Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie airbrush question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Rookie airbrush question

OK I painted my first body in years with an airbrush today and had a few issues... First and foremost I had what I can best describe as spider-webs everywhere... By spider-webs I mean hair like stings of paint that seemed to be floating off of the edges of the body, the tape and pretty much everywhere... They got so bad that I had to literally wipe them off after the paint dried... What am I doing wrong to cause this?

The second problem I had came when I pulled the mask off... The mask came off easily enough but the paint didn't separate cleanly and made my edges a little raged... it was as if the paint stretched and "fell" on the unpainted portion causing an line that wasn't smooth... Why is this happening?

Thanks, for the advise.

Shane
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

What kind of paint were you using, and how old was it? As for the 2nd problem, it sounds like the paint wasn't dried enough and hadn't properly adhered to the body. I find it helps to sometimes retrace over your masking lines with a knife before pulling the mask off, especially after heavy coats.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

I'm guessing that your using pactra?? This is a common issue from what I've read. If you do a search you should find some threads on this, but from what I remember its a problem with too much PSI and/or not thinned enough.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chris moore
I'm guessing that your using pactra?? This is a common issue from what I've read. If you do a search you should find some threads on this, but from what I remember its a problem with too much PSI and/or not thinned enough.
I am using Pactura enamel paints. I thinned some of the paints 50/50 (but only some..) White was killing me and I didn't thin it at all... I was running about 35psi and when I lowered the psi it seemed to get worse...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BigRM
What kind of paint were you using, and how old was it? As for the 2nd problem, it sounds like the paint wasn't dried enough and hadn't properly adhered to the body. I find it helps to sometimes retrace over your masking lines with a knife before pulling the mask off, especially after heavy coats.
Some of the paint was new, some of it was years old... And it was Pactura... I think the problem was the paint might not have been dry but I was using a heat gun in between coats, i guess I just didn't let it dry enough. I did have a lot of paint down though... As I mentioned this was my first body in years and I rusty as hell... I just ordered a new airbrush (Iwata HP-CS) should be here Thursday and I will be trying another body then... I will be more patient with letting the paint dry and see what happens...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1. Too much air pressure, the paint is drying before it hits the body causing the cotton candy/spider web effect. Try thinning it down some more and lower the pressure.

2. The mask was probably due to too thick of coats. You need to do light coats and build up the paint. Usually this happens when the paint is above the mask.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Not sure about the first question but the second is most likely spraying the paint too thick or not having a new (sharp) xacto knife while cutting it out. I always use a new blade for every body to get the cleannest cuts. also when you spray the paint too thick it almost bonds to the mask and then rips along the lines. Hope this helps a bit.