Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
" Pro races" National races >

" Pro races" National races

Like Tree11Likes

" Pro races" National races

Reply

Old 02-06-2018, 03:51 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 16
Default " Pro races" National races

So why don't these big events have a cash purse for the A main Open class races? They say those are Pro drivers, that usually means that someone is getting PAID. It no longer becomes a Hobby,IMO, when drivers travel from state to state entering in these National events.
I hear people complaining that why doesn't Fox,ESPN cover these big events. If there was a cash purse they were going after them it seems to me that more people would time in or companies would pay for advertising.
Just confused is all...
motodad85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,773
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

So, you're suggesting ESPN will suddenly cover RC events purely because the winner gets prize money? I don't find any sport more or less interesting just because the winners get paid more. The top pro drivers are already getting paid by their sponsors.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 AM
  #3  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (155)
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,629
Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)
Default

Adding prize money from the race itself might help elevate the A-Mains, but then entry fees for the average racer would increase to support the added cost. The pro drivers are already compensated from their sponsors based on how well they finish at high profile events in exchange for the advertising opportunity.
Krio is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:02 PM
  #4  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
So, you're suggesting ESPN will suddenly cover RC events purely because the winner gets prize money? I don't find any sport more or less interesting just because the winners get paid more. The top pro drivers are already getting paid by their sponsors.
Not like being an internet guy and trolling here, but yes you do, so do I and so does everyone else

Money does equal validity to a lot of people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
Adamska27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 PM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Adding prize money from the race itself might help elevate the A-Mains, but then entry fees for the average racer would increase to support the added cost. The pro drivers are already compensated from their sponsors based on how well they finish at high profile events in exchange for the advertising opportunity.
I would hope the money wouldn't come from the entry fees in this thoretical race
Adamska27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,773
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
Not like being an internet guy and trolling here, but yes you do, so do I and so does everyone else

Money does equal validity to a lot of people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
Did you just tell me that you know more about my own preferences than I do? I don't find a sport more interesting to watch just because the prize for the winner is bigger.

That example link you sent is a bit ironic considering I've been watching SC2 games over the last few days and have never heard of that event.

Last edited by gigaplex; 02-08-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Formatting
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:16 PM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 9,610
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

F1 drivers donít get prize money for winning a single race. Or even if they win driver championship.
gigaplex likes this.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:23 PM
  #8  
Moderator
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
I would hope the money wouldn't come from the entry fees in this thoretical race
Then where would it come from?

Other thoughts:
The 1/8th Nitro RC Pro Series did/still does offer prize money in the thousands. Hasn't helped grow that as I'm more likely to see Swedish touring car trophy races headlining most RC news sites than those and much discussion around that type of racing begins with, "Is nitro dying.."
The drone stuff had ESPN programming; it was embarrassing and much like most RC racers, the participants were way less than ready for prime time. The fpv-racing drones were on a "please take me" level of clearance sale at my LHS this past Xmas.

Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
Not like being an internet guy and trolling here, but yes you do, so do I and so does everyone else

Money does equal validity to a lot of people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
As mentioned above, you did know Formula 1 races pay zero dollars to win, right? Yes, zero. All the money is distributed via the end of season constructors' standings, aka, the one only the teams care about. As a result, you'd never watch?
gigaplex likes this.
MarkA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM
  #9  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
EricW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,921
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
F1 drivers donít get prize money for winning a single race. Or even if they win driver championship.
Pro level RC racers get win bonuses from their sponsors. Maifield got a significant win bonus for winning the worlds.
EricW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:06 PM
  #10  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
EricW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,921
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by motodad85 View Post
So why don't these big events have a cash purse for the A main Open class races? They say those are Pro drivers, that usually means that someone is getting PAID. It no longer becomes a Hobby,IMO, when drivers travel from state to state entering in these National events.
I hear people complaining that why doesn't Fox,ESPN cover these big events. If there was a cash purse they were going after them it seems to me that more people would time in or companies would pay for advertising.
Just confused is all...
The fact of the matter is watching an RC car race is very boring. IFMAR qualifying is a snore fest if you don't know what's going on or who the drivers are and which cars they are driving. The vast majority of people not involved with the hobby have no idea what is going on.

I don't understand how giving the winner of the race $10,000 for winning would suddenly make people want to watch. This is a hobby, you're either in to it or you're not. ESPN isn't going to waste air time on a hobby nobody cares about other than the few thousand nerds that actually do it.
AHR43 and gigaplex like this.
EricW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 AM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Adamska27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The land of cheese and beer
Posts: 919
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

This is insane

OK, so if you win a Grand Prix your next contract will be much better, an F1 driver may not be paid directly for wins, but they are paid to win for sure, more wins = more money, also very possible sponsors pay more for wins, but that's not the point, saying pro drivers of any level don't make more money for winning is just ridiculous

The reason I linked this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
was to point out stuff like largest twitch audience ever, having the arena filled to capacity, a 4 part TV series for a video game, the reason so many people pay attention to that is the money, there are certainly more interesting video games out there, but the money makes the difference

Just because others have failed at something does not make it a bad idea, Nitro Pro Series is a good idea, but in reality a few thousand dollars isn't really the kind of money people get excited about

IF there was a way to have a $1M R/C race, I'll bet you what little I own it would get the most eyes of any R/C race ever, and it is just silly to pretend otherwise

I race full size cars as much as I can, and when I tell non-racers about it one of the first questions is ALWAYS - "what do you win?"
Adamska27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

we race toy cars essentially, as much as I hate to agree with the wife. It is a hobby after all. Vehicle manufacturers hire pro racers to race and display their products. After all, who would buy something that is for race purposes, but doesn't have any results behind it.

The pro racers get paid to do this. That is their job and that is why they have to travel state to state. Most of them have little down time since they race so many classes to keep them busy. Im sure they get a bonus for winning or podium finish at the major races but otherwise its a job and a salary. A very fun job lol.
Evoking1230 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:02 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,773
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
This is insane

OK, so if you win a Grand Prix your next contract will be much better, an F1 driver may not be paid directly for wins, but they are paid to win for sure, more wins = more money, also very possible sponsors pay more for wins, but that's not the point, saying pro drivers of any level don't make more money for winning is just ridiculous

The reason I linked this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_International_2017
was to point out stuff like largest twitch audience ever, having the arena filled to capacity, a 4 part TV series for a video game, the reason so many people pay attention to that is the money, there are certainly more interesting video games out there, but the money makes the difference

Just because others have failed at something does not make it a bad idea, Nitro Pro Series is a good idea, but in reality a few thousand dollars isn't really the kind of money people get excited about

IF there was a way to have a $1M R/C race, I'll bet you what little I own it would get the most eyes of any R/C race ever, and it is just silly to pretend otherwise

I race full size cars as much as I can, and when I tell non-racers about it one of the first questions is ALWAYS - "what do you win?"
Nobody is claiming the pros don't get paid in F1. They're saying there's no prize money for the drivers, the sponsors may pay based on performance. That's how it works in RC too. And yet F1 is still more popular.

Again you claim the only reason that event was popular is because of the prize money. That's an assumption with basically nothing to back it up. They probably just spent more money on marketing, plus eSports as a whole is getting quite popular.

Asking what do you win is a valid question when you tell them you're a competitor. It's a question about what motivates you to race. It's largely irrelevant to a spectator. I've also never been asked that when I tell people about it, they always ask how much it costs. Maybe the demographic is a bit different where you live.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:45 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
(0000000000)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,170
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

25 years ago, if someone told me that poker would be a primetime fixture on ESPN, I'd say they were crazy. If any average joe/jane were to watch an entire WSOP event live, they are going to wonder why they are watching people sit at a table for hours & hours & hours on end. Yet with some well edited color/play by play commentary, several well placed cameras, and a top notch production team, it had a chance to succeed - and it did. Huge prize money or some grand trophy may help engage viewers, but it will not be the sole defining reason.

Realistically: 1/8 onroad nitro racing is better suited to television audiences due to the 30 and 45 minute mains and the large flowing tracks that are easy for viewers to follow, and just as easy for several different camera angles to capture footage. Trying to extend a 5 minute electric race on a tight carpet track where buggies are regularly being marshaled, over a 30 minute time slot is going to be a tough sell to television market executives. But even for nitro onroad cars, it's going to be a tough sell on ESPN where they can get better ratings with professional bowling or simply airing a poker game. Even to an alternative network like SPIKE or the Discovery Channel, will this "Televised RC Experiment" generate better ratings than a bunch of guys catching tuna fish or another home renovation show? The likely answer is going to be "NO".

For what it's worth, Youtube commentary of Starcraft battles are actually more interesting to average joe & jane than any currently produced RC Racing on Youtube.
AHR43 and gigaplex like this.
(0000000000) is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 AM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

If they were to ever broadcast a major r/c event, live would have to be nitro.

They would be able to do an electric event like the Reedy Race for example with clever editing and air at a later date.

Guess its just LiveRC live feeds for now. :-/
AHR43 likes this.
Evoking1230 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service