Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Important Chipotle information for Keven - Location "B" is the closest
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UltegraSTI
how tarded is that, some have chargers that wont 'fudge' the 8.4v rule. they do 8.4 and thats it, moreover chargers that bled up to 8.44 in lipo's infancy.

now u all who are 'have-nots' have to go buy new chargers in addition to ur already bloated 'nats' bill. and more than likely the units that do more are dc only. so if u dont use a power supply now, invest in a PS or hook it up to ur car out in the parking lot and hope u dont have a lipo fire that sets a real car alight.

MEOW (lam3)

R
yea lame for a mid-season rule change...not so much for the haves v havenots

if you own a GFX you can adjust this already - so no need for a new charger..

most dudes - especially those attending this race - already have DC only chargers and power supplies, so I don't think that'll be too much of an issue...but i understand where you're coming from
Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well i meant to fact that many chargers (whether straight dc or 'bisexual') wont budge past 8.4v-per rules and deemed safety measure. even older chargers that bleed up to 8.44v will be not up to par. For example i'm readin the TP 610 manual, and it cant do it (at least til TP hurriedly releases a firmware change just for nationals). and that charger isnt cheap. yeh i like quite a few people dumped their high $ stuff for smaller basic chargers (Onyx230) b/c lipos were a diff animal, no more turbo 35s to lug around.

Clear as day these last couple mths, MEOW is tryin to help the manufs sell product. sadly it'll have the opposite effect long term.

Well, i hope all who need a new charger get it in time. Hey MEOW, stop tryin so hard to put a damper on a big event at a killer track. Never know it might help steer things the right way.

R

PS-Not much dumber an idea then to have people who dont have chargers w/a bit of 'creativity' in them, or have been updated to the loced 4.2/cell firmware, to be popping their batts in nickel mode to try and be near the limit and in the game. lipo sacks or not, it could surely be a disaster in waiting.

HEY MEOW, ever been to a dirt oval race? (clearly you havent and i laugh at ur thinkin of revamping you D.O. rules in 2010-thats why your not the sanctioning body. they didnt care for your politics and did their own deal-and its working).
i cant wait for guys at nats who wanna really take this change in rules to the limit and charge up like the dirtoval guys sometimes do under the table. Its a wonder what turnin to the screws to a lipo up to 4.5v/cell, pullin down hard on discharger (old school) in the tech line, tech out at 8.38 or whateva, sit car down on track and guess what her voltage has drifted right back up to 4.4-4.9v/cell. sounds great for the start and 1st couple laps. You wanna have people doin that in the pits or even on their personal vehicles depending on where they have to charge and what unit they have to do this bit of creativity with? Hell even the LRP thing every1 loves now is supposed to be updated such that u cant go below 4.2 IIRC, hence many are not updatin it to leave a lil wiggle rm if they wanted to get creative, here's ur shot.

Nonsense.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Ryan, Hanulec is right , speak ur mind on the roar forums, they monitor that. We are just the messenger , and since we r holding the nats, we r trying to bring everyone up to par.

There philosophy is if ur over 8.5000000 than ur tring to cheat,Hence no discharging and dq for round, because chargers in lipo mode won't go that high. Lol...at 8.40 they were seeing to many over the limit.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Honestly, if we are racing indoors on carpet 8.4 vs 8.5 might matter but I think we have all seen the fastest laps of a asphalt TC race occur during the middle of a race. I think everyone should focus on their car setup and driving --- and just ignore this 8.5v thing. The rule is to keep people from being DQ'd for the round ... and not to bench race to 8.5v
Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Yeh, i wont shoot the messenger but...

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Run mod, and that'll fix everything. Mod 12 anyone?

R
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey ultra - what classes are you planning to run this weekend at Jackson? ?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hanulec
Honestly, I think everyone should focus on their car setup and driving ---
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM

well i was lookin ahead with nats in mind. i would like to attend saturday but if i cant, i did want to come to practice on this open sunday. the VTA car just needs a 21.5 since you guys are not forcing novak upon us and i dont want to run another ballistic ever again if possible. That and 13.5 12 scale (or mod if thats what people want).

So you might say that any voltage fun and games would be an issue in only 1 of those 2 classes, but i just cant stand the principle. so snicker at me b/c i vocalized my disappointment publicly. its no reflection on jackson, not at all, i dig the place. Sorry, it is what it is and they make the rules, like them (_____) or not (check).

R
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Al Sodano
Hey Ryan, Hanulec is right , speak ur mind on the roar forums, they monitor that. We are just the messenger , and since we r holding the nats, we r trying to bring everyone up to par.

There philosophy is if ur over 8.5000000 than ur tring to cheat,Hence no discharging and dq for round, because chargers in lipo mode won't go that high. Lol...at 8.40 they were seeing to many over the limit.
IMO there will be just as many tech fails, you are just changing the number people shoot for, the same people are still going to be pushing the threshold. The difference is now you either have to buy a charger that has the capability to be calibrated (gfx, pulsar touch, etc, lots of money), or you have to play the charge it in nimh mode game, which could end very badly if someone gets distracted for a few minutes. Thank god I run mod and it doesn't matter cause we already have too much hp
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
IMO there will be just as many tech fails, you are just changing the number people shoot for, the same people are still going to be pushing the threshold. The difference is now you either have to buy a charger that has the capability to be calibrated (gfx, pulsar touch, etc, lots of money), or you have to play the charge it in nimh mode game, which could end very badly if someone gets distracted for a few minutes. Thank god I run mod and it doesn't matter cause we already have too much hp

+1

Also, can we sign up for a ROAR membership at the track? I don't know if I am still a member since its been about a year since my last ROAR event.

Last edited by KHoff7; 06-15-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default yes, bored at work....

per Steve Pond on the ROAR forums:

Hello Mike, and thanks for the question.

The logic behind the change in the voltage limit is this... Our current system allows for a maximum voltage, which has resulted in a number of complaints that sitting in the sun, or charger inaccuracy or for a number of other reasons, has increased the pack voltage beyond the legal limit. The competitor is then allowed a chance to run down the pack and rechecked. The 8.5 volt limit was chosen as a level that ANYONE peaking their pack at 8.4V, not matter how long the pack has been sitting in the sun or how bad the accuracy of the charger is, there's no way it can reach 8.5v. In making this change, however, we're also changing how tech inspection is performed. Now it's a one-shot deal. If you go to tech and your battery measures 8.500001v, the driver is DQed for that round or main.

Although some drivers are wanting to get a new charger so they can get that extra .1 volt (which doesn't really make sense because that's gone after the first warm-up lap), they risk being disqualified. We set the limit at a level that's nearly impossible to achieve when peaking a pack at 8.4v, even in a worst case scenario. That way, there's less fanfare about pack voltage and more about racing. But anyone who views this is an opportunity to overcharge their pack and push it right up to the limit, you won't get a second chance. If you tech over the limit, your DQed... period. My advice to everyone would be to continue charging up to an 8.4v peak, and just go racing. If you want to push your luck and get the other .06v because you think it's really going to make a difference on the track, do so at your own peril. No excuses will be accepted and if you fail tech, there's no second chance.
sounds valid to me - just hope the one-chance or DQ is fully followed
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KHoff7
+1

Also, can we sign up for a ROAR membership at the track? I don't know if I am still a member since its been about a year since my last ROAR event.
Yes we can.

ROAR has has alway been DQ on the spot with the previous voltages so I still don't see how it changes anything except the # to shoot for
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UltegraSTI
Yeh, i wont shoot the messenger but...

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Run mod, and that'll fix everything. Mod 12 anyone?

R
I'm in for mod sedan and 12th for the nats, not sure they will be offering mod 12th this weekend however.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mike Haynes
not sure they will be offering mod 12th this weekend however.
Mod 1/12??..... Would love to see 1/12 anything this weekend.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.