Wiki Posts
Search

Massachusetts Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Thumbs down Massachusetts Racing

In my ventures into R/C racing I've discoverd that there are nearly no tracks in the deep north-east US. I've inquired to nearly every LHS in the surrounding 50 miles with no joy. From that discouragement I've built my own track right in the middle of the woods in our back property. Even with advertising it's availability to the 3 LHS in the area not a peep out of the phone.

Now the hard part... I'm competitive by nature. I WANT to smoke you. I WANT to take home the trophy. The problem seems to lie in the complete lack of interest in my area. I see no forums for the New England area nor do I see any significant activity from members where I live. So, the question comes to this... Where does a race-junky go to stomp on his fellow hobbyists and have something more to show for it than a broken bulkhead or empty bottle of nitro in Massachusetts?

I'm DYING to race any class, size, scale or track as long as it's nitro. I've built a MEAN MT but even that is in it's own minority it seems. So, here's the kicker. "IF" there is any nitro racing in my area what is the best nitro class vehicle to purchase to get involved? I'm willing to buy ANYTHING that's not a Revo. Call it a personal preference but I'm not a fan of that model. I'd prefer either a MT or Truggie class and as close to 5.3cc as I can get. Being a gear-head by birth I've always been a fan of "bigger is better". It may not always be the fasted but it WILL be the loudest attraction in the field and will earn the respect of its competitors. I've considered an LST2, Hellfire, CRT, ST1 and others but I'm just not a fan of Revo or buggies. But I'd get a 777 or an 8ight if that's what it took to be able to DO something with it more than burn up nitro for nothing.

If you have any idea, suggestions or information that may get me on my way I'm all ears and am eager to hear your response. I'd rather not discuss the pros/cons of a buggy or Revo but would rather learn what I can about racing in my region. Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and I await your response.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

If you are looking to "stomp" your fellow hobbyists, there are plenty of tracks around Massachusetts. For nitro offroad head to RC Excitement in Fitchburg, Mass, or RC Madnessin Enfield, CT. If you are looking to get into electric carpet indoors RC Excitement and RC Madness both have carpet tracks and plenty of competition!

There are also tracks in:

Maximus Raceway in York, Maine
CRC Raceway in Rome, New York
Speedzone in Rocky Hill, CT

There also tons of threads and posts about racing in Massachusetts.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

BTW where do you live? Any quality Hobby Shop should be able to point you in the direction of a race track.

Pick up a copy of RC Car Action. They have a listing of all the tracks in New England.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M2_Driver
BTW where do you live? Any quality Hobby Shop should be able to point you in the direction of a race track.

Pick up a copy of RC Car Action. They have a listing of all the tracks in New England.

Fitchburg, MA 01420
Distance:55.3 mi (about 1 hour 11 mins)
I live near the coast and border of NH. The 2 closest LHSs that even do nitro are Plastow, NH and Danvers, MA. Both told me the same thing. "Nothing around here." And that's coming from both the owners and their employees. Been subscribed to RC Car Action for a year, due again next month...rats, and XtremeRC. Hell, I even called the Vice-Pres of ROAR in Cali asking about region races and where region 1 covers. Again, all the same result.

For an hour's drive down I-495 I'll make a point to come down this weekend to Fitchburg and check out their track. Matter of fact, I'll call them today to check and see if I can get in that 1st Annual Halloween Off-Road Challenge. I'll see what there is to see and hopefully it will at least get me on the right track here. Irreguardless, I appreciate the information to be sure. Hopefully making contact with them will get me more to what I'm wanting to do. Unfortunately, like I said, I only want to run 1/8-1/10 nitro. If I can find racing that is competitive then I'll stop work on my Savvy and order up something more tuned to racing versus beating the back track.

Anybody else with ideas please feel free to speak up. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

well, you live in New England so your nitro racing is limited to summer months. So your pretty much out of nitro luck untill next season, but give RC Excitement in Fitchburg a look into, they have a popular 1/8th buggy class.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scrubb
well, you live in New England so your nitro racing is limited to summer months. So your pretty much out of nitro luck untill next season, but give RC Excitement in Fitchburg a look into, they have a popular 1/8th buggy class.
That's what it's looking like. Their race on Sunday is indoor electric. So much for that idea I guess. Maybe when they open up at noon I'll see if a bruiser can beat on their outdoor track while the others stay warm inside. I'll still make a point to check the place out this weekend but it looks like my visions of nitro racing was a mirage for the rest of 2006. It's all good I suppose. Gives me time to dial in the 8ight for spring. Who knows, maybe if I hang out in Fitchburg on the weekends this winter I'll find a team to run with next year.

I contacted a group called EastCoastRC in the area but they do mostly promotional shows and very little competitive racing. I'd rather spend 2007 traveling the US and seeing where I stand in the ranks. If desire could get a guy closer to his goal then I should be about one step away from it already. The skills part I practice every time I fire a nitro motor. Beating and bashing is fun but keeping em heads-up is what wins races. Gives the marshals time to relax after their heat anyway.