Community
Wiki Posts
Search

where did ROAR go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

and Jiml, I know Dale actually put togther some basic rules to keep the sedan a sedan..... Hopefully they will be implemented in one manner or another.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Jim, I know you somewhat agree with me here.... For the first time I'm going to get a Parma Alpha.... I can understand not wanting the class to become modeled after lexan doorstops.... Out of that list there's maybe 3 protoform bodies left in production.... I happen to like Dales bodies.... I just hate to jump on the bandwagon here and I wish there were more choices out there that worked.... I like the realism, just trying to figure out how to keep it that way...

edit, Tim and I posted at the same time...

Tim... I read his proposal and I agree with it....
Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tim, Dale did put together a set of rules for TC bodies and submitted it to ROAR. I understand there was quite a debate over the proposal, but in the end it was voted down.

Allan, I absolutely agree with you. The most dominant car in road racing today is the Porsche 911. I think it's crazy that there isn't a RC 911 body that works. Unfortunately racers like Warren and Jackie don't care what body they're running, as long as it handles well. Those of us who want more realistic appearing bodies are a tiny minority. Until we can convince more people to change the body rules, things will stay the same.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Suspended

I'm running the HPI Porsche 911 Turbo body right now in a 2-door racing series, and it's not bad at all.

Allowing 2-door bodies in a different class wouldn't change anything too much. After a short period of time everyone would figure out what the best handling body is, and then that's all you would see in that particular class.

Instead of 10 Parma Alfas, you'd just have 10 Nissan 350Zs or something.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by McSmooth
I'm running the HPI Porsche 911 Turbo body right now in a 2-door racing series, and it's not bad at all.

Allowing 2-door bodies in a different class wouldn't change anything too much. After a short period of time everyone would figure out what the best handling body is, and then that's all you would see in that particular class.

Instead of 10 Parma Alfas, you'd just have 10 Nissan 350Zs or something.
...but we'd STILL be in the same position as before. I like the fact of allowing 2 doors in a different class. I'd do that again. I used to race an Infiniti G35 in the 19T Touring Class. Then again, I just do club racing. And in fact, it handled just as good as my Mazda6. If I could find a place that sells that body (which I think they discontinued production of it), I'd use it. Just as a way to be different than everyone.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Jim, I guess it comes with age also... But then again those guys care much more about winning... I care about having fun....

I'd love to see some Le Mans style events.... 3 motor/body classification and a longer race time.... Let's say you have 2 5 minute class qualifications and a 10-15 minute main... With the new 3700+ batteries even in Mod you could do it.... Have a TC class, GT 1&2, LMP or scratch the LMP (due to there really being no bodies) and just GT 1 and 2.... TC would be stock, GT2(Gt1) would be 19 turn and GT1 (LMP) would be mod.... Take all 3 A main's and put them together, B main, etc.... Let's say you have 15 cars on the track at a time, there are tracks that could handle it (SSH not Willis). You'd need to gear for qualifying and then regear for the main to make runtime.... Keep mod motors over 10 turns and allow pan cars into mod with a 2-5 turn motor handicap.... Have a class winner and overall winers... There are guys who could kick but with a stock TC over a mod LMP bodied pan car.... That would be a blast and it'd make racing a lot more exciting.... Right now, we're pretty much running 4 5 minute races and it only matters what you do on the last 5 minute run.... Just picture what'd look like with 3 different body styles and motors all trying to negotiate the track together.... Of course you're not going to put the C main demolition derby in with the A main....
Old 08-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Jim, I guess it comes with age also... But then again those guys care much more about winning... I care about having fun....

I'd love to see some Le Mans style events.... 3 motor/body classification and a longer race time.... Let's say you have 2 5 minute class qualifications and a 10-15 minute main... With the new 3700+ batteries even in Mod you could do it.... Have a TC class, GT 1&2, LMP or scratch the LMP (due to there really being no bodies) and just GT 1 and 2.... TC would be stock, GT2(Gt1) would be 19 turn and GT1 (LMP) would be mod.... Take all 3 A main's and put them together, B main, etc.... Let's say you have 15 cars on the track at a time, there are tracks that could handle it (SSH not Willis). You'd need to gear for qualifying and then regear for the main to make runtime.... Keep mod motors over 10 turns and allow pan cars into mod with a 2-5 turn motor handicap.... Have a class winner and overall winers... There are guys who could kick but with a stock TC over a mod LMP bodied pan car.... That would be a blast and it'd make racing a lot more exciting.... Right now, we're pretty much running 4 5 minute races and it only matters what you do on the last 5 minute run.... Just picture what'd look like with 3 different body styles and motors all trying to negotiate the track together.... Of course you're not going to put the C main demolition derby in with the A main....
That is a really good idea! A 10-15 minute main with 3 different classes racing on the same track. I like it, but Allan, don't you think it would be a tad bit confusing? Like who's in the lead overall, in their class, etc. But I just so happen to have a prototype solution for this:

Have a personal speaker system mounted on the drivers stand with headphone jacks & volume control. Bring your own headphones (so you don't get other peoples earwax in your ears), and while you race, every lap, it updates you on your position overall, in your class, & your laptimes + pace. It would require some kinks to be worked out, and also might be a tad bit expensive, but it could work. I think this system (yours and mine) could work exceptionally well at South Shore. But then again, it's still just an idea/prototype design/etc. so things can change.

Another thing just came into my mind, you said TC, GT1, and GT2 classes. Now, the TC I understand what bodies you'd be using, but how are you going to divide GT1 and GT2? What bodies are you going to be able to use? ROAR legal? I would think for GT1 you'd use like a Corvette C5, CTS-V R, S7R, or a Viper, and for GT2, like a Porsche 911 GT3, Mercedes CLK DTM, Vauxhall Astra, Honda NSX GT, or Mustang GT ('05).
Old 08-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

The announcer can easily tell who's who and announce it properly... If you're in TC and you have a Vette behind you, move over.... It's all about having fun.... No punting the slower classes, work your way around them, if you punt you get a black flag and a stop and go....
Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

The announcer can easily tell who's who and announce it properly... If you're in TC and you have a Vette behind you, move over.... It's all about having fun.... No punting the slower classes, work your way around them, if you punt you get a black flag and a stop and go....
Talk about serious club racing!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

You should be black flagged now..... It's courtesy and this is a hobby.... Who wants to have to replace parts because someone thinks this is real life and they're going to win a million bucks...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

You should be black flagged now..... It's courtesy and this is a hobby.... Who wants to have to replace parts because someone thinks this is real life and they're going to win a million bucks...
...did I say that? Nope. Why do you think I had , & there? Because I'm kidding....
Old 08-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jpilone
Just ask Michelin about the FIA

Just ask Michelin how to prep for a race......
Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just spent 5 days a Lime Rock Park and I didn't see a single Stratus or Alpha...

That funny, I just helped a buddy who raced at Limerock....in his Alpha!!!

You point is well taken though. My opinion is that if it is a car body, and it meets a reasonable dimensional tolerance of the real thing.....race it.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by raffaelli
That funny, I just helped a buddy who raced at Limerock....in his Alpha!!!

You point is well taken though. My opinion is that if it is a car body, and it meets a reasonable dimensional tolerance of the real thing.....race it.
Is it a 156??? Alpha doesn't even import to the US anymore, I haven't seen any model alpha in a long time....
Old 08-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chris, I thought you weren't allowed to post here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.