Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

" Pro races" National races

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default " Pro races" National races

So why don't these big events have a cash purse for the A main Open class races? They say those are Pro drivers, that usually means that someone is getting PAID. It no longer becomes a Hobby,IMO, when drivers travel from state to state entering in these National events.
I hear people complaining that why doesn't Fox,ESPN cover these big events. If there was a cash purse they were going after them it seems to me that more people would time in or companies would pay for advertising.
Just confused is all...
Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, you're suggesting ESPN will suddenly cover RC events purely because the winner gets prize money? I don't find any sport more or less interesting just because the winners get paid more. The top pro drivers are already getting paid by their sponsors.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Adding prize money from the race itself might help elevate the A-Mains, but then entry fees for the average racer would increase to support the added cost. The pro drivers are already compensated from their sponsors based on how well they finish at high profile events in exchange for the advertising opportunity.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gigaplex
So, you're suggesting ESPN will suddenly cover RC events purely because the winner gets prize money? I don't find any sport more or less interesting just because the winners get paid more. The top pro drivers are already getting paid by their sponsors.
Not like being an internet guy and trolling here, but yes you do, so do I and so does everyone else

Money does equal validity to a lot of people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krio
Adding prize money from the race itself might help elevate the A-Mains, but then entry fees for the average racer would increase to support the added cost. The pro drivers are already compensated from their sponsors based on how well they finish at high profile events in exchange for the advertising opportunity.
I would hope the money wouldn't come from the entry fees in this thoretical race
Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Adamska27
Not like being an internet guy and trolling here, but yes you do, so do I and so does everyone else

Did you just tell me that you know more about my own preferences than I do? I don't find a sport more interesting to watch just because the prize for the winner is bigger.

That example link you sent is a bit ironic considering I've been watching SC2 games over the last few days and have never heard of that event.

Last edited by gigaplex; 02-08-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

F1 drivers don’t get prize money for winning a single race. Or even if they win driver championship.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would hope the money wouldn't come from the entry fees in this thoretical race
Then where would it come from?

Other thoughts:
The 1/8th Nitro RC Pro Series did/still does offer prize money in the thousands. Hasn't helped grow that as I'm more likely to see Swedish touring car trophy races headlining most RC news sites than those and much discussion around that type of racing begins with, "Is nitro dying.."
The drone stuff had ESPN programming; it was embarrassing and much like most RC racers, the participants were way less than ready for prime time. The fpv-racing drones were on a "please take me" level of clearance sale at my LHS this past Xmas.

As mentioned above, you did know Formula 1 races pay zero dollars to win, right? Yes, zero. All the money is distributed via the end of season constructors' standings, aka, the one only the teams care about. As a result, you'd never watch?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
F1 drivers don’t get prize money for winning a single race. Or even if they win driver championship.
Pro level RC racers get win bonuses from their sponsors. Maifield got a significant win bonus for winning the worlds.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motodad85
So why don't these big events have a cash purse for the A main Open class races? They say those are Pro drivers, that usually means that someone is getting PAID. It no longer becomes a Hobby,IMO, when drivers travel from state to state entering in these National events.
I hear people complaining that why doesn't Fox,ESPN cover these big events. If there was a cash purse they were going after them it seems to me that more people would time in or companies would pay for advertising.
Just confused is all...
The fact of the matter is watching an RC car race is very boring. IFMAR qualifying is a snore fest if you don't know what's going on or who the drivers are and which cars they are driving. The vast majority of people not involved with the hobby have no idea what is going on.

I don't understand how giving the winner of the race $10,000 for winning would suddenly make people want to watch. This is a hobby, you're either in to it or you're not. ESPN isn't going to waste air time on a hobby nobody cares about other than the few thousand nerds that actually do it.
AHR43 and gigaplex like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

This is insane

OK, so if you win a Grand Prix your next contract will be much better, an F1 driver may not be paid directly for wins, but they are paid to win for sure, more wins = more money, also very possible sponsors pay more for wins, but that's not the point, saying pro drivers of any level don't make more money for winning is just ridiculous

The reason I linked this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
was to point out stuff like largest twitch audience ever, having the arena filled to capacity, a 4 part TV series for a video game, the reason so many people pay attention to that is the money, there are certainly more interesting video games out there, but the money makes the difference

Just because others have failed at something does not make it a bad idea, Nitro Pro Series is a good idea, but in reality a few thousand dollars isn't really the kind of money people get excited about

IF there was a way to have a $1M R/C race, I'll bet you what little I own it would get the most eyes of any R/C race ever, and it is just silly to pretend otherwise

I race full size cars as much as I can, and when I tell non-racers about it one of the first questions is ALWAYS - "what do you win?"
Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

we race toy cars essentially, as much as I hate to agree with the wife. It is a hobby after all. Vehicle manufacturers hire pro racers to race and display their products. After all, who would buy something that is for race purposes, but doesn't have any results behind it.

The pro racers get paid to do this. That is their job and that is why they have to travel state to state. Most of them have little down time since they race so many classes to keep them busy. Im sure they get a bonus for winning or podium finish at the major races but otherwise its a job and a salary. A very fun job lol.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

This is insane

OK, so if you win a Grand Prix your next contract will be much better, an F1 driver may not be paid directly for wins, but they are paid to win for sure, more wins = more money, also very possible sponsors pay more for wins, but that's not the point, saying pro drivers of any level don't make more money for winning is just ridiculous

The reason I linked this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
was to point out stuff like largest twitch audience ever, having the arena filled to capacity, a 4 part TV series for a video game, the reason so many people pay attention to that is the money, there are certainly more interesting video games out there, but the money makes the difference

Just because others have failed at something does not make it a bad idea, Nitro Pro Series is a good idea, but in reality a few thousand dollars isn't really the kind of money people get excited about

IF there was a way to have a $1M R/C race, I'll bet you what little I own it would get the most eyes of any R/C race ever, and it is just silly to pretend otherwise

I race full size cars as much as I can, and when I tell non-racers about it one of the first questions is ALWAYS - "what do you win?"
Nobody is claiming the pros don't get paid in F1. They're saying there's no prize money for the drivers, the sponsors may pay based on performance. That's how it works in RC too. And yet F1 is still more popular.

Again you claim the only reason that event was popular is because of the prize money. That's an assumption with basically nothing to back it up. They probably just spent more money on marketing, plus eSports as a whole is getting quite popular.

Asking what do you win is a valid question when you tell them you're a competitor. It's a question about what motivates you to race. It's largely irrelevant to a spectator. I've also never been asked that when I tell people about it, they always ask how much it costs. Maybe the demographic is a bit different where you live.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

25 years ago, if someone told me that poker would be a primetime fixture on ESPN, I'd say they were crazy. If any average joe/jane were to watch an entire WSOP event live, they are going to wonder why they are watching people sit at a table for hours & hours & hours on end. Yet with some well edited color/play by play commentary, several well placed cameras, and a top notch production team, it had a chance to succeed - and it did. Huge prize money or some grand trophy may help engage viewers, but it will not be the sole defining reason.

Realistically: 1/8 onroad nitro racing is better suited to television audiences due to the 30 and 45 minute mains and the large flowing tracks that are easy for viewers to follow, and just as easy for several different camera angles to capture footage. Trying to extend a 5 minute electric race on a tight carpet track where buggies are regularly being marshaled, over a 30 minute time slot is going to be a tough sell to television market executives. But even for nitro onroad cars, it's going to be a tough sell on ESPN where they can get better ratings with professional bowling or simply airing a poker game. Even to an alternative network like SPIKE or the Discovery Channel, will this "Televised RC Experiment" generate better ratings than a bunch of guys catching tuna fish or another home renovation show? The likely answer is going to be "NO".

For what it's worth, Youtube commentary of Starcraft battles are actually more interesting to average joe & jane than any currently produced RC Racing on Youtube.
AHR43 and gigaplex like this.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If they were to ever broadcast a major r/c event, live would have to be nitro.

They would be able to do an electric event like the Reedy Race for example with clever editing and air at a later date.

Guess its just LiveRC live feeds for now. :-/
AHR43 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.