Search
Like Tree4Likes

Recommend me a hardcase 2S LiPo with bullet connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
To keep your charging batteries away from your expensive equipment in case they burst into flames. Or if you're lazy, to charge your batteries while they're still in the car.
Im just lazy. Lazy enough to even buy my own charge leads from SRC hehe
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
To keep your charging batteries away from your expensive equipment in case they burst into flames. Or if you're lazy, to charge your batteries while they're still in the car.
Hm. I just have my batteries sitting on a table in front of my charger when they're charging. I guess I always figured if they vent, I'd have more important things to worry about than keeping my charger from getting singed. But it seems unlikely they would vent while charging rather than while being used, since the chemical reactions go a lot faster when the batteries are being used. That doesn't mean it's impossible, of course, just not something I've worried about. My batteries get charged at about 1.5C, since that's all my charger can handle when running on AC power; after charging, they're not even warm.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

+1 for SMC.

AS others have mentioned, they also have charging leads, although I went the cheap route and just bought a Deans to bullet adapter since I already had a Deans charging lead.

Shipping is expensive, mostly due to the hazmat, so definitely consolidate your order.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the tip about shipping cost. Not something I'd considered since I'd always bought my batteries locally before.

Just gotta wait for my credit card statement to reset early next month, then I can start replacing my batteries. I'll probably buy 2 batteries every 6 months or so, same as I did before, just to ensure they don't all wear-out at the same time. Hmm, I wonder if there are any lithium battery recyclers where I live...
Old 02-23-2018, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Hm. I just have my batteries sitting on a table in front of my charger when they're charging. I guess I always figured if they vent, I'd have more important things to worry about than keeping my charger from getting singed. But it seems unlikely they would vent while charging rather than while being used, since the chemical reactions go a lot faster when the batteries are being used. That doesn't mean it's impossible, of course, just not something I've worried about. My batteries get charged at about 1.5C, since that's all my charger can handle when running on AC power; after charging, they're not even warm.
Anecdotal evidence from the incidents that have happened in my area over the last year or so, going up in flames is actually more common while charging.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 AM
Tech Champion

Hm. I wonder why.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

guys charging a 4900mah at 40 amps.hmmm..
Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by the rc guy
guys charging a 4900mah at 40 amps.hmmm..
Is this a fire you have witnessed first hand and confirmed charge rate and battery size?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

That sounds a lot more plausible then. The only times I've ever seen LiPos puff from heat was after very hard discharging, and it stands to reason very hard charging could do the same as well. I've heard racers like to charge their batteries very hard so they get hot, to temporarily increase their maximum discharge rating as well, and catching fire is, shall we say, the upper limit of getting a battery hot to increase its discharge rating.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Fyrestormer, the whole point of high current cycling is to lower the internal resistance of the battery. By paying attention to the internal resistance of the batteries, you have a way better understanding of the health of your batteries.

Here is a picture of what happened when NiMH was pushed beyond the limit. When NiMH's went off like this there was very little warning, lipo's, today's chargers, and a little common sense goes a long way.

High current cycling is not for everyone, but it can be done very safely. On a final note, I ALWAYS cycle my batteries in a lipo bag just in case something does happen.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

HobbyStar Lipos from RCJUICE have been excellent. John at RCJUICE has been in the business for 25 years in which he has used his experience to provide primo lipos for crazy prices. Free shipping for orders over $50, excellent service etc. I am not sponsored not affiliated with RCJUICE or Hobbystar so I have no motive to promote besides for the fact that the HSTAR lipos have been beyond excellent.