Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoPro's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default GoPro's

Hi i was wondering if any of you use/ have used a gopro to record your rc driving. im am interested in getting one and would like to hear some opinions on if it is woth it or not. also if you use it where do you mount it on your car. i currently drive a SC10
thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 PM
tig
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have one that I use a lot for karting and other racing stuff, I mount it on my helmet. As for an RC car, I thought about trying it but it probably won't work too well for a couple reasons:

-I have an 1/8 nitro buggy, theres no place to mount it that will keep it protected in case of a crash, and since I'm a beginner in the hobby that crash would occur in seconds.

-Its lightweight enough for auto applications to be a moot point, but mounted on an RC car it would be ~10% of the weight or so I would guess. I would think this would significantly alter how the vehicle handles/jumps leading to more crashes, which I do a lot of already.

On the bright side, if you try it and happen to crash hard, the camera is always in that plastic housing. More than likely all that will happen is the 2 tabs on the housing that the mounting attachments go to will break off, and the housing is only 20 bucks or so, I would be really surprised if you actually damage the camera. I work for a road racing team for a living and my camera has been in the car for a couple pretty big crashes and it didn't harm it at all. I have hours of in car footage and even more karting footage, if you try it you have to post it up I think it would be really cool to see!

Good luck
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a GoPro HD, but never would mount it on my car. Only use it for MX. But anyways; For a SC10, YES you CAN mount it in your car. A couple guys I know locally do it.

Egyptsean films 100% of his shots with a GoPro- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WHubG5EarY

Garry969 has a few mounted in-car- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbB6zbZpxso

Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a standard (non HD) Go Pro Hero camera I got from Traxxas. I have attached to everything I can think of from RC cars to helicopters and big airplanes. It works great but the case latch is the weak link and no one sells replacement latches. I have a replacement case on order from a custom motorcycle company online! Been back ordered twice!
video quality is fine so I do not think the additional cost for HD is worth it
IMHO
Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have seen some go pro on car footage from a track near me.