Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trophies

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...here's something for those of you who WHINE about a "Donated" product NOT being given away to think about.

A LHS/SERIES/TRACK that is putting on a race or series of races has EXPENSES.

You THINK your entry fees PAY enough to justify these events? Most of the time you would be wrong...DEAD WRONG.

You THINK when a company (So CALLED SPONSOR) donates a product, that helps KEEP that event/series/race happening? IT DOESN'T

Sales at a HobbyStore keeps the HobbyStore alive - race events/series/etc. HELP create sales - but in general they don't create a LARGE amount of sales, compared to just selling to Non-Racing enthusiasts.

The MFG's and/or companies who send PRODUCT as a Event sponsorship get a GREAT DEAL for their sponsorship. They GIVE AWAY some of their product, they get to write off the FULL AMOUNT (Face Value) of that product. In many cases the product being donated is NOT the most fresh, current, TOP Selling product....so it gives them a source to get some value out of a product that may just SIT on a shelf for a long period of time.

Most of the time there is NO written agreement between that company and the race/event holder to "GIVE" that product away with any STRINGS. The event organizer can use that product in ANY way he needs to to promote his event and/or pay his bills. So long as he credits the company who donated that product as a SPONSOR.

...think about this...

YOU go to a NASCAR, INDYCAR, F1, MotoGP event.... COORS, BUD, SPRINT/NEXTEL, CocaCola, Pepsi are all SPONSORS of the event...

DO YOU GET FREE STUFF FROM THEM BECAUSE THEY SPONSORED THE EVENT? No! and beyond that...NONE of those organizations would accept as a legitimate SPONSORSHIP... a case of their product w/o MONEY also being involved.

Racers want to bitch about little things - I dare ANY of the 'bitchers' to do their OWN race programs...

...Take this challenge.

1) Find a place to put on your own event.
2) Secure that place, get the insurance required, and any other permits you may be required to have to use the facility.
3) Organize, advertise and promote the event
4) Buy the equipment required to put on the event (track material, scoring system, saftey equipment, office supplies, other misc. expenses)
5) Clean the location and set up the track.
6) Convience 1/2 dozen people to HELP you w/o pay.
7) PAY for awards and other advertising for the event W/O having any 'upfront' money, now w/o knowing HOW MANY racers you may have and/or which classes they may run.
8) HOLD THE EVENT
9) Tear all the equipment and track back down and put into storage
10) Pay all the bills
11) Take a LOOK at the rewards from holding your event...

NO - convience yourself...to do ANOTHER~ (after hearing nothing but bitching and complaining from a handful of the participants)

RUNNING RACES - you either LOVE it...or HATE it, but you will NOT please everyone...and nor should you try~
Old 10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW talk about slapping the racer's in the face along with the sponsors..

you said:

1. Most of the time there is NO written agreement between that company and the race/event holder to "GIVE" that product away with any STRINGS. The event organizer can use that product in ANY way he needs to to promote his event and/or pay his bills. So long as he credits the company who donated that product as a SPONSOR.

I will contact my sponsors to see if a track (race coordinator) can do what they want with the product that is donated.. like put it in there hobby store as inventory and make a profit so that he can pay his bills / I will get back to you on this one, just need to send Emails and wait for the response. (I could be wrong on this one but I will double check)

2. You THINK when a company (So CALLED SPONSOR) donates a product, that helps KEEP that event/series/race happening? IT DOESN'T

but it does.. if racers know that they could walk away with prizes, I think that keeps them coming back or want to participate in the event.. how does it not help pay for your event when you did not pay for the product that was donated... that to me would be $$ saved since you did not pay for it.

3. You THINK your entry fees PAY enough to justify these events? Most of the time you would be wrong...DEAD WRONG.

you might want to change your entry fees to help justify your out of pocket expense, and do a little more calculating.. plus like you said for the sponsors, if its a loss then you can write it off...
Old 10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds like SWTour needs a shoulder to cry on!! For sure!!! Seems like He's been hosting events, and regrets it because he hasn't been able to retire yet.

Man, this guy sounds like the "Don King" of R/C. I wouldn't be surprised if he types "Only In America" in his next post, and puts 2 smiley faces!!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SWTour
...9) Tear all the equipment and track back down and put into storage
~

So, you only bring your track and equipment out of storage when you want to host an event?? hmm, let me see, the EZup concept applied to the actual track. Wow!!!!! I think you might be on to something there
After an event, rip all the pipes off the track, hide all the tools, then crank up the bulldozer to flatten the lot. No club races here. This is my stuff, and I'm not sharing. (Not until I host another event).
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

...I'm not complaining about ANYTHING...I just get sick of reading things from people who complain...about little things, then cry because where ever it is they raced...but had a LITTLE problem...is now GONE and they don't HAVE a place to [b]COMPLAIN[b] about anymore...

Which is worse...

No FREE Give-A-Way? No Place to Race?

ASK THE GUYS WHO HAVE LOST THEIR RACE PLACES their opinion on that...

Same note, I see guys who WON'T race in a Parking Lot or on a Temporary Surface...because that's 'NOT A REAL' racing surface... and those same guys complain about having to pay $20.00 to race at a AWESOME "Permanant" facility with Full Stocked Hobby Shop, Snack Bar, Clean Bathrooms, and Benches w/ electricity to work off of. (A place that may cost as much as $3000 - $4000 per month (Or MORE)

...My races are a pretty happy bunch - I treat them well, they treat me well...when there's stuff to give...I give, when there isn't...I don't.

Our events ARE done at Temporary locations, and YES...in my case I do setup and tear down like an EASY-UP. The event I held this past weekend was at a Car Show to benefit "CANCER SURVIVORS", the track surface was crappy, dirty, and bumpy... and once we had it clean enough to race on - we put on a FUN RACE - a GREAT SHOW - held a "SPECIAL" race for participating CANCER SURVIVORS (Which were children who had SOOOO MUCH FUN) and Not one single person complained, and they were all greatful to be part of a 'SPECIAL' event.

GUESS WHAT? The ONLY awards this day were presented to the participants in the Survivors race and...No ENTRY fees were charged to ANY racer...

how does it not help pay for your event when you did not pay for the product that was donated... that to me would be $$ saved since you did not pay for it.
Like I said - YOU put on a few events - and SEE what bills that product pays for. Myself, I chose to NOT do business that way...it may just be me...but I don't solicit companies to have them 'Give Products Away' - If I solicit a company to 'SPONSOR' an event...it's done with a DOLLAR VALUE, that DOLLAR VALUE may be paid in Cash, Check or with Product if so negotiated, at a WHOLESALE value. If Product is used in lieu of CASH/MONEY - I reserve the right to use that product as I SEE FIT to promote my event...if the company doesn't agree to that - we don't deal.

I will contact my sponsors to see if a track (race coordinator) can do what they want with the product that is donated.. like put it in there hobby store as inventory and make a profit so that he can pay his bills / I will get back to you on this one, just need to send Emails and wait for the response. (I could be wrong on this one but I will double check)
I'll be watching -

you might want to change your entry fees to help justify your out of pocket expense, and do a little more calculating.. plus like you said for the sponsors, if its a loss then you can write it off...
I don't have a problem...I've calculated mine... (I don't write off a thing)

Sounds like SWTour needs a shoulder to cry on!! For sure!!! Seems like He's been hosting events, and regrets it because he hasn't been able to retire yet.
Absolutely not, I've just seen TOO dang many people who bust thier AZZ for other people...get beat up for stupid LITTLE things, then those people CRY when their track gets closed down...and they have NO place to race.

I've been holding/promoting/directing races for over 7 years, and racing for over 22. I can make a list of probably 30 tracks that have come and gone since then...and MOST of them started with B.S. and people finally had enough.

I love the HOBBY - but I can say I love all the people IN the HOBBY
Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

8ightScale/CJP,

I believe you are in AZ aren't you? If so, you are one of the LUCKY people who live in an area where there are a lot of places you can race.

Everything from INDOOR CARPET/INDOOR OFFROAD to outdoor Off-Road/Dirt Oval, Paved Oval..and even 1/4 scale all of which are 'permananant' facilities from Flagstaff, Phoenix to Tucson.

Some people aren't that lucky - others have been, but have lost it.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SWTour
8ightScale/CJP,

I believe you are in AZ aren't you? If so, you are one of the LUCKY people who live in an area where there are a lot of places you can race.

Everything from INDOOR CARPET/INDOOR OFFROAD to outdoor Off-Road/Dirt Oval, Paved Oval..and even 1/4 scale all of which are 'permananant' facilities from Flagstaff, Phoenix to Tucson.

Some people aren't that lucky - others have been, but have lost it.
Alright SW, the way you exploded with your earlier post, it seemed like you had a lot you wanted to say to the racers in your area, because this thread was simply talking about trophies and ended up in another dimension!

It's not because of Arizona that R/C is blowin' up here. The people who are providing us places to play are the ones we thank the most. And we're lucky we have more than a few of those generous people who live here in AZ.
If those same people lived elsewhere, I'm sure they would find a way to make it happen.

Good luck with your future events, and I'm not saying that to be a smart-@ss!......I was trying to be a smart-@ss in the other post, but not this one