Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarkA

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default Need some help...

Hi all,
Recently I started to put together some electronics in on of my rcs and I ran into a problem, as soon as I turn it on it immediately goes to about 70% throttle and no matter how much I adjust the throttle trim it will not stay still unless I am giving it about 70% breaks
I’m not sure what to calibrate and what not but here is what I’m using:
-Spektrum dx2e radio
-spektrum sr310 receiver
-traxxas xl-5 esc
-reedy radon 30000 rpm brushed motor
-and the battery is a venom 3s 20c battery

So anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Set the trim on your radio back to zero. After you do that, you need to calibrate the esc to the radio. Instructions how can be found here.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Many thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

That ESC is designed for for NIMH cells and doesn't have low voltage cutoff for LiPo Cells.
Input Voltage Range: 4-8 Cells (4.8 to 9.6 Volts DC)

So you are running a battery that is higher voltage than it can handle. You probably shorted out all of the forward MOSFETs and are having to use the reverse MOSFETs to short the battery to get it to stop. Do not use that ESC ever again or you may burn your car down when the battery catches fire.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robert@castle
That ESC is designed for for NIMH cells and doesn't have low voltage cutoff for LiPo Cells.
Input Voltage Range: 4-8 Cells (4.8 to 9.6 Volts DC)

So you are running a battery that is higher voltage than it can handle. You probably shorted out all of the forward MOSFETs and are having to use the reverse MOSFETs to short the battery to get it to stop. Do not use that ESC ever again or you may burn your car down when the battery catches fire.
How is it a higher voltage when a Lipo batteries voltage is 8.4V which is less then 9.6V?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by faqcya
How is it a higher voltage when a Lipo batteries voltage is 8.4V which is less then 9.6V?
2s lipo 8.4v fully charged

3s lipo 12.6v fully charged (he is using 3s)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

the xl5 esc can handle a 2 cell lipo... you will need to add a external lvc might try a lipo buzzer..you also need to calibrate the xl5 to your radio..
Old 02-17-2018, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will start by saying i have no experience with this ESC, however after doing a quick spec check in a traxxas forum it says it can handle peak 100 amp, besides 3 s lipo being too much voltage you also state the battery is 20c , now if the battery is less then 5000mah then it cannot deliver the required power that the esc will try to suck out of it, battery should always be able to deliver more then the esc/motor will draw otherwise it can damage the esc, in saying this the most likely scenario is the 12.6 volts have probably toasted your esc, but you never know stranger things have happened, good luck either way.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

update:
today against what i was told i did a test run and it ran fine, i think the reason it didint burn down is because it is an esc designed for 1:10 scale abuse but i have it in a 1:18 speedrunner and i usually dont do more then 5 passes on a battery so the load is less on the esc(no idea how it actually works so i may be wrong)

and if it would have caught on fire it would be an excuse to go brushless!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldenuff
I will start by saying i have no experience with this ESC, however after doing a quick spec check in a traxxas forum it says it can handle peak 100 amp, besides 3 s lipo being too much voltage you also state the battery is 20c , now if the battery is less then 5000mah then it cannot deliver the required power that the esc will try to suck out of it, battery should always be able to deliver more then the esc/motor will draw otherwise it can damage the esc, in saying this the most likely scenario is the 12.6 volts have probably toasted your esc, but you never know stranger things have happened, good luck either way.
The ESC won't draw the maximum rated current unless the motor demands it. And you're more likely to harm the battery, not ESC, if the battery can't deliver.