Community
Wiki Posts
Search

market for cnc quality machined rc parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default market for cnc quality machined rc parts

Hello all. I have a several guys at work that run rc trucks. While I have never owned one they do have my interest up in building one. I have cnc equipment and mastercam programming software. They have been talking to me saying there is a market for quality usa made rc parts from aluminum and other materials. both on the production end and custom designed end. I am very interested in filling that niche if possible. I would like some input if this is worth my time or not. Keep in mind Im not wanting to get rich of RC just filling in a niche and getting into the fun myself testing new equipment
Old 07-31-2010, 05:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

PM SENT!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Go for it.

Sounds like you may have fell into the wonderful world of RC addiction, You could make a modest living just in producing quality parts at affordable prices.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is a very high demand for cnc replacements for stock parts. I think the demand is greatest with car and truck and not so much on planes and helis only "need" few cnc parts. I currenly own a buggy that I would love to have cnc diff gears for, stock are kinda weak.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Rookie

I might add I am not one of the types to come on the scene make a buck off a group of people and disappear to another group to do the same thing. I wont sell something I know nothing about. That is unless someone walks thru the door with a part they wants modeled and built. The guys at work have a blast with rc. I couldnt think of a better way to have fun than designing something testing it and then offering it to the world to buy. A little about myself I have been an aircraft machinist for 25 years last 7 programming. I recently bought my first cnc for my shop (sure beats cranking the handles on the bridgeport that is now felaing neglected.) and have also bought a seat of mastercam. I still work for another shop full time. I have zero overhead so I can charge less and still make about the same the guys do with employees and running a banker owned shop. Please keep the ideas rolling in and I will take a look at them
Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beekeeper
That is unless someone walks thru the door with a part they wants modeled and built.
Where's your door at?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oracus
Where's your door at?
DITTO!!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Oracus
Where's your door at?
I am located in oxford kansas. We are a small shop I have ran with manual machines for several years doing farm repairs. I just recently went out on a limb and invested in a cnc mill and a mastercam seat.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What do you have for CNC equipment?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Steebo
What do you have for CNC equipment?
We have a hitachi seiki v48 3 axis with tool changer 36 x 24 bed. We are looking for a good cnc lathe. and a 4th axis rotory table for the mill. we run matercam x4 cad/cam software with solid modeling capabilities
Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

nice.. pm you some suggestions
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default ttt

this idea your havin sounds killer.... short course trucks are becoming a real big thing to modify in several different ways
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

All I can say is, buy an RC car have some fun with it and then see what you can do to improve upon it. Currently the hottest segment in RC trends right now is short course truck. Pick one up and go from there.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mte engineering
We have a hitachi seiki v48 3 axis with tool changer 36 x 24 bed. We are looking for a good cnc lathe. and a 4th axis rotory table for the mill. we run matercam x4 cad/cam software with solid modeling capabilities
that wouldn't happen to be made my the same engineering group as mugen would it
Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default My input.

Hey there MTE Engineering. I have a few suggestions for you. First, like YR4Dude mentioned, you should at least have one r/c car so that you can understand what is going on in the world of R/C, especially so that you can familiarize yourself with parts name and language. Next, you need to pick at least one or two very hot vehicles so that you get the parts designed, tested and put out in the market. A newly design vehicle such as the Associated ShortCourse is a good platform because that vehicle just came out not too long ago and it's going to stay in the market at least 2-3 years. Going lightweight especially with Titanium and aluminum alloy is a good thing so watch out for your raw material. That may be expensive but in this industry, racers know that a good part is better then money, someone once wrote "parts are cheap but victory is few". Another category you may also look into would be r/c crawlers. They utilize a lot of machined parts because those rigs really use brute force. If you have spare time, doing some really fancy wheels is always nice. Sees aluminum rims along with Technacraft rims (both no longer in business) can fetch up $200 for a set on the Bay. I'll have to private message you..for more ideas I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.