Wiki Posts
Search

Proper reducing for Pactra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Proper reducing for Pactra?

I was told about half reducer to the amount of paint, but I know you guys will have the right answer. I just purchased a paasche VL kit and it will be my first attempt other than rattle can jobs. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Pig
Tech Apprentice

Pole, there's no set recipe for thinning paints. Instead, go for consistency. The best consistency I've found (and have been recommended several times over) is the consistency of milk. Some will say buttermilk, others milk, but it comes down to what sprays the best for your application. Some pigments spray better than others and may not need to be thinned as much, while others may need to be thinned more. It'll take some practice until you get the "feel" of how much you need to thin.

Sorry I couldn't give you more of a definitive answer, but there's not exact answer for this other than to practice and see what sprays the best.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What pressure do can you spray at with Pactra as I am used to spraying with Faskolor.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Pig
Tech Apprentice

You can spray a Pactra at a variety of pressures. I've sprayed them everywhere from 20 psi to 60 psi. With the Pactra paints, the pressure is only limited by your airbrush.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use pactra lacquers lots and I like them they spray really nice. I always thin them out at least with a 1:1 ratio of paint and thinner. Also do not spray them above 25psi, besides you will never need to spray at a higher psi than that anyway (I usually go with 20psi, or for detail work I'll use less than 15psi, sometimes as low as 10psi). If you spray at too high an air pressure or spray the paints too thick they will cobweb, which means that they are drying before the hit the body, which is very bad!