Like Tree12Likes

Puffed LiPo

Old 12-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Puffed LiPo

Hi, im gonna try to make this as short as possible!

So when I first got into soldering I got a new ESC for my Vaterra Halix. When doing my best job to solder traxxas connectors I didnt realize there was a good strand of wires exposed the the ESC plugin. So I was riding around and I jumped my car a good amount and when it landed it shut off. So obviously I short circuted my battery and I realized I need to a better job. I simply turned off than back on my car and it worked (kind of) about every 5 seconds it would stop than 5 seconds later it would work again, repeating itself. So I thought now that I should hook it up to the charger. I hooked it up to the charger and got low voltage warning.

I left it like that for about a month (stupid me) and did some research since I missed 3s and 2s was getting boring. My conclusion was that I should charge it in NiMh mode till its 3 quaters way to the voltage of the battery. So that actually worked! I then finished the process by balance charging the battery (like I always do) and I went to check on it 30 minutes later to see ripped casing, slightly puffed and hard battery. The charger also said err cell connect (something like that im sure you know what i mean). I buried the battery in a ziploc bag in my yard and now Im here asking what to do next. Is it usable? Pitch it? What? Obviously my warranty is shot now!

Thanks!

P.S. Battery is fairly new and unused and I can actually solder very good now! Asked the friendly owner of a HobbyTown nearby to tech me because we are good friends.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The battery is toast. Don't attempt to reuse it.
gigaplex and aedan929 like this.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by faqcya
The battery is toast. Don't attempt to reuse it.
Thanks! Any tips on disposal or do I keep it in my yard? ill be moving in like 6 months so theres a present for whoever moves in!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Little update! This probably doesnt change the fact that the battery is bad, but i tried charging a nimh battery and the same charger that puffed my lipo said connection break, this is a different warning than above but just an fyi.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

I drop mine off at the local recycling center. I believe you can poke holes in the foil then soak it in saltwater for a couple days and it is supposed to be safe to dispose of in your trash can. But hopefully someone else can chime in with more specific details.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aedan929
Little update! This probably doesnt change the fact that the battery is bad, but i tried charging a nimh battery and the same charger that puffed my lipo said connection break, this is a different warning than above but just an fyi.
Bottom line.....stop charging lithium polymer in NiMH mode unless you want to burn you're house down. LOL.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I drop mine off at the local recycling center. I believe you can poke holes in the foil then soak it in saltwater for a couple days and it is supposed to be safe to dispose of in your trash can. But hopefully someone else can chime in with more specific details.
It can explode in your face if you do that...
symmetricon and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It can explode in your face if you do that...
It's a good thing someone else chimed in on this.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

DO NOT TRY TO FIX OR poke holes . The instructions and manual along with warnings posted on lipos is there to protect u
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Bucket of salt water to attempt to discharge. It will take a while since you charged it (weeks). You can also try to use a 12v light bulb which will be faster but I would certainly do it outside and away from anything flammable. Once discharged to 0 volts you can recycle or trash it. The danger is over at that point.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's a good thing someone else chimed in on this.
WOW.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yep bucket of saltwater after a couple days I will poke a hole in it while still submerged then after a day or so toss it.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neverstop
Yep bucket of saltwater after a couple days I will poke a hole in it while still submerged then after a day or so toss it.
Just do not touch it, take it to Home Depot / Lowes, they have battery recycling, or Batteries Plus, they do as well.

Let the pros worry about battery treatment and disposal, no sense in putting yourself or possessions in harms way!!!
symmetricon likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Just do not touch it, take it to Home Depot / Lowes, they have battery recycling, or Batteries Plus, they do as well.

Let the pros worry about battery treatment and disposal, no sense in putting yourself or possessions in harms way!!!
this.

i always bring my batteries to home depot. they take it for free without any questions. some of them even have them in front so you dont have to talk to anyone, just plop it in the box and be on your way. why bother with salt water or anything else when this is free disposal. drop it and forget it
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hahaha. This is better than reading the funnies in the paper! Poke a hole in it, wow. Please do not do this. Aside from property loss the medical bills alone will break you. For an example of how crazy our little batteries are google it. YouTube it. Hell look up lithium thrown into a lake. It’s a bomb man! Some crazy scientists just figured out how to control it and make it usable. Ergo inside the airtight aluminum packaging of each cell. Expose this to oxygen or air rather and you basically just reverse engineered it just enough to make it flammable and or explosive again!!

Like many above posted there are multiple ways to dispose of all types of batteries safely. If you feel the need to DIY, salt water until it reads 0volts. Then toss it. Much simpler way is a disposal service mentioned above in previous posts. Use a lipo sack to transport it to Home Depot or wherever you choose to go and hand it off, keeping your lipo pouch.

Also please remember to always charge/store/discharge your lipo son an approved lipo safe pouch/sack or bat box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.