Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Disposing of old Lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I toss mine in the trash and hope he makes it to the dump before she blows up..Ha!
Kyosho Joe likes this.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
The salt water method is said to be a myth. The tabs on the cells will disintegrate before the pack voltage reaches zero.
I've read this too, my theory is that it probably used to be true on older packs but given the higher C ratings of today's batteries, I would imagine the tabs are much more robust. Of course, it's only a theory.

That said, I've had success with the salt water bath. It discharged a cell from ~3V down to a few tenths of a volt in 4 weeks.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Another place you could try is a scrap yard that specializes in e-scrap. You won't get paid for it but atleas it will end up in the hands of some poor Indian kid.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alex4r
I've read this too, my theory is that it probably used to be true on older packs but given the higher C ratings of today's batteries, I would imagine the tabs are much more robust. Of course, it's only a theory.

That said, I've had success with the salt water bath. It discharged a cell from ~3V down to a few tenths of a volt in 4 weeks.
4 weeks! I'll stick with my .22 pistol method. It dischargers the batteries at 1,200 Ft. per second!
Old 11-02-2017, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Another place you could try is a scrap yard that specializes in e-scrap. You won't get paid for it but atleas it will end up in the hands of some poor Indian kid.
No reason not to put in trash can after they are discharged. Lithium Polymer is not toxic waste.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyosho Joe
No reason not to put in trash can after they are discharged. Lithium Polymer is not toxic waste.
I hope you're joking. Recycling is about more than just dealing with toxic waste. Lithium and other materials in the batteries are in high demand.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Agree,, just about every community has free drop off locations for toxic waste, paints, oils, thinners, batteries, misc electronics etc.. no reason to throw any of these things in the trash can other than laziness..
Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
If you're draining the cells below 3V or so, make sure that you don't ever accidentally attempt to recharge the pack!

Honestly, once the cells are discharged to 3V or thereabouts, there is very little electrical energy left in the pack, and I'm unconvinced that it's necessary to drain it any further.
Take your 3v/cell pack and short the + and - while on video. Then do the same with a pack at 0v/cell.

You have to remember most packs are not single cell. A 3s or 4s pack would still have 9 - 12 volts of energy and I'm guessing wouldn't have any issue starting a fire.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I hope you're joking. Recycling is about more than just dealing with toxic waste. Lithium and other materials in the batteries are in high demand.
not really man, I understand new Lithium but there is not much second hand market for used lithium batteries. Its just to costly to dismantle batteries effectively in a developed country, unless your a super specialized facility, and you have an effect process. Protip: most of that stuff ends up a scrap yard, and gets shipped over seas.

It's the reason most recycling places wont pay you for your old lipo batteries.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What other materials? And like Darkgenerals said, the amount of USED lithium in an R/C battery isn't anywhere near enough to make it worth the effort needed to get it out.

BestBuy just gives tree huggers a place to feel good about themselves. In reality the "battery recycling" bin probably just gets emptied into the garbage dumpster with the rest of the trash at the end of the day

Only battery I know of with enough value to recycle is the one likely in you car. That's because it's full of lead, and a lot of it..that's why they PAY you for it.

Like I said before, toss it in the trash and hope the garbage truck turns the corner before you see smoke
Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

There is a trivial amount of lithium carbonate in a hobby battery. The stuff is only worth about $3/lb, and you're talking about ounces at most in the typical pack.

The story is somewhat different once we start talking about recycling millions of 50kWh packs from electric cars.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

There is a trivial amount of lithium carbonate in a hobby battery. The stuff is only worth about $3/lb, and you're talking about ounces at most in the typical pack.

The story is somewhat different once we start talking about recycling millions of 50kWh packs from electric cars.
Is that $3/lb for new production?

Not trying to put you on the spot, I work for a scrap yard and $3/lb materiel is getting into copper prices, and we don't deal in lithium batteries because the value is so small for the head ache they cause.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
What other materials? And like Darkgenerals said, the amount of USED lithium in an R/C battery isn't anywhere near enough to make it worth the effort needed to get it out.

BestBuy just gives tree huggers a place to feel good about themselves. In reality the "battery recycling" bin probably just gets emptied into the garbage dumpster with the rest of the trash at the end of the day

Only battery I know of with enough value to recycle is the one likely in you car. That's because it's full of lead, and a lot of it..that's why they PAY you for it.

Like I said before, toss it in the trash and hope the garbage truck turns the corner before you see smoke
It might be cobalt that I'm thinking of but it's been a while since I've looked up what the current lipos are made from.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Is that $3/lb for new production?

Not trying to put you on the spot, I work for a scrap yard and $3/lb materiel is getting into copper prices, and we don't deal in lithium batteries because the value is so small for the head ache they cause.
Yeah, that's for clean "virgin" material. It has some significant value, but there isn't much in a small battery. You've got maybe a couple dimes worth of the stuff in a hobby pack (or power tool, or cell phone), and so by the time you look at the cost of the recycling process, it's a fool's errand. The situation is totally different from the value contained in a scrap lead-acid battery. There also isn't the toxicity concern that one had with NiCad batteries (which we really didn't want going into landfills).

My main concern with scrap lithium batteries is the risk of fire, and once again, simply discharging them down to 0% SOC (<3V/cell) largely takes care of that concern.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah, that's for clean "virgin" material. It has some significant value, but there isn't much in a small battery. You've got maybe a couple dimes worth of the stuff in a hobby pack (or power tool, or cell phone), and so by the time you look at the cost of the recycling process, it's a fool's errand. The situation is totally different from the value contained in a scrap lead-acid battery. There also isn't the toxicity concern that one had with NiCad batteries (which we really didn't want going into landfills).

My main concern with scrap lithium batteries is the risk of fire, and once again, simply discharging them down to 0% SOC (<3V/cell) largely takes care of that concern.
ah ok, that make a little more sense. Most laptop battery packs are worth .04 to .05$. We used to have literally tons of them and we could move them but you never cover the handling costs.