Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By TheWorstDriver
  • 1 Post By enare

What to get for my son

Old 05-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What to get for my son

Hello there,

My son and I have been racing at the roadrunner RC track in California for the past 6 months. I am racing in the spec classes and he runs his slash 2wd in the novice class. I am wanting to get him something that is a bit more track friendly and want him to have an easier time reducing his lap times.

He is 7 years old, and has a lot to learn but the slash 2wd is not an easy truck to run even after the upgrades I have made. I am looking at getting either a 4x4 buggy or a 2wd stadium truck. Any suggestions on which route I should go.
Thanks,

Enare
Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I’d say 2wd stadium truck is easier to drive than a 4wd buggy. BUT since he’s 7 that slash is the most durable thing he can be wheeling. Have you added the LCG chassis?

if you choose to upgrade (Insofar as what truck) remembering he’s pretty young I’d consider a traxxas rustler 2wd (as some of your current parts will carry over) or go with a brand with plentiful local parts support...X-ray/associated/losi/etc.

good luck, have fun
Old 06-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Herc Driver View Post
Id say 2wd stadium truck is easier to drive than a 4wd buggy. BUT since hes 7 that slash is the most durable thing he can be wheeling. Have you added the LCG chassis?

if you choose to upgrade (Insofar as what truck) remembering hes pretty young Id consider a traxxas rustler 2wd (as some of your current parts will carry over) or go with a brand with plentiful local parts support...X-ray/associated/losi/etc.

good luck, have fun
Thanks for the Tip!

He has been running a Slash 2wd with the LCG, GTR shocks and VXL motor for the past year.

I picked him up a TLR 22t 4.0 with a 17.5 Spec R and it has been a dream for him to drive.

Here is a comp of his lap times with both cars - not to mention, he is really showing some control in the turns and getting better squaring up for jumps.

Slash LCG - training mode - 05/05
Fast lap - 29.04
Average Lap - 38.17
Average Top 5 - 31.36

Slash LCG - race Mode - 04/07
Fast Lap - 35.19
Average Lap - 48.07
Average Top 5 - 44.2

22t 4.0 on - spec r 17.5 - 06/02
Fast Lap - 28.6 seconds
Average Lap - 32.82
Average Top 5 - 29.84
Old 06-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Enare,

Have you considered a radio upgrade for your son's Slash 2WD? Not necessarily a top of the line radio, but a compatible upgrade that would allow you to help tune your son's developing skill to the truck. That might be an interim consideration until you and him decide on what route to go for his next drive. And, if the young man decides not to pursue the hobby, then you have a radio upgrade for your spec and won't have a car or truck you don't need or can't use. Just a thought. Whatever you work out, you are both fortunate you have a hobby to share.

[Edit. Oops. Looks like you already upgraded. A radio upgrade is probably already done.]
Old 06-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Hello Enare,

Have you considered a radio upgrade for your son's Slash 2WD? Not necessarily a top of the line radio, but a compatible upgrade that would allow you to help tune your son's developing skill to the truck. That might be an interim consideration until you and him decide on what route to go for his next drive. And, if the young man decides not to pursue the hobby, then you have a radio upgrade for your spec and won't have a car or truck you don't need or can't use. Just a thought. Whatever you work out, you are both fortunate you have a hobby to share.

[Edit. Oops. Looks like you already upgraded. A radio upgrade is probably already done.]
I have not upgraded the radio yet, just the cars. I pulled the traxxas receiver out of another car so that he is running two traxxas radios now.

Eventually I will upgrade so that I can adjust the endpoints a bit more. With that said, it may not be necessary if he continues to improve at the pace he is.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by enare View Post
I have not upgraded the radio yet, just the cars. I pulled the traxxas receiver out of another car so that he is running two traxxas radios now.

Eventually I will upgrade so that I can adjust the endpoints a bit more. With that said, it may not be necessary if he continues to improve at the pace he is.

A high quality radio and control system will improve your sons driving more than ANY new kit, upgrade, or awesome setup. These are "Remote Control Cars", nothing is more important than the controls, aside from actual driving practice. The radio is considered THE only long term investment in RC racing, everything else is perishable, even good tools wear out. The radio can be used on many different models as a racer progresses through the hobby. My son is 8 years old, he used our cheap radio and RTR servos for quite some time. Once we upgraded the radio and servos to nearly the best on the market, it was like someone coached him for years, he won his first race a month later, and has gotten even better since. From experience, a poor radio, and slow servos will a hold a child's driving development back. Children respond well to fast input because they are still developing hand-eye coordination, and will quickly get used to it. Good radio/control gear is not wasted money, it is the best money spent in RC! My .02 cents anyways. Have fun!
AHR43, Goof and enare like this.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I can attest to what TheWorstDriver said.

my 7 year old daughter is racing her 4tec 2.0 in the traxxas class at my home track, she still bangs the walls pretty bad, and the car has held up but it always seemed like a chore asking her to practice to get better. I finally replaced my spektrum dx3r, and instead of selling it I let her use it to see if it would make a difference and WOW what a difference. The steering response was significantly improved, and now I could dial the throttle power to her skill level instead of relying on the ESC's "trainer mode" which was a hair to slow for where she is at. She even comes off the stand with a big smile now and has asked to go practice on her own. Highly recommend!!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts View Post
I can attest to what TheWorstDriver said.

my 7 year old daughter is racing her 4tec 2.0 in the traxxas class at my home track, she still bangs the walls pretty bad, and the car has held up but it always seemed like a chore asking her to practice to get better. I finally replaced my spektrum dx3r, and instead of selling it I let her use it to see if it would make a difference and WOW what a difference. The steering response was significantly improved, and now I could dial the throttle power to her skill level instead of relying on the ESC's "trainer mode" which was a hair to slow for where she is at. She even comes off the stand with a big smile now and has asked to go practice on her own. Highly recommend!!
I've been thinking about this! Wife is paying attention to our bank accounts right now so I need to take a little break before I purchase a transmitter; with that said, it will definitely be the next investment.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do you do the Sunday series at Camarillo? My son is thinking about trying some racing then, and I know he will have a better time and be more likely to return if he has other kids to play with. He has a brushed 2wd Slash and a B5m buggy.