• 1 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By Hauptmann6
  • 2 Post By Hauptmann6

Should I buy it? 7pxr

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Should I buy it? 7pxr

Ok, trying to get into dirt oval racing. I need everything. I would like to start with quality equipment, I’m thinking this would be something I can use for a long time. Just hope it not over my head. Thoughts?

Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 AM
Tech Rookie

until you try you don't know
Old 01-12-2021, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well, that's a tough question. I'll start and say the tunability of radios is amazing. I have a 4PM that is new to me and I feel like it's over my head. When I last raced we played with dual rate, end points and kept everything linear.

I don't think you need a 7PXR to be competitive. You'll need to decide if the touch screen is worth it to you and if there is added functionality in the 7PXR over the 4PM.

I don't know that you'll see that much, if any performance difference between the radios unless you perhaps use the bus system. And, even if there is a performance difference, will it be enough.

I'd speculate that if you are racing club racing and more likely to set your radio settings and let them be you'll be fine with a 4PM. If you are one to play with settings, the touch screen might be wroth $350 to you.

Lastly, if you are the person that wants the top of the line, because, well just because, then you may very well buy it anyway. I certainly have desires to have the 7PXR, but so far have resisted that. Now, if my racing expanded more or if I felt my radio was holding me back, I'd look into it.
Chubbum likes this.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The different version of the futaba radio make adjusting the radio physically far more easy than previous versions not only the GUi interface hops up between the version the latency does improve as well.

If you need a better fit form and function and price is not an option then the 7px the R has been lightened up and a slightly different balance and grip. Same radio.

If you are looking for basic radio to receiver to servo performance a 3PV is almost as fast with basic functions on a R334SBS or r304sbs with telemetry off but is not as fast as the 4PM or 7px
Old 01-12-2021, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Starting out? Save your money and get a 3pv. Unless you want to spend the money then enjoy!

I have a 4px and I use almost none of the functions. Nice radio though. And I got it for 50% off or so.

Don't go cheap on your stuff, but you really don't need top end everything. Practice will gain you more speed than cubic dollars.
RCDaddy2105 likes this.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

I've never ever driven oval. Curious how important the radio is in oval compared to a twisty track.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by purplegrape
I've never ever driven oval. Curious how important the radio is in oval compared to a twisty track.
My experience is carpet oval. Carpet oval is won on consistency and precision. Hit your marks exactly every time and you have a chance. It's harder with a crappy radio. Saying that, you don't need a high end radio to get there. The Futaba 3pv is a good example. It has very fast response times and communication speeds. And it's only $130ish. It all depends on what you want to do, the higher end radios will have more functions but are they truly better? And better enough for the price? That's completely up to the person with the credit card.

My two cents, the 3PV is a very good radio to start out with. Wear it out(more likely a few cars and see if you want to upgrade.