Wiki Posts
Search

Offroad Dirt Indoor track prep?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Offroad Dirt Indoor track prep?

I`m currently building a indoor clay track. I have little experiance with preping indoor dirt track surfaces. Any one out there that can give me tips or even just how they build/ form the track would be great.

As of now once the jumps are formed I`ve been soaking the *#%$ out of it and basiclly troweling it smooth. then let it dry and dampen before racing.

Am I out to lunch?

Thanks Ryan
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im in the same boat you are. Im building a track, done spreading dirt, but I want mine to be smooth and hard packed, I just cant figure out how to get it like some of the smooth tracks you see on Youtube... I dont have a tractor and cant run it over with my car because the track is in a small place next to my house.

Are there any people out there who have built or maintain tracks that can help?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've checked the search on this in the past, the amount of info buried in this site is astounding. Here's all you gotta do to probably get every question you have answered... (theres no way to post a link)

Go up to the search button, then click advanced search.
Type the keyword 'track', and select the 'electric off road' and 'nitro off road' forums. There are a bunch of pages of threads by people in your shoes.

I've never built/maintained my own track, but I'm pretty sure I could learn all I needed from the results that come up. You can even add in the micro/mini forum to the search for some more results. Hope this helps
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you using a vibrating tamper ?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nothin special
Are you using a vibrating tamper ?
I tried looking for a vibrating tamper to rent but I am living in Northern Thailand and they are hard to find. They have plenty of elephants, maybe they have one that can vibrate for me.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

http://www.google.com/search?q=compa...ed=0CEUQzAMwAg This is what we use. and before that a yard roller full of water. and before that a drum with a bar threw it and full of cement .
Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

It sure would be nice to have one of those.

Originally Posted by nothin special
http://www.google.com/search?q=compa...ed=0CEUQzAMwAg This is what we use. and before that a yard roller full of water. and before that a drum with a bar threw it and full of cement .
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rideswings
I tried looking for a vibrating tamper to rent but I am living in Northern Thailand and they are hard to find. They have plenty of elephants, maybe they have one that can vibrate for me.
Well they could water the track for you.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When the clay came in most of it was wet. I used a skid steer to bring it in and pack it down. Some spotts are not as smooth as I would like. I did have a 24" tamper in to do some sections but being so wet it has left some gaps.

We have worked it over pritty well now and I have added water to soak all the soil and it seams to hold it together nicely. If it drys up too much it just starts to crumble. I was thinking of adding some top soil to the mikture to make it a little more workable but i dont want to loose it strenght and turn it to mud.

I`ll try to get some picks up shortly.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=fuzz86;8183096]When the clay came in most of it was wet. I used a skid steer to bring it in and pack it down. Some spotts are not as smooth as I would like. I did have a 24" tamper in to do some sections but being so wet it has left some gaps.

We have worked it over pritty well now and I have added water to soak all the soil and it seams to hold it together nicely. If it drys up too much it just starts to crumble. I was thinking of adding some top soil to the mikture to make it a little more workable but i dont want to loose it strenght and turn it to mud.

I`ll try to get some picks up shortly.

Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE Water at night super heavy and let sit