rumor of a new onroad track in maryland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rumor of a new onroad track in maryland

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

It's pretty scary convincing someone to put up 20 grand not knowing if the support will be there. I know this sport comes with a "build it and they will come" air, but it has to be built right and under the right conditions. If you guys give us the thumbs up, the owner wants to have asphalt trucks out there a s early as Thursday.

It may be best to google it, but the mall address is: 3801 Branch Ave, Temple Hills, MD 20748. Just like going to 301 Raceway, except you take exit 7B instead of 7A.

The track is located at the top of the parking deck, so you have to drive around the back of the mall and up the ramp. You'll be able to see the area that's sectioned off for the track. When you're standing at the track, if you look back at the mall, you will see an HPI sign. That's where the hobby shop is.

Carlton, Ken, D, thanks for support. As far as help, we'll probably need consulting, and maybe some painting help once the asphalt gets laid.

Carlton, we do want to consider 1/5 scale, but we are dealing with a 150' by 85' lot. I'm pretty sure that we can carve out a 1/5 scale layout, but I just don't know what that is. It looks like it will be a prime layout for sedan, GT, motorcycles, etc. But we're going to have to get really creative to let the 1/8 scales stretch out, and to get 1/5 scales going.

Right now, the 1/5 scales can run. I just think 1/5 will get crowded after about 5 or 6 of them on the track. We wanted to do 15' lanes, but we may have to settle for 12'.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If any of you ever ran at Doug's hobby shop this track would be bigger then the the track they had in the back of their store.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Attached for reference is a mock up of the area with the reverse messina track overlayed. I'm open to layouts that will accomodate 1/5 scale better.
Attached Thumbnails rumor of a new onroad track in maryland-iverson21.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

For further reference, according to wikipedia, Ft. Myers is 150' x 90', and we all know what 1/8 scales can do out there. But then, that's like one big sweeper out at Ft. Myers.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So they are going to shut down the drive up ramp on the right side of that pic, or am I looking at it the wrong way?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

This is sounding good. So will the hobbyshop stock race kits, engines, tires, etc? I havent ran on road in 3 years or so I still have the old mtx4 with a ninja, but doubt it will be able to keep up with the new stuff. Lets stop with all this glock stuff and the redneck stuff. Im from southern MD so not everyone down here is a redneck ok. So lets all play nice and be happy as hell there may be a new track
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
So they are going to shut down the drive up ramp on the right side of that pic, or am I looking at it the wrong way?
No plans to shut down the ramp. It won't interfere with the track itself. I don't think it will pose a distraction, but it is something to keep in mind.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony montana
This is sounding good. So will the hobbyshop stock race kits, engines, tires, etc? I havent ran on road in 3 years or so I still have the old mtx4 with a ninja, but doubt it will be able to keep up with the new stuff. Lets stop with all this glock stuff and the redneck stuff. Im from southern MD so not everyone down here is a redneck ok. So lets all play nice and be happy as hell there may be a new track
Hey K.C., good to see you're still in it!

The store will definitely stock engines, tires, etc. The merchandise is not there yet, but the owner realizes the importance of stocking the stuff that racers need.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do you plan to pave over the expansion joints on the parking deck?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

TED!!!!! How the hell are you man!! Good to hear that you guys are getting back into the R/C racing business!! Now you are making me carry a 1/10 scale again!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trixter91
Think about what your saying now.... A onroad track at Iverson Mall lol, how are you gonna be able to hold your transmitter when you're holding your glock at the same time. Just sayin'
Drivers drive!! The pit man holds the glock, ammo and the fuel!! ROAR ghetto rules!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah still in it Ted, Miss hearing Green, Green, Green. You are on of the best at calling races and look foward to racing with everyone again
Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by signguy
Do you plan to pave over the expansion joints on the parking deck?
Not exactly sure what expansion joints are. The lot does have several disjointed sections (since cars drive over it). We are NOT going to pave over those. If you're talking about expansion joints like in my driveway which is pretty much just a break in the concrete, we probably will be paving over those as needed. The current space has some sort of treatment or material laid over the whole area, so I haven't been able to identify any seems in the concrete.

The area designated for the track lies within one whole disjointed section, so there won't be a need to attempt to pave over that.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
TED!!!!! How the hell are you man!! Good to hear that you guys are getting back into the R/C racing business!! Now you are making me carry a 1/10 scale again!!
Herolin, what's up?!?! We're trying to get things going again if it makes sense to do so. It's going to take a lot of time, money, and energy, so hopefully we can get a feel on the value of doing it.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Ted how did you put the skin helment in your avatar? Im a die hard skin fan as well but this year im nervous about. I've been on rctech for 9 years and still havent fiqured out to put a avatar under my name lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.