Wiki Posts
Search

Noob electronics questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Noob electronics questions

Hi all. Been lurking for a while, but decided I'm going to jump back into the 1/10 4wd buggy game after a 20 year hiatus since my old Schumacher Bosscat. Have a B64 chassis on it's way from a member here, but could use an update to my electronics understanding. Looks like the local guys run a 13.5 blinky buggy class. Figure this is my best bet since I'm going to be a little rusty!

My local store was keen on selling me Tekin motors and ESCs, but at ~ $400 CAD I think that's a bit excessive for my needs. Looks like a XR10 Justock is going to do the job fine for me. Motors seem like everyone has a favourite. Reading through here I like the sound of the Trinity MonsterMax. Any obvious flaws in my plans so far?

I'm sure I'll need some advice on setting motor timing. I wont have any fancy motor dynos but I do have a technical background and some fancy toys at work, so can probably set something up with a high-speed oscilloscope and clamp-on current meter. I thoroughly enjoyed Pierre Phaneuf's article. Bonus points for Matlab plots...

Radios is where I could use a bit of help. I can't figure out why there's so many high end radios with 3+ channels? I need a throttle and steering. Why so many channels? Futaba 3PV a good starter setup? Something more basic I should consider? Last radio I had was an Acoms stick transmitter with plug-in 40MHz crystals...

Any tips appreciated!
Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Futaba 3PV is a good radio for $110.00.
I have one. It works well.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The Hobbywing motors are great and they sell a nice 13.5 as well as the Bandit 13.5 which is a bit more powerful.

If you need a good 2.4ghz radio then have a look at the Futaba 3PL I have listed for sale. Mint as new and comes with two receivers. Ships from Ottawa, ON

Futaba 3PL Radio System with Two Receivers
Old 01-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It’s so nice to and refreshing to see that some (very few) can actually do their own research. You seem to be on the right track and know pretty much what you want to do. For motors sky really is the limit as most high end manufacturers make fast motors. As you said timing will be the biggest factor along with your gearing. I recommend Fantom Racing. They have made some of the fastest motors in recent editions. The new V3 FR1 is really strong. You can even get a motor built just for what type of racing you plan to do and the size track you plan to run on. They will set the motor up just for you and you can have piece of mind knowing it’ll be fast out of the box. In blinky stock classes motors are geared and pushed to the limit so be sure you add a good fan like WTF or R1 8.4v versions and solder your leads directly to the esc input for max voltage supply. Your radio you chose is a really good base radio and will be just fine. It should do anything you need it to do for Racing.

Originally Posted by big ted
Hi all. Been lurking for a while, but decided I'm going to jump back into the 1/10 4wd buggy game after a 20 year hiatus since my old Schumacher Bosscat. Have a B64 chassis on it's way from a member here, but could use an update to my electronics understanding. Looks like the local guys run a 13.5 blinky buggy class. Figure this is my best bet since I'm going to be a little rusty!

My local store was keen on selling me Tekin motors and ESCs, but at ~ $400 CAD I think that's a bit excessive for my needs. Looks like a XR10 Justock is going to do the job fine for me. Motors seem like everyone has a favourite. Reading through here I like the sound of the Trinity MonsterMax. Any obvious flaws in my plans so far?

I'm sure I'll need some advice on setting motor timing. I wont have any fancy motor dynos but I do have a technical background and some fancy toys at work, so can probably set something up with a high-speed oscilloscope and clamp-on current meter. I thoroughly enjoyed Pierre Phaneuf's article. Bonus points for Matlab plots...

Radios is where I could use a bit of help. I can't figure out why there's so many high end radios with 3+ channels? I need a throttle and steering. Why so many channels? Futaba 3PV a good starter setup? Something more basic I should consider? Last radio I had was an Acoms stick transmitter with plug-in 40MHz crystals...

Any tips appreciated!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

I've never heard anyone complain about the Sanwa MXV. Excellent radio for under $100. The next Sanwa one rung up the $$ ladder is also very popular.

As for motor timing...you'll hear all kinds of stuff. Two things are true: every motor is different, and every track is different. Personally, I use an amp meter to measure the no-load current. Again, you'll hear all different opinions but I've found my motors perform well around 5.5-6A no load current draw.