Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Once or twice is understandable, we are not all saints here but why should anyone have to hear some idiot cursing ? That guy needs to act civil and control his mouth. Period . It's a place where many people with different backgrounds meet to enjoy them selves . Anyone who goes to a Rc track where there might be kids or women should be able to control them selves. Not because of any other reason but because it's the right thing to do. Imagine an idiot on driver stand who flips his car and screams :" marshal " !! I'll be annoyed but I'll still get his car if I'm the marshal but if he screams a profanity and then " marshal " his car is staying on its lid. I don't go to Rc track for some idiot to yell names at me- I kind of feel like people are making excuses for those who curse. It's not ok. We all mess up , in the end just be better, better than the yeller ,the curser . People are always trying to find things to argue about . No argument here. I have kids and I've messed up and cursed in front of them but that made me feel small .
Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

lol is you sig pic nick diaz?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If my kids hearing swear words at the track (not as a hostile rant to others) was the biggest thing in life that I found offensive, my life would be great! Look around, we have bigger issues to deal with
Old 03-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

It's not about offending anyone. Lord knows there is way too much PC BS in the world. Just using common sense when there's likely kids around. If someone isn't too worried about their kids hearing swearing than that's their call...no biggie. But I would guess the majority of parents tend to want to keep their kids shielded a little from the grown up world as they are still kids. I know they hear stuff at school etc. that doesn't justify letting it rip at a place where kids are most likely there too.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
That pesky 1st amendment might be an issue for you. Sure, you could start a club, collect dues, and then be able to infringe on a public right (in the USA) however, I doubt this would take place.

How about you be a responsible parent, and sit your daughter down and explain that people are all different, and come from different places and have different expectations in life. Explain that just because someone does something a certain way, doesn't mean it's the way you do it too. Explain right from wrong, and why people say things like they do.

What's the oldest saying? Words will never hurt me...Unfortunately, the protestant/prude culture that America was founded on is still perpetuated today. This same culture is what gave America prohibition.

First the first amendment doesn't apply to private property. It prevents the government from infringing on your right to free speech not a private entity.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
If my kids hearing swear words on this board (not as a hostile rant to others) was the biggest thing in life that I found offensive, my life would be great! Look around, we have bigger issues to deal with
Fixed it for you
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
If my kids hearing swear words at the track (not as a hostile rant to others) was the biggest thing in life that I found offensive, my life would be great! Look around, we have bigger issues to deal with
I don't think it's the most significant issue in his life. Arguably the most significant issue in life might be dying. Do we not worry about anything, except death?

No.

If someone urinated on your shoes every time you went on the driver's stand - it still wouldn't be the biggest issue in your life. I would think losing your car, house, life, or such would all be more significant .. but I bet you would want to find a way to fix it.

He came here for suggestions; I don't think a dismissive answer is appropriate.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brit_racer
My daughter used to come with me but now she won't as all the swearing just makes her so uncomfortable and scares her off. She was doing well with racing but it put her right off.
Brit - is it specifically the swearing, or is it the excited/angry behavior that goes along with swearing? IE: People yelling because they're frustrated they wrecked, or mad at a track official, etc?

I would like to submit that even if language was adjusted, kids can be intimidated when adults lose their cool. It's an uncomfortable situation and I'm really not sure if there's a fix for how other people behave. You'd have to be the force that adjusts your daughter's reception of someone else's action.

Things such as reassuring them that they're not mad at her, wouldn't hurt her, "just blowing off steam".

If it's only swearing, have a track rule of no profanity on the drivers stand (easier to have then no swearing at all). This has an added benefit because you don't want marshals being harassed/sworn at either. Then also have some designated pit areas that are 'more' family friendly. Sometimes adults don't want someone else's kids around or have to worry about being responsible. Some don't have kids, or others might have left them at home to so that they could mentally check out. This might fix both potential issues because those who swear might feel like they're 'rights' are being infringed upon. Having designated pit areas also might make those who swear realize that they're impacting children and might self-adjust.

I've run into it too with my kids, and a fellow racer pointed out to the fellow who was using harsh language .. who blew it off saying that he grew up in a racing family and that's just how it was. I chuckled and distanced me and my kids from him at the pits and wished him well in his 'racing life'. Poor guy.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I don't consider it any worse than people smoking on the driver stand. Oh wait what, you can't? So you can't because others close by might breath the smoke, what's different about screaming cuss words because the marshall isn't moving fast enough. Go to the owner and let him know people are starting to avoid the place because of this stuff. He's probably smart enough to realise that without future business, his time is short.

We all talk and try to get young kids into this hobby, giving away trucks, etc, then to have some "adults" screaming cuss words sure makes it look like something some of us want our kids into. /sarc/
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

no not just on the drivers stand but basically everywhere. And it is not emotional either. Just using the f' bomb every fourth or fifth word seemed over the top to me.

I get it is peoples right to say what they want. But would you swear like that at a funeral or a wedding or if your working in a day care. Maybe some people would?

I just always thought everybody understood it was a family environment and family environment meant please try not to swear or tell sexual jokes etc. No the teachers at her school don't swear just some students.

Nope it is not the biggest problem I have in life that's for sure but I don't think it's acceptable. Of course that's just my opinion.

Well she won't be going racing anymore because of it as its got so bad it has totally put her off now. Just another loss of one more person to the hobby due a small minority of racers that can not (or will not) control their tongue.

It is a real shame as it is something we enjoyed doing together. See if we can find something else. Is there the same swearing at Little leagues or kids sports?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
I don't think it's the most significant issue in his life. Arguably the most significant issue in life might be dying. Do we not worry about anything, except death?

No.

If someone urinated on your shoes every time you went on the driver's stand - it still wouldn't be the biggest issue in your life. I would think losing your car, house, life, or such would all be more significant .. but I bet you would want to find a way to fix it.

He came here for suggestions; I don't think a dismissive answer is appropriate.
I agree. Racer1812 is normally pretty dismissive.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
lol is you sig pic nick diaz?
Go Diaz brothers ! Lol
Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brit_racer
no not just on the drivers stand but basically everywhere. And it is not emotional either. Just using the f' bomb every fourth or fifth word seemed over the top to me.

I get it is peoples right to say what they want. But would you swear like that at a funeral or a wedding or if your working in a day care. Maybe some people would?

I just always thought everybody understood it was a family environment and family environment meant please try not to swear or tell sexual jokes etc. No the teachers at her school don't swear just some students.

Nope it is not the biggest problem I have in life that's for sure but I don't think it's acceptable. Of course that's just my opinion.

Well she won't be going racing anymore because of it as its got so bad it has totally put her off now. Just another loss of one more person to the hobby due a small minority of racers that can not (or will not) control their tongue.

It is a real shame as it is something we enjoyed doing together. See if we can find something else. Is there the same swearing at Little leagues or kids sports?
Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? It seems like more and more, we've grown to shield children from real life, instead of teaching them diversity. I'm assuming neither child is allowed to see a movie rated worse than PG, and isn't allowed to watch TV, right?

Let me guess, do you use the term "trigger" a lot, and have a "safe zone" for you and your children?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? It seems like more and more, we've grown to shield children from real life, instead of teaching them diversity. I'm assuming neither child is allowed to see a movie rated worse than PG, and isn't allowed to watch TV, right?

Let me guess, do you use the term "trigger" a lot, and have a "safe zone" for you and your children?
Conversely, what's wrong with trying to change something that has a negative impact on a child? Why have your first action be to suck it up and say 'Honey, go ahead and let bad things happen around you - be a pushover your whole life. There are some jerks in the world and you'll have to deal with it. Watch me, and never try to fix things that you don't like.'?

I think trying to make a positive change is a lot harder than trying to deal with a problem and builds more character .. and being an adult trying to work with other adults sets an example.

If that doesn't work, then sure - teach them to deal with adversity, to ignore some things, teach them that they're just words.

You say diversity like it's a bad thing. I feel you should always expose children to diversity. You should slowly introduce adversity as they get older because children's coping mechanisms aren't always at a state to understand it and I think this is the reason for the thread. Grown men are intimidating a child, perhaps because she may not have the coping mechanisms yet; we don't know the child's age.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Really??!?

I'm certainly not a fan of not teaching children how to cope in uncomfortable and difficult situations but your thinking seems off center to me. I wasn't raised in a ultra conservative non exposed childhood. But we weren't allowed to watch PG13 or R movies before it was appropriate. Is the idea to expose them to things their minds aren't able to cope with in an effort to harden them off? Aren't children supposed to be allowed to be children? Not the self entitled, rude and obnoxious youths that the world seems to be full of? I think the dilution of morals, manners and common sense is a tragedy. A lot of people feel like this generation of young parents need to reinvent parenting...that they know how to do it better than our parents did. I'm sorry...in general parents are doing a worse job than any previous generation. And it's a lot of this kind of thinking that allows children to be exposed and grow up too quickly. To each there own but don't question folks that want to keep old fashioned morals and good manners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.