Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whitrzac

Liquid mask

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Liquid mask

I've only painted a few lids and they where pretty basic designs using auto pinstriping, blue and green tape. However this time I want to try some liquid mask but I'm inquiring if there is a certain brand I pick up or if it matters what brand I go with.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

My shop only has bittydesign so that's all I've ever used and I don't have a single complaint about it. Dries quickly and cuts easily. I'm sure others will chime in with their own versions and likes/dislikes but I only have experience with the one brand.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Over the years, I have used GALLONS of Bob Diveley Liquid mask. If you paint in bulk, try finding Sign Strip by Spraylet. It is heavy duty liquid mask used by commercial sign painter, available in up to 53 gallon drums. In my best years of painting, I went through a gallon every 6 months.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just for some future reference, I committed the cardinal sin with liquid mask and put it on too thin on my last body I just completed. Made me sick, it was similar to cavaleri's body (I have a poor imagination so I usually pick a paint job I like and just change it up some) and I spent hours prepping and drawing and masking etc. Almost unpeelable in most spots where the detail work was and I had already started when I figured it out so too late to redo.

Looks absolutely terrible. So whenever you start using it, make sure it's thick enough to do what it's supposed to do. Sucks, I've never pulled that one before, always peels like a champ but I totally screwed this one up.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Just trying to avoid making another thread, but will this brush be good enough to apply liquid mask accurately or perhaps I should try something else?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-la...107842/p150163
Old 04-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Go to your local department store and buy foam brushes from the craft department, no need to spend $$$ on 'rc' brushes.

The $10 HVLP spray gun from hobofreight works well too.
Castradamus likes this.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Go to your local department store and buy foam brushes from the craft department, no need to spend $$$ on 'rc' brushes.

The $10 HVLP spray gun from hobofreight works well too.
That's a relief, thank you I'll take a trip after work today to pick some up.

Follow up question, do you think a 4oz bottle of bob dively's liquid mask will be enough for a full 1/8 buggy body and a 1/14 scale truggy body?