• 2 Post By jiml

Tire rot. Bringing tires back to life

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tire rot. Bringing tires back to life

Hello all
I purchased older used short course tires. They're not stretched and the tread is good but the 1 pair feels not as "fresh" as the other.
What can I do to re vamp these tires? Bring them back to life so to speak. Get them more oily. Rubberized. Lol.
ty all for your opinions, thoughts, and suggestions
-d
Old 01-01-2024, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buggy Grip may get them useable, but they will never be fully restored. Its a soft natural rubber, and will not last.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Simple Green

Oil of wintergreen will soften and condition tires. I use it to condition tires for drag racing. It is the active ingredient in Simple Green cleaner. Soak the tires and put them in a plastic bag. That should soften them up. But like Rat said, you'll never get them back to new.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo and El_Rando like this.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jiml
Simple Green

Oil of wintergreen will soften and condition tires. I use it to condition tires for drag racing. It is the active ingredient in Simple Green cleaner. Soak the tires and put them in a plastic bag. That should soften them up. But like Rat said, you'll never get them back to new.
i just did this to an old pair of front stadium truck tires. i may have gone a little extreme, i soaked them in a bucket of Simple Green over night then bagged them up and forgot about them for 5 days. lucky me it didn't destroy them. they're not anywhere close to "like new" but they are at least useable. even though i got desired results im assuming i probably did it wrong it was the first time i had ever tried it.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Simple Green is relatively dilute, so I don't think you can ruin the tires no matter what you do. Just keep in mind the more aggressive you are, the softer the tires will get but they will wear out faster. More aggressive conditioners like Paragon Ground Effects can do damage if not used properly. And anyone old enough to remember Paragon just got a whiff of it