Wiki Posts
Search

Canon - EOS Rebel T2i or EOS Rebel T3

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default Canon - EOS Rebel T2i or EOS Rebel T3

So the family is taking a trip to Hawaii in a month and a half and I want a new camera, on top of that I am getting married a few months later and again want a better camera for that.

I have run the ropes with point and shoots, last summer I rented a Nikon DSLR and was taking AMAZING pictures with little to no work so I have decided to go with a DSLR. I think I have narrowed it down to these two, based somewhat on price. I will be buying new as well.

Whats everyones thoughts?

O and if I can use it for shooting RC the rest of the time thats even better.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
So the family is taking a trip to Hawaii in a month and a half and I want a new camera, on top of that I am getting married a few months later and again want a better camera for that.

I have run the ropes with point and shoots, last summer I rented a Nikon DSLR and was taking AMAZING pictures with little to no work so I have decided to go with a DSLR. I think I have narrowed it down to these two, based somewhat on price. I will be buying new as well.

The T2i is superior in every way, but here are the highlights:

LCD Size
T3 = 2.7in
T2i = 3.0in

LCD Resolution
T3 = 230,000 dots
T2i = 1,040,000 dots

MP (Megapixels aren't everything like most P&S users think, but in this case it is.)
T3 = 12.2mp
T2i = 18mp

Frames per second (continuous shooting, you know if you want to go click, click, click, click and feel like a sports photographer)
T3= 3fps
T2i= 3.7fps

The LCD resolution and MP are reason enough. Add in that the T2i will do full 1080hd video and it's ISO is expandable to 12,800 (however noisy that will be, still better than not having it)

If you have the means, get the T2i, it's by far the better camera.

Now whether or not you can shoot a wedding or RC cars in low light with them is a whole other issue that depends on your lenses, but the kit lens on the T2i will be great for a family trip to Hawaii and pretty much any other well lit situation.

The kit lens is also nice and wide (18-55mm) but you'll probably want to get one more lens with a bit more reach so you can zoom in. Something like this would be decent and not break your bank. http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFS.html

Take me with you and I'll give you free lessons!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

I did alot of reading on these two along with others, and for the money I decided to go with the T3, I get that the T2i is a bettery camera but for what I need it was not worth the extra money (as it is the T3 is going on a CC ) I will be getting a 55-250mm lense with it as well.

If I end up using this camera as much as I think I will then I will upgrade later on down the road (the business always needs more write offs). 99% of what I will be shooting will be outdoors in good light (wedding and rc will almost all be outside)

From the crappy point and shoots I had been using I dont think I will be disapointed with either of these I got hooked while shooting our RC Calendar last summer and now have a reason to buy one of my own
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I did alot of reading on these two along with others, and for the money I decided to go with the T3, I get that the T2i is a bettery camera but for what I need it was not worth the extra money (as it is the T3 is going on a CC ) I will be getting a 55-250mm lense with it as well.

If I end up using this camera as much as I think I will then I will upgrade later on down the road (the business always needs more write offs). 99% of what I will be shooting will be outdoors in good light (wedding and rc will almost all be outside)

From the crappy point and shoots I had been using I dont think I will be disapointed with either of these I got hooked while shooting our RC Calendar last summer and now have a reason to buy one of my own
The T3 is a good camera and it will serve you well. Wasn't implying it was a bad camera, just pointing out why the T2i is better. You're going to love it and I've seen many spectacular photos come out of that camera. Enjoy!

Price and features are great on paper but FWIW I have a 1ds and a 5DmkII that I use for my professional stuff, but when I'm shooting on my own time I almost always use my "far inferior" camera the old 40D because I still like it.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MaplestreetRC
The T3 is a good camera and it will serve you well. Wasn't implying it was a bad camera, just pointing out why the T2i is better. You're going to love it and I've seen many spectacular photos come out of that camera. Enjoy!

Price and features are great on paper but FWIW I have a 1ds and a 5DmkII that I use for my professional stuff, but when I'm shooting on my own time I almost always use my "far inferior" camera the old 40D because I still like it.
Thanks for your input, I understand about using something that your comfertable with I am the same way with 3D modeling programs (my day job) I still use AutoCADD 2007 on alot of stuff because its much easier to get things done in then the new 2012 version

Most of the images in our Calendar were shot with a 40D because it was our photographers go to camera and he prefered to shoot with it. I am very excited going to pick it up on Saturday, now to plan a few outings before Hawaii to get the hang of it before the "important" pictures.

I started looking at the T3 made it all the way up to the T3i before talking myself back down to the price zone I was comfertable in Besides a great camera is nothing in the hands of someone with a bad eye, give a crappy camera to someone with an eye for photography and you will be amazed at the pictures you get
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Both great cameras. Personally I'd go with the t2i between those two, or step up and get the t3i. I own the 60D and love it. One thing to consider though is; while the camera is a big part of making great images, the LENS is more important. Save your $$ to get a decent lens to start with and forego the kit lenses. The other component is experience, but you can't buy that. Have a great time in HI!