Wiki Posts
Search

backing color?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Rookie

backing color?

Hi all,

I'm painting my first body using tamiya cans (all they had) and have chosen RED. All goes well so far, but I would like to darken the red if possible by choosing the appropriate backing color but don't know which color will give the desired effect, or any at all.

I would like to to darken the RED so that it is more blood red. The color is fairly close right now, so it doesn't need too much influence. Can anyone help with this?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Black.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

dark colors can bleed through light colors, i would NOT do black. spray the red a few more coats to darken it up. and always back with a WHITE coat.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SSmoked
dark colors can bleed through light colors, i would NOT do black. spray the red a few more coats to darken it up. and always back with a WHITE coat.
You are partially correct.....you can back with a darker color to darken up the first color...but you have to make sure that the first color has enough coverage or else the darker color will bleed through like you said and just turn it into a big mess.

Spitfire.....You can use Black or even Purple to make that Red darker but you need to make sure that you have enough coverage with the Red before hand or if you use Black or Purple you will end up with a nasty purplish color....I would try it out on wheel well or something first and see what its going to look like when you spray the darker color.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys,

I have just done another thick RED coat and will propably do one more in a couple of hours. The overall coverage is getting quite thick, although I can still see shadows behind it when held to a light.

I am leaning towards attempting light coats of BLACK as the backing, (I really want to darken this RED) but am still a little uncertain. What difference would a SILVER backing make? would it lighten or darken the RED? I don't want brighter at all.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

silver might darken it a little but it will be more from blocking all the light from the inside that makes it see through.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My bad, shoulda said to be sure the red is thick enough. I did it, and my Pactra Racing Red is a deep "brick red" almost.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

I ended up using a thick coat of black and it is still very red. I would have liked it to be even darker, but this is still much better then it was. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

one little tip, when your doing rattle can, buy the color you like from the top of the can. its kinda hard to change rattle can colors. so if you dont like it just how it shows, i wouldnt buy it. but glad it half way worked anyway! lol you'll have another body soon dont worry lol