Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OC R/C Raceway, Huntington Beach, CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JoelNavarro
Does anyone have a B44 front suspension arm hinge pin bulkhead? He has one on order from Tower, but not garanteed it will show up. He tried all of the local hobby shops and they were out? Is there anyone from AE that will be there on friday that might have one?? Otherwise he wont come haha

I got ya covered.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tonight was fuuuuuuun! Here are some photos from tonight.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Nice pics Joel. However with that convex lens, these guys looks funny as heck in the close-ups. Ryan and T Webb make me want to watch "The Santa Clause" and it's only the middle of June.

T Webb, I thought you were going next week rather that this week. Maybe next time you go to the OCRC Raceway.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome pictures
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Bad experience

I just went out to OCRC for my first time today. It was a practice day and I am sad to say I had a very negative experience. The facility was nice but the place was running crazy with little kid's 3-5 year's of age. IN MY OPINION THE PLACE WAS OUT OF CONTROL. I went out to drive the track and had a very difficult time dodging all the micro, mini's, emaxx's, and kids only then to come back to my pit and find a young unattened kid going through my pit box. Unfortunitly I could not take it any more and had to leave because all I was doing was getting frustrated and upset, "This is supposed to be about fun". Any way on my way home I decided to call the owner and ask if it was always like that on practice days, his answer was yes and that is what he wanted and then hung up on me. I hope this is not the way it always is there, we need place's to race. But I have to say my biggest shock was on how uncaring and rude the owner was, (sorry i did not get his name) he didnt seem to care about what I was asking or expressing. Hope everyone else has a good time there, I will stick to my other forms of rc racing for know.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the track. The race days are for racing and they do a good job of running good efficient fun races. Practice days are run what you brung and have some fun. Robert had done an excelent job making a wonderful facility for us to play at. Robert does listen to the customers but that does not mean he will agree with you. He has strived for a family atmosphere and that includes kids. Again sorry to hear about your bad experience but maybe try a race night and see if there is a different crowd there you might like better.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea don't just give up on the place after one shot. Do like Casper said and just come back on a wed. fri. or sunday. At almost every track i go to, on practice days it's a fun, screw around atmosphere, but on race days it doesnt "get more intense", but there isn't as much fooling around the pits or the track. Ive heard nothing but positive feedback about OC/RC from everyone and what Robert has done for us as an rc community.
Thats why I can't wait till Sunday! yeah!
I'm giving stock truck another shot.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I've been their once only myself. It seemed to be a racing environment rather than "Daddy Day Care". It was all good. I'm not saying this to convince you to come back but as a neutral person. I don't race offroad but do know some of the guys that do.

If you don't have kids then I can kind see your point of parents not watching their own. If you have kids, then it is a perfectly normal atmosphere. I'm not standing up for the owner as I don't know him. He has kids though. So comments like that do hit a sensitive spot.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Not to pile on man but I just went to practice at another track the other day and I had kids running the track and jumping everyones cars cause it was fun. Thats Practice. On race days its not like that. I have run on both and I feel OCRC is the more serious of tracks in the area which is what makes it fun.

I totally see your frustration on someone going thru your stuff but again its a different place on race days.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cfisher909
I just went out to OCRC for my first time today. It was a practice day and I am sad to say I had a very negative experience. The facility was nice but the place was running crazy with little kid's 3-5 year's of age. IN MY OPINION THE PLACE WAS OUT OF CONTROL. I went out to drive the track and had a very difficult time dodging all the micro, mini's, emaxx's, and kids only then to come back to my pit and find a young unattened kid going through my pit box. Unfortunitly I could not take it any more and had to leave because all I was doing was getting frustrated and upset, "This is supposed to be about fun". Any way on my way home I decided to call the owner and ask if it was always like that on practice days, his answer was yes and that is what he wanted and then hung up on me. I hope this is not the way it always is there, we need place's to race. But I have to say my biggest shock was on how uncaring and rude the owner was, (sorry i did not get his name) he didnt seem to care about what I was asking or expressing. Hope everyone else has a good time there, I will stick to my other forms of rc racing for know.
What everyone said about race days verses practice days is true. It is hard to put in clean laps on a crowded practice day...no doubt about it. Race days are different.

If you look at it from a different perspective, however, you will see something really cool about practice days. Look at the families out having fun with toy cars. Those are the same people who will eventually upgrade their equipment and be the racers of tomorrow. These are the people spending the $$$ to keep the track and hobby shop open.

Anyway, enough preaching. Here's what Kyle does on practice days. He concentrates on sections of the track instead of trying to put in 5 minutes of clean laps (which is impossible with all the different skill levels on the track)
Work on corner speed, jumping or braking. I guarantee you will be faster after a day of practice and will not be frustrated by the guys and gals with less skill than you.

Hope this helps. Please come back and give it another try. Robert is a really cool guy who is doing us all a huge favor by running OC/RC.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

My 2c.

On the flip side, kids at the track can be a good thing...I mean, who else is going to turn marshal your car for you...and LOVE doing it? I've been down there a couple times on practice days and while it's crazy, I understand that AHEAD of time that its crazy, and make the best of it.

When I'm on the track I don't even care about lap times, but more about driving without crashing and LOOKING AHEAD! You'd be surprised how, on race days, how many people DON'T have the ability to look ahead. I race primarily onroad TC and this is HUGE as things happen so fast. So, this is my practice at the offroad track...looking ahead. Oh, and trying to go a full battery pack without crashing. Lap times are the least of my worries...consistency is #1. Lap times will follow.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

I agree with Phalen...its good to have the kids out there turn marshalling (it beats setting down your remote, walking out to the track and do it yourself). The kids that will be out on the track, we should pull them aside and give them a little "turn marshalling 101" before they get out there so we don't have incidents like this past Wednesday where that kid got nailed in the face by a car. In the 2wd pro modified, the same kid was turn marshalling in the corner where the LiveRC camera is and there was a pile up with the leader (Ryan Cavalieri) and the kid just froze, standing in the middle of the lane with 3-4 cars upside down or caught up why the back markers were coming onto the straight...the kid was just scared of being hit again, understandably...and not his fault. Luckily Ryan kicks butt and would come back to win the race.

During practice on Wednesday before racing started, I was doing the same thing Chris mentioned. Doing a section of the track I was having trouble with over and over again. I would do the section, cut the track (watching out for the other cars of course) and would do the same section over until I got better at it. Seemed to work well.

Another thing to help out practice would be to limit the drivers/cars on the stand/track to 10 or so. What does everyone else think?

One last thing...I didnt check or ask, but do the top 3 finishers of each class get Track Bucks like SoCal used to do? If not...I think it should be brought back!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Cfisher,

Im sorry you had a crappy experience. I think as you were walking out, you actually asked me - "Is it always this crazy?" I have to say that is not good if someone was mugging through your pit box... that is very innapropriate. But everyone has to understand that just RACERS cannot support a hobbyshop/track. When I was racing slot cars, all the racers wanted the track all to themselves; we wanted special treatment and for our specific needs to be met - but that doesnt make the track any money - inevitably causing the track to not succeed.

I think that possibly there could be a maximum amount of drivers on the drivers stand atm any given time - but i am not sure people would be okay waiting.

Last night around 7:30 - 10:00 it was sooooo quiet. There were only a handful of cars on the track, and very little action going on. Maybe you could shift your track time towards later in the evening?

Good luck =)
Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cfisher909
Any way on my way home I decided to call the owner and ask if it was always like that on practice days, his answer was yes and that is what he wanted and then hung up on me. I hope this is not the way it always is there, we need place's to race. But I have to say my biggest shock was on how uncaring and rude the owner was, (sorry i did not get his name) he didnt seem to care about what I was asking or expressing.
That IS disappointing. Hanging up on someone is rude.

Is there a way to change the title of this thread? It's HunTington, not "Hunington"
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Morbo
Is there a way to change the title of this thread? It's HunTington, not "Hunington"
Done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.