Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCtech banner is now an AD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Man, people will complain about anything. Yay America.

Last edited by Flagler; 04-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't like your post, Flagler.

I'm not serious.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

What other advantages does becoming a premium member have? Is there a thread or something on that? I wouldnt mind supporting rctech by paying, but I would want more benefits than something I can already do for free. (blocking adds)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Does AMain in the banner really make any difference? Big forum, lots of PM memory, and its all free! Someones gotta pay for the stuff.
Better A Main Hobbies than me!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Then you should be paying for your avatar. Sound fair?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm not sure the ads are a problem in the bigger picture, except for when they hog the sides of you screen and make everything smaller. This website is a BUSINESS. They're here to make money and they're good at it. There are huge numbers of people rolling through this site every day, from around the world. That says they're a successful business, too

One thing to note about the ads: I've never clicked on one, on purpose. It's not out of spite or some misguided sense that if I ignore them they'll go away. (that's what ******* is for) It's simply because they don't advertise anything I want.

I hope premium memberships do get improved. They're a total joke right now, not providing subscribers with any tangible benefits.

jim
Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Here is something you may not realize.

RCTech is owned by a company (Internet Brands) that pulls in over $100M a year. (That's $100 Million Dollars US) from this and other forums that they own.

They own vBulletin which is the back end to this and the other forums they own and sell licencing to some forum owners (others) to use, start and maintain forums on the internet. When a forum hits that "Golden" number that IB likes to see they move in and offer to purchase said forum and "make an offer you can't refuse". Then take over and ad junk it like you have seen here.

If you haven't already figured it out they are making money off of us by giving us a place to "talk" and share etc etc. You say "better they get money from them than us" but what you and I are inadvertently doing is helping them create the unique visitor numbers so they can drive the ad pricing up.

Now your favorite hobby shops or manufacturers can't afford to be here any longer and you are left with Google ads and Ads for Mexican cereal and the like.

My mini rant here is fueled by the fact that I was in talks to purchase ad space. Two days later after receiving the pricing for some banners I was interested in I get an email stating that since I am a shop I need to purchase and Vendor Forum spot or risk being booted off. So it went from $$ to $$$$$.
(Coincidentally after the "title advertiser" bought in)

I have nearly 4000 posts here. 90% of them have been helping the new guy or offering advice, set up help, tuning help etc. I have helped to create this money hungry forum and it's owners and this is what I get for it.

To say I am done with RCTech is an under statement. Will I stay here? I'll be on here from time to time for the simple fact is I started my company to help the new guy enjoy R/C. Without some of us old timers and the experience of others it would simply not be as much fun nor be as large as it is.

One last thing; Does anyone from Amain come on here to help ANYONE? I though that was the purpose of having a forum. (Unless you own it of course)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

RCTech is owned by a company (Internet Brands) that pulls in over $100M a year. (That's $100 Million Dollars US) from this and other forums that they own.

They own vBulletin which is the back end to this and the other forums they own and sell licencing to some forum owners (others) to use, start and maintain forums on the internet. When a forum hits that "Golden" number that IB likes to see they move in and offer to purchase said forum and "make an offer you can't refuse". Then take over and ad junk it like you have seen here.

If you haven't already figured it out they are making money off of us by giving us a place to "talk" and share etc etc. You say "better they get money from them than us" but what you and I are inadvertently doing is helping them create the unique visitor numbers so they can drive the ad pricing up.

Now your favorite hobby shops or manufacturers can't afford to be here any longer and you are left with Google ads and Ads for Mexican cereal and the like.

My mini rant here is fueled by the fact that I was in talks to purchase ad space. Two days later after receiving the pricing for some banners I was interested in I get an email stating that since I am a shop I need to purchase and Vendor Forum spot or risk being booted off. So it went from $$ to $$$$$.

I have nearly 4000 posts here. 90% of them have been helping the new guy or offering advice, set up help, tuning help etc. I have helped to create this money hungry forum and it's owners and this is what I get for it.

To say I am done with RCTech is an under statement. Will I stay here? I'll be on here from time to time for the simple fact is I started my company to help the new guy enjoy R/C. Without some of us old timers and the experience of others it would simply not be as much fun nor be as large as it is.

One last thing; Does anyone from Amain come on here to help ANYONE? I though that was the purpose of having a forum. (Unless you own it of course)
Eye opening
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Amain has their own forum site.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/forums/forum.php
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Legend

I feel your pain ......

I new board will take over sooner or later just like when Trinity blew it with their tech talk forum....
Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One last thing; Does anyone from Amain come on here to help ANYONE?
Yes, there are a few of us (A Main Employees) that spend time here at RCTech...and we are all more than willing to help anyone that needs it
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

One last thing; Does anyone from Amain come on here to help ANYONE?
I see Amain reps on this site all the time helping people

Originally Posted by scoobie1
Yes, there are a few of us (A Main Employees) that spend time here at RCTech...and we are all more than willing to help anyone that needs it
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Sorry you feel that way, Jimmy.

Policy here has always been that if you are advertising on this site, making money by selling products and services, you ought to be paying for the privilege.

You get access on RCT to a huge group of dedicated enthusiasts who are eager for tips, gear and a community of people who love what they love. There are a lot of advertisers on this site who realize this, and that you don't get something for nothing.

If you wanted to buy banner ads, that's great. It doesn't take long to get in touch with our sales reps, and I know you were in touch with Jackie. Why did you not make your advertising buy?

Also, at this time (and at no time since IB owned the site -- maybe earlier too) buying a banner doesn't get you the right to post whatever ads you want to post in the open forums.

The open forums are for our members, not for our advertisers. If you want to advertise in the forums themselves, you purchase a vendor forum, which gets you your very own place to say whatever you want about your product or service, and you can control who gets to post there and if you don't like what they say, you can moderate it yourself however you like. It's an amazing way to promote your business on a site with a huge built-in audience. You also get to chime in on the open forums when someone talks about something related to your business, and ask them if they'd like to discuss it in your forum.

If you'd like an example of how this works, see the vendor forums of RPP, RC MART, VRC, etc., all of whom pay to have such access to this awesome community. They do very well advertising in this way, and if we allow companies such as yours to advertise for free, what message do you think that sends to our paying advertisers who support the site?

Again, we'd love to have you aboard as a site sponsor. If not, we wish you all the best. But I wanted to be sure you understand the difference between "helping out" and advertising: if you're making money off it, you are advertising. And you ought to pay for the privilege, like other companies do.

Paul
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by IBobi
Sorry you feel that way, Jimmy.

Policy here has always been that if you are advertising on this site, making money by selling products and services, you ought to be paying for the privilege. Paul, this is why I thought it was about time to "pony up" and buy some ad space.

You get access on RCT to a huge group of dedicated enthusiasts who are eager for tips, gear and a community of people who love what they love. There are a lot of advertisers on this site who realize this, and that you don't get something for nothing. That is true. However if you crack down on one you should crack down on the rest. If you kicked everyone off of here that is "commercially advertising" your forum site would be 1/3 the size it is. By the very definition according to the law "commercial advertising" “the making of a representation in any form in connection with a trade, business, craft or profession in order to promote the supply of goods or services, including immovable property, rights and obligations” therefor ANY and I mean ANY mention of a brand, product, service or goods is "commercial advertising".

If you wanted to buy banner ads, that's great. It doesn't take long to get in touch with our sales reps, and I know you were in touch with Jackie. Why did you not make your advertising buy? I was in talks with Jackie as far back as late last year. I am a very small business and at that time it wasn't in the budget. This year has been really good for us and I wanted to give back. I reconnected with Jackie but two days later I received an email from her stating that I needed to have a Vendor Forum to retain my rights to post on RCTech that as you have pointed out a banner ad won't cut it. At that point I forwarded that email and all correspondence to my attorney for review.

Also, at this time (and at no time since IB owned the site -- maybe earlier too) buying a banner doesn't get you the right to post whatever ads you want to post in the open forums. By the very definition of #1 in your forum rules you are right.

The open forums are for our members, not for our advertisers. If you want to advertise in the forums themselves, you purchase a vendor forum, which gets you your very own place to say whatever you want about your product or service, and you can control who gets to post there and if you don't like what they say, you can moderate it yourself however you like. It's an amazing way to promote your business on a site with a huge built-in audience. You also get to chime in on the open forums when someone talks about something related to your business, and ask them if they'd like to discuss it in your forum. I have been a member here much longer than an "advertiser" but I appreciate the Vendor Foum feature but it is just not financially obtainable for small businesses. I can buy year long ad space on much larger news sites with double the ad space that I can change each month or each week (on some) for nearly HALF of what one month of the Vendor Forum cost. ( RCTech cost per month / Others ad cost per month = 20times X's Double the ad space = 40 times) My money goes much much further. ANY business owner should see that as a plus and some already have.

If you'd like an example of how this works, see the vendor forums of RPP, RC MART, VRC, etc., all of whom pay to have such access to this awesome community. They do very well advertising in this way, and if we allow companies such as yours to advertise for free, what message do you think that sends to our paying advertisers who support the site?
In the above example I think it shows that they are paying too much. I was fine with supporting the site with a banner ad for $$ which is really too much. But then being herded over to the Vendor forum area for 2.5 times the cost with your oldest "advertiser" having an 8 year run here and only having 3300+ views and less than 600 posts....... Really?! No thanks. Looking at my thread in the Nitro off road forum it has over 50,000 views and 1400+ posts in under 3 years you know why? Mainly because of it's location. You move that to the Vendor Forum section and it will stagnate just like the rest. Marketing is just like real estate.

Again, we'd love to have you aboard as a site sponsor. If not, we wish you all the best. But I wanted to be sure you understand the difference between "helping out" and advertising: if you're making money off it, you are advertising. And you ought to pay for the privilege, like other companies do.

I was willing to as I stated above. This experience has been an eye opener for sure.

Paul
The saga continues.....
Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Does AMain in the banner really make any difference? Big forum, lots of PM memory, and its all free! Someones gotta pay for the stuff.
Better A Main Hobbies than me!
i agree but if you love rct so much why is beatyourtruck your avatar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.