Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amb

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Amb

I just wanted to know if anyone is using the new AMB system with the personal transponders and if so how is it working at your local track?
Old 03-21-2002, 03:30 PM
R/C Tech Founder

We're using it at MARCCA, with JLap.

So far, it's absolutely great. Nothing beats keeping the transponder in your car. We ordered 20 personals about a month ago, and are just about to put in another order for 20. Everybody wants more than one now.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Using them here in NY, today will be our first race with the personal transponders! Man they are small and light!!!
Old 03-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have a personal transponder question. I have a 2 channel radio in my nitro offroad truck and was wondering if I could use the charge plug to connect my transponder to? I know that it would be on all the time unless I unplug it but will it work. I don't want to have use a y harness in my truck.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If you're referring to the charge plug that comes off the switch, then you probably won't be able to power the personal transponder from there. Most R/C switches I've come across disconnect the charge lead from the battery when you turn the radio on.

YOu might want to check your switch with a volt meter to be sure though... I certainly haven't checked every switch out there. Trips
Old 03-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Raydee,

Where in NY do you race? What classes do they run there?

Trips
Old 03-26-2002, 03:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

I live near Buffalo NY. We have a few tracks here, we run 1/10 offroad, 1/8 offroad, micro's, and across the border in Canada we run 1/10 indoor onroad and 1/10 outdoor gas onroad.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You'll probably have to do what we do. Get a Y-cable and connect your transponder that way.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

A "Y" connector is one way to go, the other is a 3 channel receiver. Take your pick.
Also if for any reason you need to replace the wires on the personal transponder, be very careful.
The early installlations sheets had the soldering connection at the wrong end of the transponder and there is a potential of damaging the circuit board. Just a word to the wise.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default Personal Transponder

1. do you just go out and get it and it will work with any model of AMB system, regardless of year made?

2. how small exactly are they? could someone please measure it?

I am planning on getting a used AMB system for my mini-z track. It's just that the old transponder barely fits under the body (must drill hole through the roof too). So if there's a smaller one it would be perfect.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:13 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The personal transponders will count on the older AMB systems. Each personal has a seven digit code on it, for example:

The final digit -- in this case the "1" -- indicates which number the transponder will count as. So you could use the above transponder as a "1" with an old AMB system, or at least, it worked at our track with our older AMB system, so I can only assume it is the same everywhere else. We are now running the new digital AMBrc system though.

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

The personal transponders are approximately 3/4" x 7/8" x 1/4".
They will work with AMB20 systems, older than that I don't believe they will work.
The older AMB sytems will only recognize the last digit. The last digit and any car number must be the same. If you are using any sort of bump up at your track then the bump up number and the last digit must agree if using the older AMB systems.
If you have purchased the newer AMBrc system the only thing you need to do is watch the race.
As far as weight, they are roughly half the weight of the rechargeable transponders used by most track, approx. 3 oz.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

They are tiny and weight hardly anything. I know at our local track new software was needed to run the personal transponders. The old software would not work.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default AMB

It sounds great, our track just put a order in for the new amb system. I have one more question- how are you mounting the personal transponders in your gas cars that have a inclosed receiver box?
Old 04-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

The AMB system comes with a full set of instructions on mounting the transponders. A separate internal mount, that comes with most kits these days, works or drill a 1/4" hole in the middle of the body at the transition from the hood to the windshield on sedans. On the wedge type bodies it can be a little more difficult to find the proper location.
The important thing is to put the transponder in a location where it can not make contact with the ground, the track (right side up or inverted) and can not be hit by other cars. They are somewhat sensitive and in the order of $75 to replace a single (rechargeable) transponder. The non-rechargeable personal transponders are slightly less money but the location is just as important. Also make sure that there is no metal chasis or carbon fiber chasis components between the transponder and the timing loop.
Best thing (and I know guys are not prone to do this) READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.