Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree23Likes

Driving Techniques and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's a lesson i'm still having trouble with.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

This is from a post I made before:

I'm going to add my two cents worth. Even tho I realized it might be a little old.

I do try to practice everware I can when ever I can. I'm lucky that that during the winter I could have up to 3 race session a week. What surface you race on will determine what surface you practice on. I race on dirt and clay tracks mostly with sct although recently I just started racing on carpet.

Best kinda for practice you can get to start things out is a simple ovel. It will give you practice not over shooting corners and the appropriate throttle and if you got friends with you then it will help you with passing and lapping in close quarters. Things we don't always get to practice on the big track. A figure eight and running in reverse.

The to remember in RC racing is we win and lose in corners so you arrange the cones so that you can practice all the different corners. Sharp, sweeping, back to back. I use to have a picture of the cone lay out but can't find it. If you can time your laps and count them too you'll be better for it.

The last thing to remember about practicing is there is a right way and a wrong way to practice. If you not making faster and/or more consistent laps then your doing it wrong, try different lines and speeds. And if you aren't if you not practicing different aspects of driving your neglecting your skills. There no replacement for good smart practice.

Last thing to remember and probably the most over looked is practice RC car setup. Try different setups. Most cars you can change ride highs, camber, tie, anti squat. And a host of other things both in the speed controller and radio. That will make the car both easier and faster. With out spending any extra money on the car and Around the track. Things to understand many cars are over powered, to fast from point a to point b, and simply have to much brakes. simply by bringing this things in to line, trying different endpoints. And small changes to your car. Your start seeing what's off and what part of the hobby you need to practice more your driving skills or the car setup. this makes you faster, the car becomes faster better and believe it or not adds to your practice skills.

My 2 cent

PS. don't forget to note changes, and return the car to box stock or track ready. Hard impacts can throw things like camber, tow off bend and brake bodies ,wings, arm and hing pins Ride highs change as spring break in. Tires were out. All things we don't worry about bashing.

The other thing to add this with out plagiarizing. This link goes in to depth on how to better set up for turns. And the different types of turns

https://drivingfast.net/racing-line/

Keep in mind that different tracks, blow outs, birms, jumps and bumps all affects the way we can take that turn. But it's a general guideline on what to do.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by killer rock
While.. this is "a good idea" it misses the mark. The "how to take corners" is really showing you "late apex", "early apex" and "steady state". It also doesn't show a realistic line through the corner. If you're going into a very tight section, the "bad" first example is the fast way in, because you maintain the most speed the longest. The second option, is what you do for an opening corner. The third option is a magical thing that virtually never happens.

Pictures are good, those examples aren't.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

info is so confusing..! I need to change my entire driving style.to not coast use more brakes chose bad lines. I pass people in the air .cuz I can
Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Not sure if the diagrams are for oval only, but from my experience corners in off-road or road-course track are going to vary depending on what's before them, after them, class, and batts/motor being run.

To the rc guy... not sure of the point of your input. Can you clarify your post, or joke, or intent?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah nerobro, the example I given applies more to ovel and a car that has less power, like a stock racer. Once you add obstacles, more then the two turns and it stops bing an ovel. The drive line changes. The example are ready to show issue in the drive line. Like a unintentional late Apex is caused buy going to fast in to the corner or turning to late. And the unintentional early Apex is usually caused by going to slow or Turing to soon.

As far as RC guy. I'm kind corn fused. I'd did do a quick copy paste from another post I did. And didn't bother rereading it to cut out what was not needed. And your mentioning Snip-Its from other post that have nothing to do with his questions.

As far as passing people in the air yeah that's fun.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
While.. this is "a good idea" it misses the mark. The "how to take corners" is really showing you "late apex", "early apex" and "steady state". It also doesn't show a realistic line through the corner. If you're going into a very tight section, the "bad" first example is the fast way in, because you maintain the most speed the longest. The second option, is what you do for an opening corner. The third option is a magical thing that virtually never happens.

Pictures are good, those examples aren't.
The diagrams remind me of the Tamiya manuals (so much so that they're probably captured from a Tamiya manual) that try to teach people the basics of getting around a track. It's useful for absolute beginners, but once you can get around a track, you're better off looking at other resources.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

could be i found them online a lone time ago.

i use them as a reference to stop making stupid lines. lol
Old 06-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Heres something I learned this past weekend.

I've been racing off and on for about 10 years. Been driving RC cars for about 20 years off and on. I've had a bad habit of trying to force the car to go where I want it to go, instead of making it work better for me. I always thought if I wanted to go faster I simply had to tighten up my line, and trying throwing the car around even harder to go faster. That's not really the case. For some context, the fast guys are doing 14.5s laptimes and I was running 15.0 laptimes. The fast guys took some time to help me diag the setup on my car and after about 2 hours work we got me down to 14.7. Not only was the car faster, but it was easier to drive! I didnt have to go for a hero lap just to get a 15.0 or 14.9, now I could hit it consistently and the car felt so much more planted.

My point is, instead of trying to ham fist the car, make changes one at a time, see what it does and if you like it. I usually played it safe and didnt make changes but I'll be changing that now. Sometimes you have to go backwards (slower) to go forwards
Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Boy, I have a lot I can say on this subject.

But the most important thing I can add, is when they look to see how skilled a pilot is, they just ask "how many hours?" Or "How many hours in type?" Clocking time, is the best thing you can do.
haha so true , yet they didn't just hand someone some keys and say come back when you have 1000 hours of flight time. they gave them direct training.

all of this is what I believe the original question is, someone lookin for some basics like brake here don't brake there your on the throttle to quick your not on the throttle quick enough. this is something a lot of people look for and I wish someone made a video of basic driving tips as a lot of people could benefit from it I know I could.

the only way I know is to ask a fast guy at your track for some help most will help you if they have time if they are not willing to help they are not the one you want help from anyway.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
haha so true , yet they didn't just hand someone some keys and say come back when you have 1000 hours of flight time. they gave them direct training.

all of this is what I believe the original question is, someone lookin for some basics like brake here don't brake there your on the throttle to quick your not on the throttle quick enough. this is something a lot of people look for and I wish someone made a video of basic driving tips as a lot of people could benefit from it I know I could.

the only way I know is to ask a fast guy at your track for some help most will help you if they have time if they are not willing to help they are not the one you want help from anyway.
There was a member here that did a few videos like that few years ago. They were decent. Problem to me is there are so many variables that can change how a vehicle drives. Just the controller alone for some can completely alter their driving. Then ESC setting. And general car setup. Still haven’t gotten to the surfaces yet. What helps on pavement might hurt on carpet.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I raced last Tuesday and spent a good amount of time watching the fastest guys taking corners. I had a buddy on a different class that made videos from my race and also pointed out the difference in driving skills. It all comes down to the track time the drivers got in his resume, in my opinion. I had the racing line that the fast guys had in most cases, but not the consistency - which comes with practice. Really incredible to see the same turning radius and distance from the tubes every single lap by those guys, regardless of chasing or being chased. Whereas I was missing a turn or skidding too far or not coming at the same speed prior to corner, due to the pressure of someone behind me.

I guess car setup makes a small difference too in consistency, but I'm big believer in learning the car... I still drive 99% box stock. I really think that speed is a consequence of practice and consistency, which will get you 7/8 of the way. That last 1/8 is setup and electronics
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

many different things will improve your track times.from driving time hand eye. setup. all those matter.almost all equal except 1. track time.. cant have a consistent times when car pushing going into ever turn.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Knowing what the car will do at full punch is also key, practice hard and aggressive, then back off and cruise the race. This might seem backward, but if you "feel" slow, you are probably faster.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oliverhorn
Done a few searches on the forum but cant seem to find any thread on driving techniques or tips. I started racing around 4 months ago and whilst I'm improving I'm pretty keen to hear any tips any of you fast guys might have or if you have any links to other posts or videos to help me out. Most of the info I can find is more about setups.

Thanks
Greetings, Oliver. I am a believer in owning the best radio you can afford. To the point of making it the first upgrade you invest in. After all, the hobby is "Radio Control". My recommendation is leave the chassis box stock and the electronics in 'default' setting until you learn how radio settings affect the car. Manufacturers build and test their cars to run acceptably at most tracks most of the time. Good enough while one is learning the basics of racing and radio. Cheers and good luck. AC