• 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By vwjuice

Racing while driving semi trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Racing while driving semi trucks

I’m looking at going back to driving tractor trailers long haul.

I was wondering does anyone do this and be able to race also? It would be kind of cool to be able to race at different in pager states.
two shoes likes this.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Knew a guy years ago that did just that! If you are on on a load board, you set your destination and schedule... Would love to hear how it turns out...
Old 12-21-2021, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

While not quite the same thing, I recently sold my home and have moved into an RV fulltime with my wife and dog and have ventured out to race at various tracks across the country. I raced this past weekend in Florida while chasing 70°F for the winter months, ha!
https://callahanspeedwayrc.liverc.co...king&id=365976

Not really sure how to make it work in a Semi, but I take up a lot of storage space for all my gear, plus it's really nice having my own home on wheels to boondock at a track the night before a race. Not really sure how practical it would be in a semi unless you have a Super-C rig.

One thing I discovered the hard way when planning our trip is that you can't predict Wed night programs will continue by the time you arrive in a city and you can't control the weather where I've missed 3 planned race days already at various states across the midwest since we started traveling out of state last month, doh!

I still work full time (remotely) and my only travel days are on the weekends, so I'm trying to convince my wife to let us travel only on Sunday instead of Sat/Sun so that I can make more Sat race events, ha!

I've already made plans to hit SoCal by Feb and one of the tracks out there recently closed that I had planned for Wed night racing, I'm spending more time trying to find places to race than finding places to stay... doh!
vwjuice, Billy Kelly and two shoes like this.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

I didn’t know you were traveling to races. That’s pretty cool.

I can consolidate my stuff so that I do two things. There is a summer series that is one 3 day weekend each month from may-oct called the northwest championship tour. If I could be dispatched loads to put me ending a route on a Thursday in the same city as the race then I could pick up a Load on Monday and continuing on. If I did this then I could pack my 1/8 nitro truggy and buggy under the bed in the sleeper and then have a few small plastic bins for parts. My radio case is small, the charger, fuel, and pit equipment could be safely stored under the bed as wel. That would still leave all the cabinets for clothes and such.

During the winter time I could take my 1/10 PR Racing stuff and go to tracks in various places. Just depends on the loads I can get. I’m not sure how practical that side is or not.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Not sure how much longer we'll be doing the RV thing full time, my wife has already started looking for a new home to buy for our "home base"... we'll still continue to travel part-time, but finding RV campgrounds is a lot more difficult lately because this concept has grown astronomically popular since COVID, once my job calls me to return back to the office then the RV life will come to a stop anyway

Finding an RV site in Florida in the winter is insane, plus the prices they are charging is the main reason we're planning to establish a home base back in Texas, the main idea of living out of an RV was save money for early retirement, ha!

I am trying to make plans to hit SDRC toward the end of Feb, might make our way up to Oregon next Fall, plan is to hit all 50 states eventually.
Billy Kelly and two shoes like this.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Not sure how much longer we'll be doing the RV thing full time, my wife has already started looking for a new home to buy for our "home base"... we'll still continue to travel part-time, but finding RV campgrounds is a lot more difficult lately because this concept has grown astronomically popular since COVID, once my job calls me to return back to the office then the RV life will come to a stop anyway

Finding an RV site in Florida in the winter is insane, plus the prices they are charging is the main reason we're planning to establish a home base back in Texas, the main idea of living out of an RV was save money for early retirement, ha!

I am trying to make plans to hit SDRC toward the end of Feb, might make our way up to Oregon next Fall, plan is to hit all 50 states eventually.
Very cool.

only few in Illinois. Wisconsin and Indiana have some good ones
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Yeah there are a lot of people living the nomadic lifestyle now. I honestly am very envious of that. If it was just my fiancé and I then I would look for a remote job to do that.
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I worked on a Railroad tie gang for a long time. Traveled all over. One of my favorite things to do was look for local tracks to try out. Never really hit too many races but got a chance to run some laps. I'd always have a sct or something to throw down and have some fun. Taught me to keep things organized and only bring what I need on the road storage in my truck was slim.