Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Custom-mixed airbrush paints & avoiding waste >

Custom-mixed airbrush paints & avoiding waste

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom-mixed airbrush paints & avoiding waste

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Custom-mixed airbrush paints & avoiding waste

Guys, I'm relatively new to airbrushing and have a question about how much paint, at least a good estimate, is used when painting a typical RC body; your expertise would certainly help reduce the guess-work.

I'm going to be doing some custom paint-mixing with FasKolor paints. It would be very helpful to have some guidelines on how much paint to mix so as not to waste paint and throw it out; because once mixed, you can't put it back into the original bottles.

I've read that good results with FasKolor paints are when it's mixed with 60 to 65 percent paint to 35 to 40 percent thinning solution. The recommended solution I read about was a mix of Windex to Isopropyl alcohol, 50/50 mix. (Not my recipe, just one I researched from an experienced painter.)

So, bearing in mind the thinning ratio and let's say 3 coats to cover a full RC body with ONE color, approximately how much of a FasKolor bottle would be needed? If I had a good idea about that, it would be a tad easier to know how much paint to mix in a mixing bottle to paint a full body, half body, etc.

Feel free to discuss the "recipe" I researched above and add any tips related to avoiding paint waste. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

you can get empty bottles at Michael's, hobby lobby, etc. for like 50 cents. Use those to store the custom mixes in
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

If I am mixing a custom color I will mix it in a bottle, but if I am just reducing the paint I do that in the cup. x drops of reducer to x drops of paint mix with tooth pick, if I need more paint to finish I just mix more in the cup.

Your "recipe" might work, thou I just use auto air 4011 reduser.

Last edited by 1967rs; 04-22-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
you can get empty bottles at Michael's, hobby lobby, etc. for like 50 cents. Use those to store the custom mixes in
These I already have, but I don't plan to save my paint mixes because I may never use them again--I'm not a big-time painter doing this as a side job. Besides, I still would need to know how much paint to mix. To be specific, approximately how many CC's of thinned paint, or what percentage of an unthinned FasKolor bottle for example, is required to paint your typical offroad buggy body with 3 coats of paint?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I would say about 3/4 of the cup of mixed paint in an hp-cs should do 2 heavy coats, so about 3/8 of an inch of paint from the bottle plus reducer will get you real close.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1967rs
I would say about 3/4 of the cup of mixed paint in an hp-cs should do 2 heavy coats, so about 3/8 of an inch of paint from the bottle plus reducer will get you real close.
Thanks...that would be dependent on the paint cup volume, I suppose. I have this airbrush, it has a 7cc cup capacity...so 3/4 of a 7cc cup of mixed paint would do 2 coats? I'm assuming because I don't know your cup size.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rush_set_.html
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I am confused.
You ask about this because you "don't want to waste paint".
But then you say you are going to throw away what you don't use after mixing it?
Why not keep what you mix? It doesn't cost you anything but a tiny bit of space in the workshop. And you can always change the color by adding other colors later.

It sounds like your question is about mixing colors, but are you really asking about thinning colors>? Because you CAN put thinned paint back in the bottles.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
It sounds like your question is about mixing colors, but are you really asking about thinning colors>? Because you CAN put thinned paint back in the bottles.
I thought the question was clear; it's not about thinning or mixing. It's about how much paint is needed to paint a typical RC buggy body with 3 coats of paint, assuming you're doing just one color. Approximately 2 tablespoons? 5cc? Quarter of a bottle of FasKolor? If I had a good guess about that, the rest I could do the math. I figured I'd ask the experts because I don't know the answer, I haven't painted with FasKolor yet.

1967rs's answer was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, the only issue is I don't know how much paint his airbrush's cup holds.