Wiki Posts
Search

Custom and OEM replacement rods and pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Custom and OEM replacement rods and pistons

Guys,

My name is Brad Christy. I am a toolmaker from Miamisburg, OH, just south of Dayton. I have been building and racing high performance model boats for eight years and making parts in support of the sport for about six years. The bulk of these parts has been connecting rods and pistons for our 2-stroke engines. I am here to expand my market to the RC car industry. While I am not into the cars, I do understand how these little engines work. I also know that it is a violent little world inside them and that parts break and wear out. I have been using my own products since the first titanium connecting rod I made for a CMB 67 GrandPrix I got off eBay. My rods and pistons are in service all over the world: USA, Canada, Korea, Australia, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Bermuda, and many other countries. There are several RC boat records held by individuals running my components. Most of my customers are repeat customers. On to the details.........

The pistons are machined from RSA-431 billet aluminum. This is a 30% silicon alloy with high strength, excellent wear properties and a low thermal expansion rate. My supplier lists it as a "Piston Alloy", because this is primarily what it was developed for. I can recondition the chrome in the sleeve and then fit a new piston to it for considerably less than the cost of a new P/S set, and the customer gets to retain all the modifications that have been done to the sleeve.

The rods are machined from either 7075-T6 billet aluminum or 6Al4V titanium, and have 544 phosphor bronze bushings. Some of the larger marine engines use roller bearings on the crank journal so these rods (titanium only) are made with a hardened steel sleeve in the lower end for the rollers.

Costs are as follows:

Pistons:
$55 for anything under 23mm in diameter and $65 for anthing 23-33mm.
Sleeve reconditioning is $25 per sleeve.

Rods:

Aluminum rods are $50 ea. and titanium rods are $75 ea.

I can do custom dimensions for pistons (wrist pin location, skirt length, whatever...) at no additional cost. I can also do some custom rods, as well, but there will be a $25 (one time) charge for some changes (such as C-C length, crankpin or wristpin hole diameters), due to the need for a special fixture that may never be used again.

Contact me directly:
Via E-Mail: titan-racing (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net.
Via phone: (937)859-0858

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

This sounds like a really nice service. You should start a permanent forum in the Vendor forum list. It will stay visible more easily than this thread and you can add additional threads for FQA, mod discussion, etc. This will get burried on the for sale thread mess and it deserves it's own spot.