Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
How to score a race? >

How to score a race?

How to score a race?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How to score a race?

I am just getting into the off-road racing scene and I think it is awesome. However, I am still unsure how they determine the winner, 2nd place, 3rd place, etc. I have looked at a few score sheets before but each driver seems to finish with a different number of laps with a different time. Can someone please explain how all this works?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

scoring is done by a transponder a little red box that emits a signal there is a wire (loop) buried in the ground that picks up the signal sending it to the computer. The reason for different times and laps is because in RC racing we score qualifiers by time. You try and get as many laps in as you can usually a 5 or 7 minute run. lets say it's a 5 minute qualifier, when the loop goes live you have 5 minutes to get as many laps as you can and at the best time you can. Your 5 minute clock doesn't start until you cross the loop so if the loop goes live and you cross the loop 30 seconds after that you still have 5 minutes so that means when the computer reaches 5 minutes (master clock) keep driving cause you have an 30 second delay. This helps the racers because you are not racing the car in front of you you are racing the clock. So you could start in last place 20 seconds behind the first car that crossed the loop and you would be in first place. That's why announcers always say "spread out give each other room you are racing the clock not each other". Also since you have 5 minutes and if the average lap time was say 40 seconds you would cross the loop on your 7th lap at 4min40sec so your 5 minutes would expire while you are on your 8th lap giving you 8 laps at 5min20sec. For the mains we race heads up so you are racing the car in front of you. But we still race on a time limit so if first car laps the field twice and breaks in the last 30 seconds he will still win since he would have one more laps then the other cars. Also if he cross's the loop 10 seconds before time expires then he will get xx number seconds over the time limit. Hope this helps bud
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks so much. You made all that so easy to understand. Watching the races will be so much more enjoyable now
Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

another thing to pay attention to is the announcing of the times.

driver 1: 19 - 5:03
driver 2: 18 - 5:03

Driver 1 is faster than driver 2 because he is able to squeeze in one more lap in the time 5 minute qualifier. If he were to go even faster, it would go to 20 - 5:xx depending on the average laptime. It is good to hear the 5:xx number get lower because you know that you are on your pace - or going even faster.