Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Advice needed for painting body fluorescent yellow >

Advice needed for painting body fluorescent yellow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed for painting body fluorescent yellow

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice needed for painting body fluorescent yellow

Hello,

Just bought my first kit (RC10B5) and I would like to paint it all fluorescent yellow.

I have bought a can of Tamiya PS 27 (florescent yellow) and a can of Tamiya PS 1 (white).

Never having painted a body before I would appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers.

What I know so far is:

Wash with warm water and dish liquid and dry thoroughly
Scuff inside with scotch brite pad (is more or less better?) avoiding windows
Multiple light coats of first colour (yellow)
Multiple light coats of backing colour (white)

As the yellow is semi transparent I'm not sure how many coats to do, I read painting RC bodies with fluorescent colours takes a bit of practice.

I'll be following up after painting as well to show how it turns out.

Any and all advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't overthink it. It's not as complicated as you may be thinking it is.

I would put the window masks on first, then wash it out, dry it, and scuff it if you want. It's not always necessary to scuff a body. Especially one that isn't going to take a lot of impact. But it won't hurt.

Then do like you said - light coats of the yellow. I would do maybe three or four. The first coat is the most important. It will "seal" the edges of your window masks so nothing will leak under them. It doesn't need to be a heavy coat. Just a light mist.

Then let it dry for an hour. If you want to check if it's dry, touch the inside of the window masks. That way if it's not dry and you leave a fingerprint, it's not somewhere it's going to be visible when it's done.

Then just repeat that step. Once you get four coats on just look for even coverage. Like you mentioned it's transparent, so you are still going to be able to see through the body. Just look to make sure the paint looks even.

Let it dry, then back it with white. Probably 2 coats of white is all you'll need. You don't want the paint to be so solid that you can't see light through it when you hold it up. That will be way too thick and can cause the paint to chip. Set the body painted side down on a newspaper or magazine or something else with a lot of dark and light areas. If you can see the newspaper through the body, it needs another coat of paint. If you can't, you're done.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info.

Is it correct that if you spray the fluorescent too thick it wont look fluorescent?

Also I'm not sure if I should cut the body before or after, I was thinking if I did it before I could use some of the scrap to practice on. But at the same time I only have the 1 can of each so couldn't practice too much and paint the body as well.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezarc
Thanks for the info.

Is it correct that if you spray the fluorescent too thick it wont look fluorescent?

Also I'm not sure if I should cut the body before or after, I was thinking if I did it before I could use some of the scrap to practice on. But at the same time I only have the 1 can of each so couldn't practice too much and paint the body as well.
I guess that's true, but you'd have to spray a lot of it.

It's up to you if you cut it before or after. I've always cut after, but I know a lot of people cut before. I do it after to minimize overspray. But then there is the chance you'll scratch the paint if you cut it after, so it's a personal preference thing.

If you have any empty 2 liter soda bottles you can cut them up and practice painting on them. But you will have more than enough paint. You should be able to do at least 2 buggy bodies with the paint you have.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Ah yes I didn't think of cutting a bottle in half, thanks for that tip.

I think I'll try it that way then.

It wont be painted for a week or so but I'll post my results when its done.