Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sprinklers for rc tracks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sprinklers for rc tracks.

Hey all. I run rc racing for a local civic organization. We are building a new track for 2021. I want to install a sprinkler system for watering the track. Could anyone point me in the direction of what kind've electric pump I would need to cover the track?

We would need about a half dozen impact sprinklers to cover the track. We would be using a small reservoir to hold water as we have a well.

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

You need to go to some estate sales.. as for a pump that will depend on how many sprinklers your running ...
Old 10-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by henry
Hey all. I run rc racing for a local civic organization. We are building a new track for 2021. I want to install a sprinkler system for watering the track. Could anyone point me in the direction of what kind've electric pump I would need to cover the track?

We would need about a half dozen impact sprinklers to cover the track. We would be using a small reservoir to hold water as we have a well.

Thanks for any input.

what are the sizes of your sprinkler heads and what is the size of the line feeding them. You will have to consistently need at least 50-60 pounds of pressure. However, size of the flow will affect the size of the pump. If you're getting it from a pound, that means it will cost you much more than if you were getting it from a city source. If you were getting it from the city, you would just need a booster pump. Are the sprinklers mounted on the ground or are they mounted overhead? Overhead needs less pressure because it is shooting out. Mounting on the ground is shooting up and out.

However, you will need a pump with a built in pressure switch. It will also need to be self-priming. I would highly recommend pumping the water into a 100 gallon tank, at least. Therefore, your pump doesn't cycle as too fast and burn out. Make sure to install the pump as close to the water source as possible. Therefore, it won't take long to prime itself and burn up. A fire sprinkler company will give you the exact pump size. They do this stuff all day.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Tech Rookie

i guess covering it would be a good idea
Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoungJulian34
i guess covering it would be a good idea
Or you could just do the overhead sprinklers.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:57 AM
Tech Rookie

i'm agree with opinion mentioned above. Covering would be a great solution.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

my track was 100 x 200 5 valves 25 rotary sprinklers. 5 per valve and that was at 5 gal in two min.. it worked great tell a few truggys and 1/8 scale buggies ran in to them and broke some 21 dollar pop up units..... IF your going to do this you need size. water volume, distance and coverage. ..... Rain bird has a site and a phone number you could call ask tell them what your doing they will suggest what would be best for your area of watering. NOW when you go to redo or change your track You cant grade with a bob cat or what ever your doing around the piping... weather IF it freezes. in your area you will need to deal with that.. sched 40 pipe or flex tube depending on your usage my track had to be blown out for winter. cost for my track was 4 grand it aint cheep. any more I can help with Just ask