Wiki Posts
Search

Mishap while painting body.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mishap while painting body.

Hi guys,

I recently painted my first ever body, a proline 72 Chevy body. I have laid down 4-5 thin coats of spaz stix candy apple green, and one coat of spaz stix silver backer, all on the inside of the body.

Now, I seen some debris in the silver backer and attempted to pick it out (very silly i know), i now have a 1cmx1cm rounded section missing paint completely on the bonnet, back to clear.

Should I try to mask up all the body and just paint the missing section again, or should I just do some more coats of the green then do another silver backer?

I am just not sure if adding another coat of color over the silver backer is a good idea.

Or is spraying a little of the paint in a clean container, and using a small brush an option?

I do intend on having 3 coats of the silver backer once completed.

Thank You.

EDIT: uploaded some pretty bad pics to make it easier for you guys. Keep in mind the protective film it still on the outside of the body.

Last edited by Phorkz; 06-27-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Initiate

If it was me, I would just respray that spot and back with the silver. I would not bother taping anything. If using an airbrush, you should be able to spray that spot without affecting the surrounding area much. With having the silver backer already on it, it should help from having a darken green circle/ring show through. That's just how I would do it. Maybe some of the very talented painters on here have better advice to give.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Soar Loser
If it was me, I would just respray that spot and back with the silver. I would not bother taping anything. If using an airbrush, you should be able to spray that spot without affecting the surrounding area much. With having the silver backer already on it, it should help from having a darken green circle/ring show through. That's just how I would do it. Maybe some of the very talented painters on here have better advice to give.
Sorry forgot to mention i am using aerosol cans, still think i should use your method?

Thanks for the reply also.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Silver backing helps keep other colors from showing through. If there is a decent coat on already it may still work. I would just try to hit that spot and not all of the body. Maybe it will blend in and not be to noticeable. If not find a nice decal/sticker for that spot if possible.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Soar Loser
Silver backing helps keep other colors from showing through. If there is a decent coat on already it may still work. I would just try to hit that spot and not all of the body. Maybe it will blend in and not be to noticeable. If not find a nice decal/sticker for that spot if possible.
Ok cheers mate.

Problem is it currently has my first coat of silver on only, so its not a complete 100% cover, i will attempt to just spray with spot in question see how i go.

Any other ideas/tips from anyone would be much appreciated also.

Cheers.

Last edited by Phorkz; 06-27-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I would paint two matte black Chevy SS style stripes on the outside surface after you remove the overspray film. They should cover the blemish.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Now seeing where the spot is, I would still try to touch it up. If it doesn't look right, then do as Colors By Dave has said and put some SS stripes. Can't hurt to try as you can always cover the blemish with the stripes.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Cheers guys, i will try to touch up first, if it ends up looking like shit i will either go the stripes as suggested, or find a sticker i like in that location, will post up pics when done anyway, paint is a couple days away in the post still atm.

One thing i think i will do, is get a toothpick, and try to clean just the slight edge of silver showing , just in case after hitting with the green again there is still a slight circle of the silver showing.

Last edited by Phorkz; 06-27-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

I've had this problem a few times. It's critical that you remove the silver edge around the area first. A tooth pick will be tricky. You can use an X-acto knife with a new blade and cut a line around the silver separating it from the main color and then you can use the tooth pick to remove the silver paint without disturbing the main color.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Caci623
I've had this problem a few times. It's critical that you remove the silver edge around the area first. A tooth pick will be tricky. You can use an X-acto knife with a new blade and cut a line around the silver separating it from the main color and then you can use the tooth pick to remove the silver paint without disturbing the main color.
I was thinking of doing that, but i am worried i will cut/scratch the body by accident, i guess i may have to do it though.
I guess even if i did have a slight scratch, it would be less visible than a ring of silver paint!

Thank You!

Last edited by Phorkz; 06-27-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Just get some matte black vinyl from a sign shop, cut some stripes using an x acto knife and a straight edge, and apply!