Wiki Posts
Search

Warning!!!! Be careful

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Warning!!!! Be careful

Hi everyone,

Be careful of opening any emails you receive from rctech from user AE_Racer.

i just got one which was a virus. Lucky enough I am well equiped and seasoned enough to check for these things being a webdesigner.

If you havent already done so I would suggest installing a virus scanner on your PC and make sure its up-to-date. AVG has a brilliant free scanner with free updates facility and I highly recommend it over norton or McAfee.

I am not saying this user sent the virus intentionally. Just saying to check all incoming emails for the possibility that a virus is attached.

The subject name of the email will usually be something like:

Re: text message

and will contain an attachment.

do not open any attachments if you are not expecting them. And always check the attachments for viruses before opening them even if you are awaiting it.

Campbell
Old 09-18-2004, 11:39 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Remember that when you receive these messages, in 99% of the cases the person they are listed as coming "from" is not actually who it is from.

For example, I get a few messages a day that are "from" [email protected], even though I know my computer is not infected with a virus.

To populate the virus, it will send itself from an infected computer but make it look like it came from one person in the infected system's address book, and send it to a different person in the address book. This way, they figure that the average user will not be able to trace the infected computer, and will go ahead and open the message.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by futureal
Remember that when you receive these messages, in 99% of the cases the person they are listed as coming "from" is not actually who it is from.

For example, I get a few messages a day that are "from" [email protected], even though I know my computer is not infected with a virus.

To populate the virus, it will send itself from an infected computer but make it look like it came from one person in the infected system's address book, and send it to a different person in the address book. This way, they figure that the average user will not be able to trace the infected computer, and will go ahead and open the message.

Hope that makes sense.
yep. thats why I said this person didnt send it intentionally. Should have said that he possibily didnt send it. I get a lot of these coming through each day too. And after sourcing them or taking apart the virus to have a look it appears that 99% of all the viruses are coming from China. Amazes me how many of the virii creators are stupid enough to leave a trail right back to their home address inside the virii alone.

Note: i have access to the proper tools for disassembling virii and i would not recommend that anyone attempt to do this if they are not programmer savvy. It is still possible for your pc to get infected seriously while disassembling any virus even in the safe environment.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:31 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I receive this virus about 3-4 times a day, many times with it appearing to be from myself, futureal, or other random people.