Search
Like Tree6Likes

Mamba Max Pro help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Unhappy Mamba Max Pro help

Combo: Max pro running a Novak 17.5 in a Slash with MT tires (Stampede size) Geared 22/87. NiMh 3300 that is brand new.
Both the ESC and Motor are old but have been setting most of that time. (I think I remember why now.)

Things changed or missing: Fan died years ago but has has a fan powered by BEC. Just replaced the switch as it for sure was bad. Freshly updated Beta firmware.

The Problem: ESC cuts out and resets randomly regardless of temp or time ran. It will power the RX and servo but not run the motor. At times I have to turn it on twice to get it to arm. It never stays on long enough to get hot so I don't think it can be that.

The question: Do I look in to the ESC or the motor as the problem?

Included pics: Set-up in truck and ESC settings from PC link.

I have lots of brushed experience but not so much brushless. Any things I can try before sending it back would be helpful.

Thank you

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will it run more reliably in sensorless mode? Switch the ESC to sensorless mode and unplug the sensor cable. The motor will probably run like crap at low RPM, but it will at least let you know if it's a sensor/cable/connector problem.
SocalSnakeEyes likes this.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

I will give that a shot tomorrow. Plus a good cleaning of that 17.5 and a 13.5 I have. But, would that make the ESC restart?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

I don't know. If the ESC is rebooting for reasons other than an intermittent mechanical switch failure, then those reasons are known only to the people who wrote the software.

EDIT: Speaking of software, don't run beta versions unless you're willing to accept a higher likelihood of software errors. Beta versions haven't been thoroughly tested yet.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Switch to latest non beta version. One thing I always do with this esc is have the start power set to high, not low. Also, I think I used to play with the arming time, when I had a certain radio. Can't remember since I haven't used this esc in a few years.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

after seeing this motor stator out and the windings burnt . a new motor will help..

Last edited by the rc guy; 12-31-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Disable voltage cuttoff when not running a lipo.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by the rc guy
after seeing this motor stator out and the windings burnt . a new motor will help..
I probably should have said that the two problems where in two different trucks. The old Super Rooster still lives after KFM. It's my old reliable. I give it up so the hubby's truck had reverse. The things we do for love.

On that note however, I may try running a brushed with it.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Default On the other tips given:

I think I will start with the simple things. Starting with tuning way down or off the cut-off voltage. I do think it should not be a problem with a fully charged battery. Then there more amps being pulled when driving then on the dis-charger. When I'm in there I will change the software to a non beta. Knock the arming time down a bit too. I am going to wait on the start power til I know for sure what that actually does. The trans still has plastic gears in it that don't want to kill just yet. Maybe, I should read the book seeing as I have it.

For now, I just sit here charging batteries so I can test this stuff out.

Thank You all for the input. I will keep you updated if anything changes.

I feel like such a rookie with this brushless stuff.

Last edited by SocalSnakeEyes; 12-31-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the rc guy
That was a different motor -- a brushed motor, no less.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes
I think I will start with the simple things. Starting with tuning way down or off the cut-off voltage. I do think it should not be a problem with a fully charged battery. Then there more amps being pulled when driving then on the dis-charger. When I'm in there I will change the software to a non beta. Knock the arming time down a bit too. I am going to wait on the start power til I know for sure what that actually does. The trans still has plastic gears in it that don't want to kill just yet. Maybe, I should read the book seeing as I have it.

For now, I just sit here charging batteries so I can test this stuff out.

Thank You all for the input. I will keep you updated if anything changes.

I feel like such a rookie with this brushless stuff.
Waaaait a second. You're using a NiMH battery? Disable the voltage cutoff completely. NiMH batteries sag like crazy when running a high-wattage motor, and that will trip the voltage cutoff. NiMH batteries don't need low-voltage protection anyway, that is only for LiPo batteries.
SocalSnakeEyes likes this.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Waaaait a second. You're using a NiMH battery? Disable the voltage cutoff completely. NiMH batteries sag like crazy when running a high-wattage motor, and that will trip the voltage cutoff. NiMH batteries don't need low-voltage protection anyway, that is only for LiPo batteries.
Working on that right now. I think I will set it a like 4V. I don't want to kill the batteries before there time. And that should be below the BEC range the RX anyway. I know, even the book reads to turn it off.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Turn off voltage cuttoff when using nimh.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Turn off voltage cuttoff when using nimh.
I turned it down to 5V. The RX needs 4.8V min and I would rather have the truck stop before taking off for some random wall. Maybe that the old r/cer in me remembering cars taking off on there own.

And now to test.

I wish the data loging worked with this ESC. That would tell me a lot about what is going on with it.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

TURN OFF VOLTAGE CUTOFF!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.