Search
Like Tree14Likes

1/8 buggy for new racer

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoSlow
I'm not sure if it would be frowned upon on here, but I wouldn't mind seeing this thread updated periodically as a sort of blog of a rookie racer with a budget minded approach. It might encourage others to give it a try knowing there's fun to be had even if you're not running this year's model.
Yes, I had planned to update this thread throughout the season to update my progress. I logged my second race day on Friday, so far the progress is encouraging. I met a few more new guys at the track on Friday and still everyone I've met is very friendly and welcoming. One of the guys, Tony, gave me a set of his old tires and they felt better than what I was using. they are AKA Diamantes. I managed to improve my average lap time as well as my hot lap from last race day. In fact I have lowered my average lap in each of my heats since the first one which is exciting. I'm very happy with my progress so far.

My Times;
week 1
Qualifying; Average Lap: 53.1 Fast Lap: 44.567
Main; Average Lap: 49.5 Fast Lap 44.469
Week 2
Qualifier #1; Average Lap: 47.3 Fast Lap: 38.910
​​​​​Qualifier #2; Average Lap: 46.7 Fast Lap: 39.424
Main; Average Lap: 44.8 Fast Lap: 40.841

We run 5 minute qualifiers and 7 minute mains. In Fridays race they separated the average joe qualifier into two groups, in the first qualifier I finished #7 in my heat. I was #14 overall after the first round. In the second round I finished #6 in my heat but fell to #17 overall, out of 21 racers. That landed me in the B-main. Pro Class only has an A-main, average joe had an A and B. I started in the 7th position in the B, I moved up to 6th by the end of the first lap. In the second lap I moved up two more positions to 4th and I held onto it for the remainder of the race. I did get up to 3rd briefly at one point but I blew it on one of the jumps and gave it right back after a few turns. So 4th place finish. I am pretty ecstatic about it. my goal going in was to be out of the basement by mid summer but I've already reached it. Now I'm gunning for the A-main by the end of the season. I'm also pretty excited the I made it through the 7 minute main and only needed marshalled twice. That's a huge deal for me since i needed marshalled probably 10 times in the first round of qualifying Friday.
Goof likes this.

Last edited by kutless; 05-26-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Also for anyone who may be interested, I purchased a Tekno EB48.3 roller and tore it completely down, every single screw. I rebuilt it to the box stock manual setup and I haven't deviated as of yet. It seems to be working out pretty well for my track. As my skill level increases I may start to find deficiencies in the setup but for now I'm happy with it.

The list of gear/equipment I am using;
Chassis: Takno EB48.3
Tires: week 1 I ran Proline Convicts, week 2 I ran AKA Diamante
Radio: Sanwa MT4
ESC: Viper VTX-8
Motor: Viper VF8 2100kv
Servo: Savox 1258tg
Pinion: 15t
Spur: 44t
Batteries: Turnigy Rapid 4s 6000mah w/XT90 connectors
I did have to modify the battery tray to make the batteries fit.

I think that about covers it.
Jrxpro and SoSlow like this.

Last edited by kutless; 05-26-2024 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Good for you making great progress, That motor is maybe too much, most run 1900kv. Remember to get out to practice as much as you can and you will get where you want to be.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Fastfred1952
Good for you making great progress, That motor is maybe too much, most run 1900kv. Remember to get out to practice as much as you can and you will get where you want to be.
Yes, you are correct, most of the guys at the track are running 1900kv. I just happened to have that viper setup laying around so I used it. So far the temps have been great, and I haven't been overshooting any of the jumps. I don't have any boost set in the ESC though. I do need to make some tweaks on the ESC but I haven't yet. I definitely need to bump up the brakes and maybe add a touch of drag brake.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Okay so I have a pretty cool benchmark time. I am out of town this week so I wasn't there but I guess Ryan Lutz came out to race this past week. He ran both buggy and truggy but they posted his time for truggy on the Facebook page and his hot lap in the main was 30.978 and his average lap time was 32.016. I know buggy and truggy are different animals, I also realize that is probably not the peak of Ryan's ability, but it's pretty cool to be able to see how your times compare to a nationally recognized driver.

Last edited by kutless; 06-07-2024 at 01:22 PM.