Search

ROAR Elections for President

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSeay
Jim,

While I dont know you personally, I appreciate that you sacrificed your racing enjoyment to support ROAR in your current capacity. I agree with senna that you have an extraordinary amount of patience, his example only highlights how business is done in secret behind closed doors, I wonder if the EXCOM believes that it knows better than the membership what it wants or needs.

The most recent rule for spec profiles is a perfect example of this. Was it needed, maybe? Certain tracks this may make sense. Larger tracks where 17.5 maybe painfully slow not so much. Where was the discussion held that the membership could have given any form of input to anyone within ROAR? It is no where on the website, not on any discussion board, is there a super secret discussion board that only the cool kid group of members have access to?

Somewhere along the line we are going to have be truthful at all levels and understand the communication that we think is going on within ROAR is not actually happening and when we address that issue head on can we begin to understand how to make this organization better for the members.
These people are far from being the cool kids
Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I think we all can agree that there are some issue with Roar (rules & elected officials) Who else is running for president? I like to hear from anyone else who has intrest in this. I am not sure if keeping silent is going to be the answer this year. But atleast to know who they are and little about there RC back ground.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Robert,

Your right, it is an issue, and as a candidate JD has not once indicated the 5W's of how if he were to be elected he would change things up. From the recent post's he has made I feel that he is perfectly content with the day to day operations of things.

JD,

You have lots of opportunity to talk about what you want to fix and how you are going to do it, in general terms of course. I and others have brought up issues that we see with ROAR leadership and mechanics, while I certainly can understand that the current ROAR reps, you included don't want to be constantly lambasted with what we perceive is going wrong and feel like you have to come on here to defend themselves, how about we hear from you with what you see the issues are and what you think you can actually fix or improve in your two year term?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Q & A for our canidate

Q. What is the biggest issue you see that has to changed in Roar today?
A.

Q. When making new rules or changes how will you get the racers involved?
A.

Q. Being that most tracks require Roar membership what can be done to give members more than just card & hand book?
A.

Q. What will you do to help promote RC racing?
A.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Rookie

I have often thought of running for ROAR president, but simply cannot. Why? Because I do not meet ROAR's qualifications to do so, particularly the mandatory one year of "brainwashing" ROAR requires of all future ExCom officers.

However, if I could be president, these are the top issues to address:

1. Fix Nationals - Crown ONE national champion.

2. Promote Hobby through local tracks (get younger and future members)

3. Safer Batteries

4. Promote realistic vehicles - promote short course, RCGT and VTA etc..

Many times, for no more than ROAR accomplishes, I feel they are too big management wise. Yet, at the same time, they are far too small to achieve much of anything. Rather than concerning themselves with which
classes a 'sponsored' driver can compete in, they can spend more time working directly with the Region Directors, tracks and ultimately racers.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Well looks like things are already looking up were communicating looks like jd crow has a head start he's participating
Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Location: 2.5 Miles South of Pentagon, Light years from reality
Default ROAR and its purpose

All,
After reading through this thread , it is obvious that once again folks have confused the actual, stated, mission of ROAR, with what they think/wish it would be.

ROAR by its own statement is a Race Sanctioning body, and the IFMAR rep for North America.
ROAR is not, a R/C automotive hobby promotion organization.

That mission statement drives ROAR to concentrate its efforts primarily on IFMAR race classes and holding races that serve as qualifiers for IFMAR Worlds. i.e. factory /sponsored drivers and their teams.

In the past few years ROAR has branched out in reaction into certain non-IFMAR related classes (ex. Short Course Truck) and the adoption of new technologies (brushless, Lipo) ahead of IFMAR. Moving things even that in a "hobby" direction far hasn't been easy, just ask Dawn how many bruises she's gotten for attempting to change anything off of the IFMAR status quo. The recent creation of "sportsman" categories are also an attempt to recognize that most ROAR members don't/won't/can't compete in IFMAR sanctioned classes i.e. MOD electric classes.

In contrast, the other "big" model hobby organizations (AMA for aircraft and NMRA for model trains) list promotion of their hobby and/or member orientation as the first priority.
They do have various levels/class of competitions and rules to govern them. But these rules are made/changed "for the good of the membership", not what the manufactures need/want. And if you think those guys don't compete just stop by an AMA nationals some time. Sort of like a ROAR Nats, VegasIIC and Snowbirds rolled up all in one.

In these other hobbies, there are also groups specifically organized for the manufacturers and their needs. There is considerable coordination between the hobbyist and manufacturers organizations, in area of mutual concern.

So if you really want is a member (average guy) oriented, R/C car hobby promoting organization, you've either got to make a major change to ROAR and its mission/purpose or make a new organization.

If you want a National R/C race santioning body, you've got one. It seems to accomplish its stated mission and a little more.

Rod
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by senna555
Wow Jiml you have way more patience than I do.

Keep up the good fight but also realize it is an exercise in futility. No matter how you try to explain it reasonable and downright logical manner everyone is going to dispute it.
I've been practicing with the patience. You have no idea how hard it is.

I understand your feeling, but if you believe it's an exercise in futility then RC racing is doomed to stay where it is. I don't believe that, which is why I continue to fight for what I think we need. And you can begin to see cracks in the status quo. Things like a true sportsman class in electric, and classes like VTA and RC GT. The hobby needs to embrace both the hard core racer and the local hobbyist. It's how we go about that is where the debate lies.

If I haven't said it, you are doing an incredible job with Control Freakz. It's an awesome looking track and the race program appears exceptional. Thank you for your hard work. Right now I'm planning to be at the nitro regional running 8th scale. And I vote for a 2 day regional, if my vote counts for anything.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
I completely disagree with this. So a limited few get to vote on all the rules and the paying membership has to live with it? How is a popular vote easy to "rig" if it was conducted online? You log in to your account on the ROAR site and cast a vote. Are you worried about people hacking user accounts?
This relates back to the major problem that ROAR has right now. Why should people support something that they have no voice in? Until the membership has the ability to have a say, the bitching and crying will continue and ROAR will be become even more irrelevant with local tracks than it is now.
They're called elections, and this thread is about who we will vote for President, and possibly more important are the even number Regional Directors. It's up to the membership to find out who's running and what they stand for.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jims10
I have often thought of running for ROAR president, but simply cannot. Why? Because I do not meet ROAR's qualifications to do so, particularly the mandatory one year of "brainwashing" ROAR requires of all future ExCom officers.

3. Safer Batteries

Many times, for no more than ROAR accomplishes, I feel they are too big management wise. Yet, at the same time, they are far too small to achieve much of anything. Rather than concerning themselves with which
classes a 'sponsored' driver can compete in, they can spend more time working directly with the Region Directors, tracks and ultimately racers.
#1 and #4 in your responses contradict each other. VTA/RCGT are Touring Car.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Robert,

Your right, it is an issue, and as a candidate JD has not once indicated the 5W's of how if he were to be elected he would change things up. From the recent post's he has made I feel that he is perfectly content with the day to day operations of things.

JD,

You have lots of opportunity to talk about what you want to fix and how you are going to do it, in general terms of course I and others have brought up issues that we see with ROAR leadership and mechanics, while I certainly can understand that the current ROAR reps, you included don't want to be constantly lambasted with what we perceive is going wrong and feel like you have to come on here to defend themselves, how about we hear from you with what you see the issues are and what you think you can actually fix or improve in your two year term?
Your perception is not correct. Content with how things are, or how things have been is completely misread. Proactive and future driven has been the actions taken in my capacity. Just ask around of the excom, manufacturers, racers, committee members who served with me, race directors and im sure you find out, being content and not working on changes to improve our organization and hobby are my behavior.

Originally Posted by jims10

3. Safer Batteries

1) Narrowing the number of National Classes at any given Championship is already in play. The Super Stock divisions have already been removed at the ROAR Nationals (on and offroad)

2) Tracks, which are often private run operations, many of which are associated with hobby shops, have a vested interest to promote their enterprise. People at the tracks are already aware of R/C Racing. Promotion of the hobby to gain new participants will only come from reaching those individuals in other places. Some of that has been done over time. Much more will take place. ROAR doesnt always benefit from these activities. We do occasionally gain a new member or track, but usually the industry and retailers who see the bulk of the benefit of such promotion. Yet ROAR is being asked by members to carry the burden (ie $$$$$$) to generate creative and advertising for these endeavors. ROAR will look for cost effective ways to create awareness of our event, as well as build strategic alliances where possible.

3) We have been doing just that. I raced 2 different classes recently (2wd SCT and 4wd SCT vehicles) 6 Heat Races, 2 Mains, and 6-8 practice sessions with 1 Battery this weekend.

4) Already doing that. And more to come.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

JD,

Fair enough, I appreciate that you answered my post, time will tell if my perception is just that.

Where are the discussions for safer batteries and new classes being held at? How are ROAR members to be informed or excited about changes if we dont know what is being purposed? This question has been asked numerous times and no one has ever answered that question?

What does it take for the membership to be advised of what ROAR is working on? Very frustrating.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertr
Q & A for our canidate

Q. What is the biggest issue you see that has to changed in Roar today?
A. ROAR is dealing with the same issues all member based organizations and activities are challenged with. We are in a generation of "Me, ME, ME, and ME" attitude first. In fact, your questions are more focused on what am I going to do for you, rather than how can we as an organization build quality and recognition in a world of instant gratification.

We (along with others) live in a time where anyone with means, can buy the best and latest equipment necessary. They can get on their playstation and instantly win a Nascar race. And they think their entitled to similar outcome at our events. If not, someone needs to create a new class so they can be crowned champion of the 9.5, Rubber Tire, single cell, xyz body, abc paint, gmz wingless, 38 minute, white wheels, age 24-27 born in even number months on a saturday ROAR Champion, rather than line them up an talent, skill, performance, and occasionally luck will prevail. Or when that doesnt happen, they sell everything and move on to the next thing.

Our biggest challenge, like all local clubs have, is having enough people who are willing to spend the time on behalf of others and not get to the point where they decide its not worth their sacrifices on behalf of a sport they love. Many will volunteer. Few follow thru and stay active. Look around at local tracks (affiliated with ROAR or not). How many people prep the track week end and week out? I bet you only find a couple.

Its a lot like getting people to turn marshall. They sign up to race, know its a part of participating in the race (most of them are the first to yell for marshalls when they are driving), yet dont seem to be in any way interested in doing it when its time or there is a need for help.

Q. When making new rules or changes how will you get the racers involved?
A. Involvement is driven from within. Most members just want to race. Others want to voice opinions, but dont want to be in a position that becomes the lightning rod that has to endure public disdane. More often then not from non members who just like to sound tough on the internet. We will continue build teams of individuals who are willing to dedicate their time on behalf of the members at large.

We will be using our Webpage and other formats currently under development, to strenghten communictions. I believe you will see more items being presented for "Member Comment" in the future. Just as being done with 1:8 Super GT Class development.

Q. Being that most tracks require Roar membership what can be done to give members more than just card & hand book?
A. What is a ROAR Membership? Its a Drivers License to participate in ROAR Sanctioned Races including local weekly ROAR Affiliate racetrack events as well as our National Championships. Members can seek and hold volunteer positions in either a committee, region, or National Office. It allows you to serve as a Race Official at ROAR Sanctioned Events, it provides an insurance policy should an injury occur to you or someone spectating at an event. It provides a standard for racing products and formats which every track, every race event (even those not ROAR Affiliated), other Racing Organizations (just look around, many of their class rules are direct lifts out of old ROAR Rule content) utilize. It also provides an opportunity to join a group of common interest individuals and organizations. Thats all you get for joining. What you make of it is your choice.

People who chuckle at the insurance as a benefit, have not seen what could happen without it. Ive seen what happens when tracks have an incident and ROARs insurance served them well.

When you buy a ticket lets say to a Major League Baseball game. Do you think your entitled to a game ball, free jersey, run the bases, allowed to heckle the players and officials without risk of being asked to leave?

Q. What will you do to help promote RC racing?
A.Promotion of R/C Racing is a delicate subject. ROAR as an organization only has one level of Races we are tasked with operating. That is the Level 5 Nationals Championship Events. Even those are partner events with our Affiliate Tracks. ROAR provides the manpower in the form of Race Management Team, to run the event. The Host secures any and all Sponsors and those funds are 100% the tracks.

I will finalize a plan, which has been discussed in one form or another, some of the transition work has been implemented, to partner with key events in ways that add benefit for the event and ROAR's brand. Even some non traditional radio control venues, such as gaming (not gambling) avenues to bring new participants to ROAR Member Tracks.

Promotion of Radio Control Racing is everyones job. And people do it everyday. Whether you think you are or not. When you where a TShirt with an RC Related Event/Product/Logo, your promoting an oportunity to share in a conversation about R/C Racing. When your friends come over and see your workbench of cars, your have a captured audience to share our sport. Individuals have more opportunity to recruit new enthusiast then any other form of communication. Unfortunately, many choose to take this valuable engagement, and immediately start sharing negatives which has a better chance of loosing that person forever. How many of you join an organization when the first experience you have to learn about it, all you hear is negative.

Bottom line, everyone needs to look in the mirror and asked themselves, "What Im I going to do today to.....?"
Comments Added
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

JD,

Fair enough, I appreciate that you answered my post, time will tell if my perception is just that.
Feel free to contact any member of the ExCom, Section Chairs, Mfg Affiliates, or others that have worked with me on behalf of the organization and hobby. They are easy to reach and their contact information is on the website

Where are the discussions for safer batteries and new classes being held at? How are ROAR members to be informed or excited about changes if we dont know what is being purposed? This question has been asked numerous times and no one has ever answered that question? ..
Safety is always one of the aspects we evaluate. Be it speed of our vehicles, track designs that could put marshalls, officials, specatators, and venues at risk of harm or litigation. Unfortunately, safety and welfare is top of mind more with officials than many of the members.

Those conversations and proposals get worked out in our Section Chairmans committees. We also utilize individuals in specific industry segments to review and recommend technologies. Those recommendations ensure we have specifications for safety and proper use in our sport. Some dont always agree with such specs (ie Hard Case LiPo's and limiting how they are charged and how much voltage), but we are safely using them. And LiFe developements are improving as well. We have been testing and approving this technology since the beginning of 2010. So, we continue to research as technologies improve and come online..[/QUOTE]

What does it take for the membership to be advised of what ROAR is working on? Very frustrating.
Thats really the responsibility of the individual member. Everyone thinks the ROAR Officials are some third party disengaged from the Hobby. Know who the officials and committee members are. When you have a question or idea, communicate it with them. Build an open dialog. Most of the time those dialoge start with ROAR @#$% and I want this now, rather than issue/solution oriented.

New channels of outbound communication with members is coming.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

JD,

I see that I am starting come off as ungrateful and unappreciative about this, and that is not what I want.

If I was to follow your advise where can I find a list of committees that are formed and who is apart of them for me to ask. I don't see that information listed on the ROAR site?

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.