R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Racing Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum-6/)
-   -   Sept17th Rosewood,NC Warmup Race (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/81019-sept17th-rosewood-nc-warmup-race.html)

imprsme 09-05-2005 02:16 PM

Brandon- Straight from the guys at Superior Hobbies and Jackson RC it has to be cut 50-50 with denatured alcohol

xDeeDubYax 09-05-2005 03:41 PM

Lowes sells the denatured alcohol in gallons, its fairly cheap too.

- DaveW

imprsme 09-05-2005 03:58 PM

Yep I think it is less than $5 a gallon.

Guys we are thinking that if Glenn will allow this that I can get two Gallons of VHT shipped to my door for $49.42 + the $10 for the 2 gallons of Alcohol. So that is $60

I know we had about 10 ppl at logans that said they would pitch in. So if everyone added $6 together we can do it. fairly cheap. If more came and wanted to comtribute then that is better for us... Now we just need teh OK from the MAN!

John Tag 09-05-2005 04:56 PM

Its better applied race day...Just a thought so friday doesn't get run up.

JimmyMac 09-05-2005 05:34 PM

We'll see tomorrow night......

JimmyMac 09-06-2005 04:02 PM

Glenn said okay on the VHT or whatever. So it's up to yall to do it if you want to still do it and find who wants to pay for it.. hehe..

imprsme 09-06-2005 05:23 PM

Ok guys I talked to Rob at Corally/Superior Hobbies today. he said two gallons was PLENTY! That we may could get by with one one. But i would rather have enough for sure. If we have left over then se can save it for another time. He also said that they cut it 50/50 or even as low as 4 to 1.

I can order two gallons of VHT Trackbite shipped to my door for $50. The Denatured alcohol from Lowes was $13 a gallon! I was thinking it was around $5 but that was for quart size.

So if everyone wants to do this that are the prices.

So its around $80 total. I know there were 10 of us at logans Sat. and if we can get a few more then we can do if for about $6-7 a person.

Just let me know so I can order the VHT or if someone else wants to order tehn here is the link:
http://vht.carshopinc.com/product_in...id/56276/SP162

John Tag 09-06-2005 05:42 PM

Im in for $7 :p

imprsme 09-06-2005 06:48 PM

Guys I just got an E-mail from Joe Freitas (speedline Hobbies) he says that They did not use VHT at the warm up. That they have found it to be very inconsistant. Now they are using 10lbs of sugar and 3 liters of grape soda mixed in a 5 gallon bucket the rest of the bucket filled with water. He says that has produced the best results and can be duplicated everytime.

So if you guys want to do that, it would A: be cheaper B: be what you are gonna see at the nats.

So take a vote this weekend and see what everyone wants to do.

ChadCapece 09-06-2005 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by imprsme
Guys I just got an E-mail from Joe Freitas (speedline Hobbies) he says that They did not use VHT at the warm up. That they have found it to be very inconsistant. Now they are using 10lbs of sugar and 3 liters of grape soda mixed in a 5 gallon bucket the rest of the bucket filled with water. He says that has produced the best results and can be duplicated everytime.

So if you guys want to do that, it would A: be cheaper B: be what you are gonna see at the nats.

So take a vote this weekend and see what everyone wants to do.

Make sure you dissolve the sugar in the soda before you spray. We used grapesoda and sugar water last week, and it clogged up the sprayer real bad. It would probably be best to boil the sugar in the soda before you bring it to the track.

Brandon Melton 09-06-2005 07:02 PM

I want to do what Freitas is doing. Just do the math and see what it breaks down to, because most sprayers are 2 gallon, I know mine is.

imprsme 09-06-2005 08:05 PM

Brandon he is mixing it in a 5 gallon bucket then pouring into a sprayer. he did say to MIX IT VERY WELL! That they clogged up a few sprayers the first few times they did it!

But I would think if it is mixed for a GOOD WHILE it should be good to go!

I am with you on what they are doing is what I want to run on also.

John Tag 09-07-2005 04:23 AM

I do agree...VHT is VERY trickey as we ran that at Jackson with mixed results..If it could be good 1 round and su** another...suger water would be better as I ran a track in PA that did that and every time the track was awsome.

Brandon Melton 09-07-2005 08:43 AM

Sounds like a no brainer to me then. Maybe somebody should mix it on Friday and that way it's disolved good for Saturday, unless someone can spray Friday for practice, mix it on Thursday.

On secod thought, since we are taking the "cheap way", if someone has a sprayer, maybe you guys could make a trial run this weekend. I remember when the guys at Easley did it their first time, they learned what worked better for next time (even though it was Ok the first time).

xDeeDubYax 09-07-2005 10:15 AM

I can vouch for a bucket and mop. Sounds stupid, but, you mix your sugar and soda with HOT water in the bucket... and literally mop it on the track... just the groove. You dont slop it on there, but use the mop slightly wrung out. The good thing about it... no clogged sprayers... your mixture stays hot if you leave the bucket in the sun, the mixture stays mixed during the entire application due to the mop mixing the bucket water when you redip, and the asphalt gets saturated. As the heat hits it... you can REALLY feel the tack when you walk across it. It IS a little more labor than the sprayer, but mops are a dime a dozen at Lowes, and if you have a few people doing it, it takes about the same time it would take for one guy with a sprayer to do the same job. Not to mention all the snickering and finger pointing. I for one would reel at the sight of a mop in Brandons hand... i think you guys might too. :smile:

"you wanna know how i know youre gay....?"

"is it the mop in my hands?" :sweat:

-DaveW

ChadCapece 09-07-2005 03:21 PM

brandon, have tag give you a report on the traction after this Saturday. We've got the coat of soda and rubber down from last time, and were going to soak the track this time with soda :) It will be like an outdoor carpet track :D j/k

Brandon Melton 09-10-2005 12:02 PM

Bump.

Track will be treated as the track at Speedline for the nationals.

ChadCapece 09-10-2005 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
brandon, have tag give you a report on the traction after this Saturday. We've got the coat of soda and rubber down from last time, and were going to soak the track this time with soda :) It will be like an outdoor carpet track :D j/k

Our track sucked. All that sugar from last week just picked up dust. The air compressor had a good work out from the TC guys.

JimmyMac 09-10-2005 09:00 PM

Well that's not sounding good!

I think it was brought up that if the track is to be "treated" Saturday, it should be treated Friday as well for those who want to practice. So I guess it should be decided if the track will be treated or not.

Also, the "Mini" class has been added for fun on the 17th. We just started a Tamiya Mini Class here. Running by TCS rules for that class. We mainly do it for fun and hacking each other around the track.

Anyways, Friday practice. The "doors" open up noonish on Friday if you want some power/pits. Saturday racing starts at 1pm. Doors open around 9am. Entry fee is still $20. Classes are Stock Touring, Mod Touring, and Mini. Basic Roar Rules apply for Touring. Tamiya Mini is of course TCS rules.

Well ran some CS27's today. They were "okay". Not as fast as my Sorex 36s (even with a low track temp). But still okay. Track has seemed to have changed. Slower or something. Also windy today. Blah blah.

I'm tired.. off to bed.... :o

imprsme 09-11-2005 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by KilRuf
Well that's not sounding good!

I think it was brought up that if the track is to be "treated" Saturday, it should be treated Friday as well for those who want to practice. So I guess it should be decided if the track will be treated or not.

Jimmy really how many ppl are gonna come Fri. for practice? I hate to say this but this race is looking more like a regular club race. ...Which is nothing wrong with that, just not the interest as the last few years. Or is everyone keeping quiet?

Is there anyone that can treat the track Fri.? I have no plans to come down or I would do it. But I can't justify 2hrs away with another room for Fri. night.

Do you think the TRACK OWNER would be willing to do it? LOL

Its not rocket science. Boil water with 10lbs of sugar. Add 3 liters of grape soda to a 5 gallon bucket and mix WELL! Then spray or Mop it on (as suggested earlier) Should take all of about 30 mins to apply!

JimmyMac 09-11-2005 04:22 PM

Just trying to make sure if you are gonna treat the track Saturday or not. If not, then there is no use in treating it Friday. If you are gonna treat it Saturday, then I'm sure someone at the track will treat it Friday. Just need to know if you or anyone else is gonna do it Saturday or not.

As for the track owner doin it, it was your idea to treat it. He doesn't care if you do or not. But he doesn't have time to do it himself seeing as how he has a hobby shop to run in town all day Friday and the morning of Saturday. But nice try... hehe :p

You guys also gonna race Sunday too at Durham?

imprsme 09-11-2005 04:56 PM

Well since I am two hours from the track, my first question is.... Is anyone practicing Fri.? If Glenn is so busy with the hobby shop whos gonna open the track????

Second- can I get water at the track?

Third- Who can do it Fri. That is gonna be there?

You guys were there Sat. and Had to have talked about it! So give us the details of who is doing what.

I just thought the track owner MIGHT show some intrest in HIS track! Since the Hobby shop doesn't open until 9am I thought HE might could help out a little and do it Fri. morning before going to the hobby shop.... But what was I thinking! Also it was his Idea that if has to be done Fri. if it is done Sat. I have Sat. covered....

So let me also guess that since Brandon and I are the only ones going to the Nats now, then this isn't the "good idea" it was three weeks ago, HUH????

Also, in all honesty do I need to order "special" tires or is everyone still gonna run 27's?

John Tag 09-11-2005 05:05 PM

Hey me and JP are going too..Do we count :o

John Tag 09-11-2005 05:05 PM

Anthony call me...NOW :lol:

imprsme 09-11-2005 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by John Tag
Anthony call me...NOW :lol:

Yes sir!

Brandon Melton 09-11-2005 05:56 PM

I try to never have a negative attitude, but my feelings are this.

Screw the spray at this point. Looks like the same people who were wide open and willing for all of it last week, are now getting cold feet because the people farthest from the track won't commit to Friday. My speculation is that now that no one from the area is going to FL but us, no need to give it a "warm up" feel, because it's just a couple of us trying to "warm up".

I appreciate the job that Laurie does on the track, getting there early, blowing it off, etc. But Laurie is one guy who seems to care about the racing and track more than the most critical people.

I almost hate to bring up a sore subject, but there is a reason why the other area track is getting double the turn out, and that reason is double the effort on the part of the people who make it happen. Their efforts are appreciated, and I pay my entry to the people who make the club and track happen. In the case here, I don't give my entry to Laurie, it goes to the track, and the track in this case does not put forth very much effort, but rather it's the racer(s).

I offer to bring my equipment and do what I can to give everyone the kind of race they wanted for next weekend, and since I can't be there early enough, it sounds like the idea is trying to be scratched. I call races if needed (because I like to help and make good times for everyone), smile, respect everyone, but I gotta say that if didn't have a wedding to go to on Sunday, I might would just get my track time elsewhere.

I have more, but am going to stop now to save face.

xDeeDubYax 09-11-2005 06:05 PM

Brandon, you know i was just jokin about the mop thing... right? :(

Last i heard, KT wasnt going, none of the other boys from DRCW are planning on the nats, or see no need to roll out there if they arent going. (traveling expense) Im still on for work the 16th, and wont get off till the 17th at 6am. So that puts me out too. I just need to win the lottery so i can quit this "work" thing.

I got the FTTC4, sweet ride. Its still AE thru and thru. It did well on the rug today. There is a strong RDX following popping up here, its nice to see something else besides XRAYS.

- DaveW

Brandon Melton 09-11-2005 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by xDeeDubYax
Brandon, you know i was just jokin about the mop thing... right? :(

Last i heard, KT wasnt going, none of the other boys from DRCW are planning on the nats, or see no need to roll out there if they arent going. (traveling expense) Im still on for work the 16th, and wont get off till the 17th at 6am. So that puts me out too. I just need to win the lottery so i can quit this "work" thing.

I got the FTTC4, sweet ride. Its still AE thru and thru. It did well on the rug today. There is a strong RDX following popping up here, its nice to see something else besides XRAYS.

- DaveW

No problem on the mop thing, we all make jokes :) .

I understand about "not going to nats, so not coming to race", but to be honest, we didn't have a "reason" to come to Debbies a couple times last year either. I am not singleing out you and Keith, there's others there who say they are gonna "get down there and race with ya'll" everytime we come up. Those trips don't come free either, especially from Charlotte, and the other places the other guys come from. Just because they don't need nats practice doesn't mean that the race won't still be a fun race for them to come down to. Doesn't really matter I guess, just a view from the outside looking in. Usually one hand washes the other, I guess we'll just keep doing the washing for now.

Yeah, the FT TC4 looks nice, I talked to Beasley and he was happy with his for the first week. Should be better on the rug since they stiffened it a good bit.

JimmyMac 09-11-2005 09:25 PM

Anthony, I'm sure you know who is gonna open up the track early both days. So that means I'm sure you'll know who is gonna "sugar" up the track Friday if they have to. But the question is, are you gonna do it Saturday???? So, yes it was discussed this past Saturday. They just want to know what you are gonna do. That's it. Also, they don't have a sprayer and were asking if anyone had one to bring Friday. So it's not like the interest wasn't there. "They" are just worried that "other" people who might come and practice will be upset or disappointed that the track wasn't "sugared" up Friday but it was Saturday. That's all. "They" could care less if it was or wasn't. It was your call.

As for "special tires", that's totally up to you. If you feel you need something more than CS27's to win, then do so. I ran them (premounted CS27's) this past Saturday and they were "okay". Not as fast as my mounted up Sorex's. But then again, Sorex's aren't legal this coming Saturday. If you are worried that George and Laurie are gonna use Premounted CS32's or RP30's (which are legal) then that's you. I'm not worried. My premounted 27's will be just fine. I had to make slight setup changes to the car since I lost steering goin to that tire. So again, ask yourself this. Are you worried about George and Laurie using other tires? Or are you worried about setups running sugar water and CS27's before the Nats?

Anyways, sorry if this is getting out of hand. I appologize to every here. I'm just trying to get things decided and straightened out before this weekend so we can get things right.

And as for Brandon's comment. I agree as well. I've heard many times they will come down. They never do. But I still head up to VA from time to time. Returning the favor I guess. Kinda like the PA/MD boys heading down here last year, so we went up this year. Anyways, I (we) just seem to get the short end of the stick.. hehe... I'll just go race every where that I can to support all that I can because I love racing. That's why I still go to Durham. It's the people I enjoy being with. Politics suck!! haha... :ha:

imprsme 09-11-2005 10:01 PM

Jimmy The only thing I and the other 10 ppl at the table that Sat. night agreed to was spraying the track Sat. I knew then I wasn't coming on Fri. to a track that I race on every other week for MORE practice.

So If Laurie is opening the track on Fri. and someone has a sprayer he can use then and he doesn't mind doing it Fri., I guess I/We can spray it Sat.

I just thought it is/was funny that at Logan's 11 ppl. were READY and WILLING to do the spraying. I even heard "yeah I would like to see how the track is, sprayed" Then it was asked about tires, I again heard 6-7 guys say I will run 27's no problem. Now here we are 1 week out from the race and it is being ask of the guys 2-3 hrs from the track what they are gonna do on Fri.

You and I know why certain ppl are SO WORRIED if the track is sprayed Fri. for THIER practice! I mean they aren't really the ones that need the practice for the nats on that surface, Right? The ones that are going and asked this understood it was only talked about for Sat.

As for tires, I just want to know what the ones that said "I will" are going to do? I really don't care if I win or lose the ROSEWOOD Trophy race. I would be there either way. I am doing this for a BIGGER reason..... So as I said I will be running 27's. I have been running them in practice for a few months now.

It just seemd that the ones that agreed were all of a sudden up in the air!

I guess if Laurie is opening on Fri. I may catch up with him and see if anyone is rooming with him Fri.

JimmyMac 09-11-2005 10:44 PM

He will be there Friday. He just needs a sprayer. I don't mind buying some sugar and soda. That's dirt cheap. I myself have to work Friday. So I won't get to the track til say.... 5ish. Otherwise I'd spray it myself. But right now he is trying to source out a sprayer for the track.

As for tires, that reminds me.... I need to get up with Glenn and buy some premounted 27's this week!! Otherwise I'll have to order some off the net... and I just placed an order from Speedtech... D'oh!!! Maybe I can quick email him and get him to add a set of tires in that order!! haha....

I hate to say this. Especially with me being an asphalt person. But I can't wait til carpet season!! hehe...

JimmyMac 09-11-2005 10:59 PM

Nevermind, they are out of stock.... I'll have to swing by Glenn's tomorrow!!

John Tag 09-12-2005 04:31 AM

I love carpet :nod:

Brandon Melton 09-12-2005 05:42 AM

Tires won't be an issue. The cs-27 class will be more known as the "mod" class.

Jairo- call me. WE WILL GET YOU TO FL!!! I know Doug will be looking for a roomate. You would be more than welcome with us, but we have 4 in the room as it stands. PLAN ON GOING :D :nod: .

John Tag 09-12-2005 06:08 AM

Jario we have a soft side tub :D Hell rub a dub dub Jario in the tub :nod:

John Tag 09-12-2005 06:09 AM

I plan on running cs-27's with tire hardner for sauce is that ok..just need to make sure I bring enough JB weld to coat my tires :sneaky:

Brandon Melton 09-12-2005 06:54 AM

There ya go, a pillow and blanket in the tub and your all set :lol: .

Speedlinehobbie 09-12-2005 07:12 AM

Just wanted to let you guys know , if you are still planning on signing up for the Nats , I have waived the ROAR $20.00 late fee because of the current economics situation .
With the price of gas , and everything else , i just wanted help as many people make the race as possible . Hope you guys have a good warmup race , see ya in a few weeks

xDeeDubYax 09-12-2005 07:40 AM

I agree totally on the hand washing. The majority of our local racers are comprised of people that dont wanna lose. When they went to the Coliseum track, they had their asses handed to them, and come back asking "what did we do wrong?" They need to realize that losing is what should make you faster. Instead they pout and decide not to go anywhere else for the ass whuppin they can get at home. Jimmy has always come our way and run at our races, and it is always good to see him come this way, he and all of you guys are welcome faces. But like Jimmy said, the politics here are poo poo. We cant even get a plan from our local track as to when we will be running the rug. The word is, "hes in no rush to get the racing started". They have however been very generous and letting us practice freely, and never saying a word. Our racer count here is at an all time low. HTUSA has few (10) people show out, STREAM on Hampton side didnt have enough to show saturday for racing, and he was even providing coffee/donuts and the like. His decision is no more effort for racing, because of the lack of interest. Cant say i blame him. DRCW, has always had a massive turnout, and only to watch it die... for reasons we wont get into. Alot of our locals have gone to nitro 1/8 scale, causing electric to slowly die... even when electric TC is at its all time big. Heck i moved back here from Alabama looking forward to some racing, only to find the racing here is almost as dead as it was there.

As far as me personally, the wife and i share one car, going out of town isnt an option unless she comes with, or i have a ride. The last thing im going to do is leave her home with no transportation, short of the bus, for that length of time. Even though she does love to come to the track, its alot of me to ask her to do it for a whole weekend. Last thing i would want her to ask me to do is goto the Pottery Barn and shopping all friggen weekend. Trust me, if i could, i would be there running with you guys in a heartbeat, Pantera blaring out the CD player, top back, trunk packed, and on that road poppin' 100mph to NC. Racing is in my blood, has been since the early 90's, and living next to Langley speedway and hearing all that HP every saturday night doesnt help it any. R/C is the only outlet for my addiction. It just so happens were a little dry on the supply here. LOL

Anyways, i hope things go well for the 17th, and some practice and good times is had by all. :D

- DaveW

Doug D 09-12-2005 08:08 AM

Wow!

Sounds like things are heating up in Rosewood...LOL Hmmmm 5.5 hour drive to Rosewood this weekend or 4 hour drive for a Speedline club race....I think you know my choice :)

Jario, PM me! I'm heading to the Nats, let me know if your looking for a roomate!