Wiki Posts
Search

Photography! (dial-up beware!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jpilone

I tell ya, 12th scales are hard to shoot!!
but it looks great!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

That's some really nice pics you've got there Jpilone! This 12:th scale shot is really awesome!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Suspended

Here's a shot I took at the IFMAR pre worlds in Kissimee, FL in May.

Here's a link to the gallery of my pics there (magazine pics from RC Driver aren't on there, check out the august issue for those)

IFMAR Pre Worlds Gallery
Old 07-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Wohoo! Those pics are GREAT, Jpilone! Would be fancy to have a pic of my own car in that class

Today I was at "Falsterbo Classic and Sportscar show" and had a look at their sprintrace, I took some pics to, nothing fancy, but I'm pretty satisfied to have taken them with a slow Fuji A204
The reason that I haven't moved the camera along with the car is that I had to hang out trough a fence (the pro photographers were on the other side of the fence )

No. 1:
Attached Thumbnails Photography! (dial-up beware!)-volvo-s60-stcc-web.jpg  
Old 07-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

No 2:
Attached Thumbnails Photography! (dial-up beware!)-ferrari-360-web.jpg  
Old 07-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Last one:
Attached Thumbnails Photography! (dial-up beware!)-formula-renault-v6-web.jpg  
Old 07-17-2004, 03:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was told today of this area of RCTech and figured it's about time I came back on and visited. And also contibute.

So with out going into my life story, below are some of the pictures I've taken at the race meets I've been asked to attend and photography for an Australian Mag, Racing Lines (A shameless plug )

Sorry for the amount of them but theres alot of catching up to do.

So guys, no mater what camera you have, whether it's a 12 grad (Aus) Canon 1Ds or a $900 (Aus) Fuji FINEPIXs, you can all take great photos with patience and practice (oh and digital helps with the end processing costs).

Also remember this is an Art Form so mix it up. Change the camera angle. Go a smaller lense. Look for that different side of RC Cars. Just be different. Don't follow the sheep, be the sheppard.

Cya's all round.

Last edited by QuickParrot; 07-17-2004 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Must say those are really nice pics!! How many millimeters are the telelens you've used for the closest pics? Are they originally taken with an analogue camera or an digital one?

P.S Exuse my bad language, I just don't know all photography terms in english, since my father is a photographer I know everything in my own language, but I can't translate it as my wordbook doesn't cover technical terms..
Old 07-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by New_Toasted
Must say those are really nice pics!! How many millimeters are the telelens you've used for the closest pics? Are they originally taken with an analogue camera or an digital one?

P.S Exuse my bad language, I just don't know all photography terms in english, since my father is a photographer I know everything in my own language, but I can't translate it as my wordbook doesn't cover technical terms..
Some good questions and the language is not bad. We can still understand what your asking which is the priority.

OK, I use a Canon 10D and a total of two lenses. A Canon 90 - 300 (4.5 to 5.6) which is mostly kept at the 300 mark or near that figure, especially when at the Nitro tracks in Aus (Fensing to keep us safe). At some corners I'm close enough so I'll wind it back to what ever the shot needs (I don't like to crop shots alot).

Digital is the only way when it comes down to it. Really the amount of photos I'll toss is huge (You will see that I've taken over 8000 photos in the last 9 months). But after some practise you find that each race will only need 400 to 500 shots to get it right. In some cases (Like the 1/5ths and 1/8ths) Each shot was fantastic so it took alot of checks and re checks to get it down to the 200 mark which gets sent to the publisher.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more info (I've got specs on each shot if you would like).
Old 07-17-2004, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

The 1/5th pics are really impressive
very beautiful
Old 07-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by utieh
very beautiful
Why thank you. I aim to please (Modisty is a quality I say).

It took alot of practise to get the style right but in the end it's what people and the most important person of them all, yourself, think of the shot.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by utieh
very beautiful
I should also add that 1/5th scale is a great format to take photos of. You can use the camera's features to your advantage and concentrate on the Panning and artistic side of the shot. It's still not a mater of point and click but it certainly is easyier than the smaller 1/10th scale which is very twitchy especially in the lower classes (got to love A Final Mod and Stock. The drivers a so much smoother with their lines)

Lastly, utieh, I would like to challenge you to take your Medium format camera and try some action shots of RC cars. Remember that what you can do is only limited to your Imagination. Get creative and don't let anyone tell you your camera won't take a good Action or Still shot. You maybe very surprised.

Let me know how you go.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info QucikParrot (you mind if I call you QP? )!
I see that the 10D uses a "full-size" CCD, so a 300mm tele on the D10 would be the equivalent of a 300mm on my 35mm Pentax A3?
The best lens I have for the Pentax is just 135mm, but with 2.8. If thats to "weak" I can use an Olympus which I've got a 200mm lens for, I think that would be more than enough since it's not so plenty of space to stand when you take pics at my local track.

If I shall try taking action shots I'll have to work on film since we haven't got a single fast digital camera with any acceptable lens. I can just hope my father will go over to digital photography sometime, right now he's using a Pentax 6x7 II and scans all he do, and he gets great quality and you always have the negative if your computer crashes, but it costs you a heck of a lot more.. But the main reason that makes him stay analogue for a bit longer time is mainly because it's still "the digital camera you buy new today is old tomorrow".

I'll report back if I try taking some
Old 07-17-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by QuickParrot
I should also add that 1/5th scale is a great format to take photos of. You can use the camera's features to your advantage and concentrate on the Panning and artistic side of the shot. It's still not a mater of point and click but it certainly is easyier than the smaller 1/10th scale which is very twitchy especially in the lower classes (got to love A Final Mod and Stock. The drivers a so much smoother with their lines)

Lastly, utieh, I would like to challenge you to take your Medium format camera and try some action shots of RC cars. Remember that what you can do is only limited to your Imagination. Get creative and don't let anyone tell you your camera won't take a good Action or Still shot. You maybe very surprised.

Let me know how you go.
If there is a good light one day I will try, what i like about Medium format is the "screen" I really can concentrate on the composition of the image (don't like to crop a pic), Mine is not that fast (1/500) but with a good light ,400 films, and a focus preparation (I will set it at a corner with a still car, depend on my diaphragm set up too) it could work, nothing is automatic on this camera except the integrated flashmeter...

But I must admit that I use more this camera for my job (fashion), and I'm not fortunate enough to take as many pics as I would like (damn RC! )

Sorry for the bad english too...don't really know the technical words.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by New_Toasted
Thanks for the info QucikParrot (you mind if I call you QP? )!
I see that the 10D uses a "full-size" CCD, so a 300mm tele on the D10 would be the equivalent of a 300mm on my 35mm Pentax A3?
The best lens I have for the Pentax is just 135mm, but with 2.8. If thats to "weak" I can use an Olympus which I've got a 200mm lens for, I think that would be more than enough since it's not so plenty of space to stand when you take pics at my local track.

If I shall try taking action shots I'll have to work on film since we haven't got a single fast digital camera with any acceptable lens. I can just hope my father will go over to digital photography sometime, right now he's using a Pentax 6x7 II and scans all he do, and he gets great quality and you always have the negative if your computer crashes, but it costs you a heck of a lot more.. But the main reason that makes him stay analogue for a bit longer time is mainly because it's still "the digital camera you buy new today is old tomorrow".

I'll report back if I try taking some
You can call me what ever you like but QP will do (alot of people I know, know me as QP)

A 135mm F2.8 is a nice piece of kit and would come in handy. Try and find a nice close corner. Setup your focus point and start shooting. Whats the worst you can do ?. Waste some film. Hey your dad's a full time photographer (am I correct with that ?) so film should be cheap to process. The one thing you've got to remember is it's the composition that matters not the gear you use.

Now the 10D doesn't have a full size CCD. It's got s multiplier of 1.6 which basically means my 300mm is a 480 although I doubt this is truely accurate. I should get my film body out and test this. If it is right then hey no need to go buy those long expensive primes (FIxed Focal Length Telephotos). A Nice 400mm F4 or F2.8 would work wonders. The only bitchy thing about the 1.6 Multiplier is when you want that close close shot. A 15mm becomes 24mm. Oh well.

If I had the money I'd get the 1Ds which is a 35mm size CCD. Maybe when the big mags come knocking or I win the lotto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.