Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Problem with Chrome

Ok here's another reason for frustrations. When ever I use Spaz Stix Chrome I heat set it then back it with WB black like you're supposed to then cure it in front of the space heater for a bit. When I remove the next section of mask that's next to the chrome it peels off. WTF???? I've tried everything from several coats of Chrome to different "black", i.e. pearl black, reapplied preprep after chrome....nothing works. No matter what I do it peels off. Not all of it but pieces here and there. Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be the paint that may be an old batch? Other than RCS Chrome does anyone have any suggestions? I plan on getting some RCS Chrome when there's some available.

HELP!!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

I had that problem once, I now remove the next section while the chrome is still setting then let dry. Also you might be putting on the backer to thick
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

I may have to try your technique on a quick removal. That's kind of a pain in the butt when you're doing a set of 4 though...lol As far as putting on a thick coat, I only put on 1 light coat with reduced black to that there is little build up. Seems like no matter what I do it peels it up.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

mike - chris has chrome in stock http://www.cmdezigns.com/

generally i would say that people having that trouble are applying the backing coat to heavily. the other thing is perhaps the backing coat hasn't been cured properly.
another thought is maybe you are flashing off the solevents too quickly. just air off the chrome with your airbrush first then apply heat if needed
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

^ +1. Also try to paint all your chrome stuff last.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bfutura15
Also try to paint all your chrome stuff last.
This is the only sure fire way to prevent chrome pull up that works for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

This really stinks because I've tried all suggested methods and still have the issue. Other than leaving it last that is to say.

@Jon....Thank you sir. I looked at the wrong item.....lol. I'll get some ordered.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike E.
Ok here's another reason for frustrations. When ever I use Spaz Stix Chrome I heat set it then back it with WB black like you're supposed to then cure it in front of the space heater for a bit. When I remove the next section of mask that's next to the chrome it peels off. WTF???? I've tried everything from several coats of Chrome to different "black", i.e. pearl black, reapplied preprep after chrome....nothing works. No matter what I do it peels off. Not all of it but pieces here and there. Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be the paint that may be an old batch? Other than RCS Chrome does anyone have any suggestions? I plan on getting some RCS Chrome when there's some available.

HELP!!
The black is too thick. You just need a mist coat to back it. The absolute best solution is to save the chrome for last. It will save the headache. Also, when totally complete and before protecting paint job with krylon or any other protecive final coating, put a coat of Fascoat on so chrome doesn't dull out on you.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

I always leave chrome til last when doing it but has a thought have you tried re-scoring the lines with the scalpel, I know this can be a bit of a pain but may help with the peel issues.

My first choice would be to paint it last though.
Cheers
Graham
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Yep as mentioned I do have the RCS chrome in stock ready whenever you want to try it out. And while all the ideas mentioned will help; if you do the chrome last your results will be better.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Yep as mentioned I do have the RCS chrome in stock ready whenever you want to try it out. And while all the ideas mentioned will help; if you do the chrome last your results will be better.
it's been said before. Part of this thing we call RC painting is planning. You should to do chrome last You also should plan to do water based stuff after lacquers. You HAVE to do chrome after lacquers. If you're doing a piece that you absolutely can't find a way to plan chrome last- don't worry about backing it. I've done chrome pins before and completed the rest of the flame after that, backing it all in white (all WB colors). The colors don't show through. As long as it all gets backed- it's all good.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yep...do chrome last. If that is not possible, try scoring the edge with a #11.