Community
Wiki Posts
Search

laundry soap or soybean oil??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default laundry soap or soybean oil??

We have an indoor clay/sand banked oval track. In the past we've used laundry soap to help make the dirt sticker and keep dust down. Recently iv heard of tracks using ssoybeen/vegetable oil. I'm just wondering if it grooves up beter and will keep patches of surface from pealing off. Any input will help and be appreciated thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

I have used laundry detergent on my outdoor clay track. It helped the dirt stay wetter, longer. That's because of the wetting agents in detergent. So it really only works if you want to keep things wet longer. I have no idea about cooking oil, but it I was going to use a oil type of base. I would go with diesel fuel. It would be way cheaper than cooking oil.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Homer Allman
I have used laundry detergent on my outdoor clay track. It helped the dirt stay wetter, longer. That's because of the wetting agents in detergent. So it really only works if you want to keep things wet longer. I have no idea about cooking oil, but it I was going to use a oil type of base. I would go with diesel fuel. It would be way cheaper than cooking oil.
Homer do they have EPA Agents in Virginia?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer Allman
Diesel fuel was used on dirt kart tracks for years until they realized it was illegal to pour it into the ground. Then we starting using it on the tires instead. Then that got banned. Anything you pour onto the ground is probably not good for the soil or any possible water sources. Sugar water on the other hand holds track together like concrete. Just be ready for extreme tire wear
Old 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Whosold the Tiltyard is all natural with zero additives. :-) EPA, never heard of them in my area, not even after Jay Miller leaves. haha
Old 10-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

We're pretty safe to put what we want in it where it's indoors and has pool liner under the dirt. Trying to avoid the sugar just cause of the tire ware. Bk when we were racing full size cars on dirt I think there was more motor oil and such in the dirt then water lol
Old 10-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Something seems odd about spraying fuel indoors but also sounds like a great time lol
Old 10-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Racermac73
Something seems odd about spraying fuel indoors but also sounds like a great time lol

Not fuel oil. soy bean or vegetable oil