will need a hv lipo charger there are many on the market...I like SMC never had a failure ...
Lots of people have had failures with SMC especially in the last year and a half I have seen the insides of them more frequently than intact
Old 12-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I would put SMC right there with any other budget brand battery including, RCJuice, ValueHobby, GensAce, Venom, HobbyKing, Zeee, etc...

When buying a budget brand, expect them to last around 6 months or so... they're cheap and a great way to get reasonable performance on a tight budget, however I have found budget brands to cost me more money over the long haul where Trinity White Carbon packs tend to hold their low IR considerably longer, like over a year making them more cost effective to spend a few extra bucks up front.
Devin likes this.