Wiki Posts
Search

3rd Annual 24 Heures Du Jackson 9/15-16/2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Z
Like to say thank you, again for letting me jump abroad the team this year. It was a lot of fun.

Hat's off to Greg, and his supporting cast for a great event
Haha, surprised you still talk to us after making you drive half the night.

Couldn't have done it without you, great job.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Al Sodano
WOW !!!! I'm still sleeping lol

Congratulations to team rated r for there win. You guys are tough!

Hats off to my team mates TEAM MARK MARTIN: Barry Lofton, Jeff Jones, Jason Swift, Rui Goncalves,Greg Sharpe.. Best car ever in every way!!!
Just some unfortunate problems that we had to overcome. AND WE DID!
It's amazing we were able to come in second after what we went thru.

Thanks again to my team mates for making it a great time!!!

Yup - team Rated-R certainly deserves a tip of the hat... Outstanding performance this year - you guys were untouchable.

Team Mark Martin - as usual, all of you put in a top-notch effort, especially during those off-track moments that we managed to avoid during the first two events. Despite the severity of the failures we encountered during the first few hours, we managed to put in a solid 2nd place run and learn a few things along the way. Special thanks to my teammates Al Sodano, Rui Goncalves, Jason Swift, Jeff Jones, and Greg Sharpe for their determination and commitment to this year's 24 hour campaign, and a big "thank you" goes out to all of the racers that attended this event.

As for the Team Mark Martin failure list, I believe this list comprehensively covers the final tally:
  1. Fake Deans plug with no continuity causes 5 minute pit stop
  2. Battery hits unnecessarily high lipo cut-off (set for 3.1v/cell, BTW), dies on track, no one figures out why it stopped, changed pack, 5 minute pit stop
  3. Reversed polarity during battery change, popped first ESC, 12 minutes in pits
  4. Another Fake Deans plug with no continuity causes another 5 minute pit stop
  5. Wing knocked off in heavy crash, no one notices for 15 minutes
  6. Front right dogbone vanishes, driver doesn't notice until end of stint, 4 minute pitstop ensues
  7. Attempt to resolve handling woes without rear wing fails, car brought in to repair and reattach rear wing (5 minute pit stop)
  8. Fully intact R8 rear wing donated by Team SJCCR, and attached to car
  9. Servo travel magically vanishes - adding dual rate allows servo to work properly, then requires removal of the additional dual rate to allow car to be considered "driveable". It becomes apparent that a new servo will need to replace the 9 year old unit used this year for next year's effort.
  10. Second rear wing failure required reinstallation of the repaired wing - off track repair combined with battery and tire change kept car off track for 5 minutes
  11. 1/10 scale Audi R8 takes on the butt end of a track divider - track divider wins decisively. Right front suspension R&R takes several minutes to repair.
  12. lower left rear shock mount detaches from lower arm, requires yet another off-track repair.
One thing can be said for having to overcome all of these probelms - it did keep us busy!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Unofficial Entry List:
[B]#1 JRC Unplugged: Barry Lofton, Jason Swift, Rui Goncalves, Al Sodano, Scooby, Jammin' Jeff Jones, and Greg Sharpe aiming to not finish second AGAIN.....
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

From this

To this

Look at the wing repair!! Think that was around 3AM...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

We Must Be Crazy!

We made it home uneventfully. I want to thank Greg and all of the competitors at the event. We finished fourth in our first outing. We got the pole and fourth in concourse as well. I never thought in a million years that we would do that well, especially with only 3 drivers and me (the 'team manager'?)

We went into the night 8th and came out 6th or 5th, with two drivers alternating 3-pack stints all night. Sean and Ed are IRONMEN! I managed the batteries and Rick pitted through the night.

To top it off, with 2 hours to go we lunched the spur, and cut our 4th place 'lead' to 2 laps. It was down to less than 10 feet before the other guys had an unfortunate issue.

I had a blast as did the rest of the team. I met a lot of great guys and fierce competitors. I would like to say we'll be back, but that remains to be seen. It depends on where we are when this comes around in '13.

Tommy Ingram

Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks to warfield for being the kind of person who wants to do this, and thanks to Ed Z for the 2:30am battery pack long conversation about bowling
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...2024%20heures/

I have some short video clips ill try and post soon.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
From this

To this

Look at the wing repair!! Think that was around 3AM...
WOW!!!! What a difference 1 day makes!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
WOW!!!! What a difference 1 day makes!!!
Awesome pics!!!!!

Congratz to all the teams on a job well done....Almost as fun watching on Ustream....
Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I like to thank Greg and crew for putting on such a great event ..
Team Brooklyn hobbies had a pretty rough start , we didnt have the car ready at 2pm , we finally got on the track around 2:30 , and 15 minutes into the first battery we stripped a spur gear , my fault .. not putting the motor in the correct position on the mount ... but after that i have to say we ran the rest of the race without any mechanical issues...
We battled hard all day and thru the night , I think it was around 10pm we moved into 3rd place, ..and started to set our sights on 2nd , but the top 2 teams were just too far ahead and too consistant for us to catch..
Congrats to all the teams that particapated in this event , this was our first year and we all enjoyed ourselves, and were already talking about next year .

One of my teammates had this to say , and i quote "I've been racing 20 years and this is the most fun i ever had with a r/c car ................
Richie S.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rob B99
Team Brooklyn hobbies had a pretty rough start , we didnt have the car ready at 2pm , we finally got on the track around 2:30 , and 15 minutes into the first battery we stripped a spur gear , my fault .. not putting the motor in the correct position on the mount ... but after that i have to say we ran the rest of the race without any mechanical issues...
We battled hard all day and thru the night , I think it was around 10pm we moved into 3rd place, ..and started to set our sights on 2nd , but the top 2 teams were just too far ahead and too consistant for us to catch..
Congrats to all the teams that particapated in this event , this was our first year and we all enjoyed ourselves, and were already talking about next year .

One of my teammates had this to say , and i quote "I've been racing 20 years and this is the most fun i ever had with a r/c car ................
Richie S.
Word Rob.

A lot of cool guys at this event. You did an amazing job on the car, thing was dialed. I take responsibility for coming out late, paint-job wasn't totally finished basically because of me.
I would like to give a huge shout out to my teammates. You guys were amazing, and I'm really proud that we worked our way up from dead last 300 laps down (I think that's basically what it was) from comfortable third. It was indeed our first 24 Heures du Jackson, it was my personal first race in electric (freekin enjoyed it!). Anyway, I can say with confidence that the whole Team Brooklyn hobbies had a great time!

Big thanks and congratulations to all the other teams.

Last edited by Joe Kimble; 09-18-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rob B99

Richie S.
Originally Posted by Joe Kimble
Word Rob.

A lot of cool guys at this event. You did an amazing job on the car, thing was dialed. I take responsibility for coming out late, paint-job wasn't totally finished basically because of me.
I would like to give a huge shout out to my teammates. You guys were amazing, and I'm really proud that we worked our way up from dead last 300 laps down (I think that's basically what it was) from comfortable third. It was indeed our first 24 Heures du Jackson, it was my personal first race in electric (freekin enjoyed it!). Anyway, I can say with confidence that the whole Team Brooklyn had a great time!

Big thanks and congratulations to all the other teams.
You guys did amazingly well being your first year.
Next year you'll know where to spend more time (LED program) and not.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TigeRyan
7th - Team SJCCR

To Jackson RC + Greg Sharpe --- Had an awesome time again this year at the 24 hours of Jackson...I love this event, I love everything about it, please keep it running every year!!!

More later, time for recovery...
yea, please keep it running - but move it a little later in the year Mid-September is bad for me

I will be back running at next year's event - can't believe I missed this one
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Thanks to warfield for being the kind of person who wants to do this, and thanks to Ed Z for the 2:30am battery pack long conversation about bowling
Wow, a long conversation about bowling and I missed it. That's ok, I had my long bowling conversation with Kregger in the car on the way down, as usual. He probably hates pickung me up now cause that's all I talk about. As far as the race goes, big thanks to Sharpie, and the whole Jackson crew for putting on another great race. I can't wait until next year. Backbreaker racing had a tough day. The list of issues was long. It took longer than expected to build the car. The paint job was a huge letdown for me. As I was painting it I was shaking my head knowing I screwed up. The car handled terrible, even though we built it exactly like the last 2 cars. We forgot to wire the lights into the speedo. All of our drivers had trouble keeping the car from snapping left in the sweeper. About 8:15pm it snapped around on us and drilled a board, then was hit by another car. That incident left us with a broken chassis. After that repair the snapping issue didn't go away. We lost a dogbone, making that issue worse. A few laps into my first dark stint, we long the lights when our quick solder job didn't hold up. We decided to rebuild the front diff to see if we can get the car under control. It helped, cause the car went from snapping around on lefts, to snapping around on rights. A trip to the tweak station, and some shims, and the problem... ...well it was still there. Even after dialing expo, and end point out of the radio, it still was a handfull, but at least somewhat drivable. Then we broke a steering knuckle. We were in dead last after all our issues, but we fought. We got all the way up to fifth. Then, during my last stint, only 30 laps or so behind 4th, we finally caught a break. 4th had issues, and was off the track. I drove the sitint of my life to make up ground, half way through my stint they came back on with only a 2 lap lead on us. I was in a zone, and I was determined yto make up those laps. I got all the 2 laps back, and drew up to the rear bumper of 4th. I almost made the move a few times, but restrained myslef. Then the pack dumped and I had to give up the chase. After both teams pitted we were 3 laps down, as we changed tires and the other team did not. Then, one last disaster. We started glitching, bad. We had been running the same motor from when we changed chassis, and that was just too much to ask from that motor. We did a motor swap, but we lost too much ground. 5th was the best we could do. Despite the problems, we had fun. That drive to draw to the bumper of 4th probably takes the top spot in my all time favorite race moments. Thanks to my team for not giving up, and making the most out of a bad situation. Now, can we please burn that car?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So that was you driving that stint. Great job, you really made what looked to be a boring cruise to fourth a much more interesting race.

Snap loose to the left seemed to be a problem for a lot of teams, especially on the softer night tires. I did a shock change twice to tweak it out of the car and it was only a slight improvement. Finally in the middle of the night with the car pretty much undriveable I started messing with the radio. Dialing the left steering endpoint WAY down finally made it driveable to the left with enough steering to the right. Only problem with that was getting off the boards after a spin or crash became tough with so little left steering throw. At slow speeds the car wouldn't turn left in a 40 acre field

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.