Wiki Posts
Search

Noob masking question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Noob masking question

So I've watched countless youtube videos, read through pages and pages of how-to mask write ups and everyone uses liquid mask. Thats great, I can wait the time to dry and all that. BUT, I prefer the flowing lines that vinyl striping tape gives. I'd really like to mask my outlines with it and be able to remove it as the final step and have that perfect width outline to my flames.

Does this not work? Can i outline it with the striping tape, back it with wide masking tape and just remove the masking tape first, then the striping tape?

I'm much better at laying out a flowing design with tape then with shaky hand and an xacto.

I've attached a pic of my layout on the outside of the body that i was going to use as a guide for masking the inside.

Thanks for your help and be kind, this is my first endeavor with my new airbrush.
Attached Thumbnails Noob masking question-image.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yep that will work just fine.I've been painting bodies for yrs and have never used liquid mask.I only use tape and vinyl.personally I think they come out better this way.
Attached Thumbnails Noob masking question-img_20141128_191305.jpg  
Old 12-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I was a die-hard taper for a long time. I was trying to step up my game and doing detailed painting with tape was taking waaaay too long, sometimes 10 hours or more. I made the decision to try liquid mask and committed to it. I will tell you that cutting takes practice and is one of the most tedious parts of the job but with practice and patience, even with unsteady hands you will be able to knock out amazing work in no time at all.

Some of the most helpful things I have learned about cutting
  • Use the right blade: #11
  • Have different length blade handles: Long to Short
  • For Straight lines lay the knife handle down and pull the line
  • For cutting curves: use a honing stone or 600 grit wet sanding paper to "curve hone" the tip of a #11 blade. Just the smallest bit of the tip should be curved, this will help with control while cutting curved shapes.

All hand drawn and cut using liquid mask

Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

How do you get parallel lines with liquid mask? Do you cut all of the graphics before paint or just the first color?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You cut everything. All of it. Before you paint. Then peel and paint as you go.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

It doesnt bleed in the cuts? If thats the case, next job is gonn be liquid mask. Do you use a foam brush to apply?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigPinion
[*]For cutting curves: use a honing stone or 600 grit wet sanding paper to "curve hone" the tip of a #11 blade. Just the smallest bit of the tip should be curved, this will help with control while cutting curved shapes.
i'm curious what you mean by this, i've been using tape for years, thinking its time to try the mask. does that allow the blade to move along the body better?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Everybody79x
It doesnt bleed in the cuts? If thats the case, next job is gonn be liquid mask. Do you use a foam brush to apply?
It should not bleed unless your cut is not complete and you pull up the edge but of course don't cut so hard you score and damage the body. Otherwise it works great. I do three to four coats in opposite directions with a foam brush.