Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Backing paint used as first layer of paint question >

Backing paint used as first layer of paint question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Backing paint used as first layer of paint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Unhappy Backing paint used as first layer of paint question

I am just getting back into the hobby after nearly 20 years, so everything is virtually brand new to me again.

Last week I bought a ProLine F150 Raptor body for my SC10 from Hobby People. I wanted to try to achielve a matte black finish, but i know its nearly impossible due to the glossy finish of the lexan. So the sales guy hands me a can of Pactra backing paint, in black. He says it offers a more dull finish than the "Outlaw Black". I said, "cool, thanks" and bought only the black backing paint.

I got home, trimmed out the body, then washed it with dish soap and warm water, scrubbed thoroughly with my hands, rinsed thoroughly and allowed it to air dry. A few hours later i laid down a light base coat of the paint, then another half hour or so, another layer, and so on, until the body was done. The finish was still glossy nonetheless, lol.

So last night was my first session at the track with the new body and after a few laps with the usual bumps and roll here and there I noticed that the paint was chipping/flaking off like crazy. I dont have a pic, but I was a little disappointed that the paint came off so easily. Does backing paint not adhere to the lexan as well as say the regular paint? Does the regular paint contain more of the flex agent?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to make sure I gave a nice background leading up to my circumstance.

Thanks for reading.

CLIFFNOTE VERSION: Used Pactra backing paint instead of Pactra "regular" paint and the body is chipping/flaking like crazy.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

I've never used the Pactra line, so I can't comment on the paint itself, but giving the body a light scuff with some 1000-2000 grit sandpaper is important to give the paint something more substantial to adhere to.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

1. Your LHS guy is a poor service agent, for selling you any paint that would go on the inside of a shell and "result in a matter finish". Nothing will be matte if you paint it on the inside of the body. It's impossible.
2. Seems odd that the paint would not adhere, but like poster #1 above, I have not used it to have firsthand experience.
3. For the matte black finish, spray a matte clear on the outside of the shell, after painting black on the inside of the shell. It turns out like this:

Last edited by Colors_By_Dave; 06-17-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

yeah, i didnt get a knowledgable vibe from the guy at the LHS.

thanks guys. im thinking of scuffing it up this weekend on the inside of the body, then rinsing again, and respraying the black.

i do have some matte spray, i may trying hitting the outside of the body with it down the line.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Backing paint doesn't adhere to plastic. Hence why it's called BACKING. Made for backing other colors. Get a refund and don't waste your time.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dane
Backing paint doesn't adhere to plastic. Hence why it's called BACKING. Made for backing other colors. Get a refund and don't waste your time.
i had a feeling that was the case. unfortunately i tossed the can when it was done, and im not sure if i can find the receipt. looks like this was a costly lesson. maybe i can stop by the shop and tell them what happened, because the body was $40 and the paint was $6.25, basically $50 down the drain.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya makes a matte clear lexan paint. It is used on the outside of the body.

Testors Model Master line of model paint has a lacquer based flat clear finish that I have been told works just the same as the Tamiya paint.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beedee
i had a feeling that was the case. unfortunately i tossed the can when it was done, and im not sure if i can find the receipt. looks like this was a costly lesson. maybe i can stop by the shop and tell them what happened, because the body was $40 and the paint was $6.25, basically $50 down the drain.
Speak to the manager of the store. They should be paying for your body and the paint. Bad sales advice is the cause of your problems. The Pactra lexan paint adhere very well usually.