Wiki Posts
Search

Willis Hobbies Thread v2

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by mstng87gt
2. I got a JR reciever (the stock one that comes with the XS3, the synthasized one). Anyone want to buy it or trade it for an ESC?? email/PM me
what kind of esc are you looking for?
how old is the receiver and what condition? [/B][/QUOTE]

The ESC I'm looking of ris one that fits in and works in a 1/12 scale, The reciever is the one I got with the radio when I bought it when the radio first came out. It works, last time used was last Summer and it's in pretty good shape. It was in an RC10Gt, but it was enclosed in a RPM recieverbox.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone have any tips on the best way to get the tweak springs on the holders in a CRC?? i've been having a real hard time getting them on and it's pissing me off!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Evilpete
Anyone have any tips on the best way to get the tweak springs on the holders in a CRC?? i've been having a real hard time getting them on and it's pissing me off!!!
yeah the first time i did that it was a pain but you have to thread them on counter clockwise and try to clip em on at the same time
Old 03-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Place the spring on the holder, hold it down with your finger, and use a small screwdriver or x-acto knife to push the last coil into the slot on the holder.

Patience, grasshopper.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips guys, got the springs on my car now, and my fingers are killing me!!!I got my car all ready now (sans motor and ESC), but then again I may hold off getting that until the start of next season.

one more thing: what's the best way to discharge batteries? I am looking at a couple options for getting a discharger, be it fon a new charger or build one etc. Just want to know how do most of you guys do it
Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Get a Novak Smart Tray...... Nuff' said..
Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by nmt6789
Get a Novak Smart Tray...... Nuff' said..
I personally like the Novak Smart Tray. More and more people seem to "forget" the concept of discharging today. Now, including me, I just run my batts. and then I just throw them on the tray, without actually discharging. The proper way would be to dischare them at whatever amp draw your motor is pulling. (Rule of Thumb) In my opinion, I would get any of the Integy Trays. Specifically the Octance 2 (20 Amp dischare rate, 0.0 V cutoff) But, thats just my opinion. They also have the 30 Amp verison.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Paul_TC4
I personally like the Novak Smart Tray. More and more people seem to "forget" the concept of discharging today. Now, including me, I just run my batts. and then I just throw them on the tray, without actually discharging. The proper way would be to dischare them at whatever amp draw your motor is pulling. (Rule of Thumb) In my opinion, I would get any of the Integy Trays. Specifically the Octance 2 (20 Amp dischare rate, 0.0 V cutoff) But, thats just my opinion. They also have the 30 Amp verison.
Completely untrue with NiMh cells they don't develope a memory like NiCd's did... Also... If you put your pack on a 30 amp discharge right after you finnish running, you may get a few good seconds out of it before the machine turns itself off because you've reached the cutoff.... If you set your 6 cell pack to 5.40v have you truely gotten each cell down to .9v? Nope.... Also, how do you know what kind of amps your pulling? You'd need a data recorder on the car, who has one of those??? With a lower amp draw while final discharging you get less voltage drop and a better final discharge.... Take a pack, put a voltmemter on it and put it on a 30 amp discharge, the voltage drops real quick... Leave the meter on and watch the voltage bounce right back up again.... Be careful with discharging to 0.0v, a few chargers don't like charging a battery discharged that much....
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

I know you shouldn't go down to 0.0, the batteries may not charge right after that (false peaks and bad voltage for the first few cycles)

Last night I found a discharger I built a while ago and it seems to still work (no bulbs broke or anything). I may just use that. Now I just have to get a ne charger since mine's broke and the other charger I have (Tekin bc5a) was made before NIMH were made for RC, and I'm not in the mood to sit there and take temp/voltage readings every single charge
Old 03-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

When I was using a Deans bulb discharger, my best pack would charge to 2900... When I switched to a smart tray, it went to 3700..
Old 03-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't pay that much attention to the estimates mah you see from the chargers... If you charge and discharge a pack the same way, try it on different chargers you'll get a different reading.... Pay attention to how hot the pack is getting....
Old 03-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Completely untrue with NiMh cells they don't develope a memory like NiCd's did...
nimh DO develop memory. ever wonder why you have to replace your packs every season?
i've been using the same 2 unmatched packs now since january-even though i haven't used them much recently- and they still charge up well past 3700. they are strong for just under 9 minutes in race conditions. plenty of rip too.
i charge them at 5 amps and 20 millivolt drop and drop them to 0.0v at 20 amps after the end of each run.
but then again, what do i know, zeroing packs kills their life
Old 03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

nimh DO develop memory. ever wonder why you have to replace your packs every season?
Will... Did you ever seriously race using NiCd's??? You'd really have to deal with them consistently to realize that they develop a memory if you consistently only partially discharge them....

You replace your packs every season??? I'm doing 8 minutes with a QM on 2 to 2 1/2 year old batteries.... At least 1 of my packs is that old.... But it still goes the full run and then some.... Half of my 6 cell packs ar well over a year old also.... I might buy 1 pack a year and make it my main's pack.....

Charge one of your packs on my T35 and see how many Mah it reads....
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Default Bye-Bye Nitro

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5965437174
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

I guess it wasnt dialed........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.