Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Ideas

I was just wondering where you guys come up with your ideas for paint jobs?I find myself sitting here for days trying to come up with ideas...I couldn't imagine you guys that paint several body's a week...
Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mx51
I was just wondering where you guys come up with your ideas for paint jobs?I find myself sitting here for days trying to come up with ideas...I couldn't imagine you guys that paint several body's a week...
Walk through you local grocery store. Cereal boxes, Soda pop, chip bags... there is no wrong paint scheme.

I was told I was going to Hell when I painted a car with the logo of an airline that had just crash. I thought the logo was cool.

Just find logos or color combos that catch your eye and be creative.

Good Luck!!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

mx51, this is something I think most people overthink when trying for a new design. The problem is that everything has basically been done already, so no matter what you do it will most likely not set a new bar for design and innovation, even with days of contemplation. Look at any low rider or truck magazine, as well as motorcycle mags to see what I mean.

I think I do the opposite of most, rather then looking over tons of pictures and other painters ideas, I try to clear my head allowing ideas to pop in.
Basically my only concern is wether I will do a pointed design like scallops, flames, drips, how many layers, what colors and what will be the main color.

Using a sharpie make an attempt at sketching some ideas on the body. Make sure it flows with the bodies shape(unless it's an ugly cab forward one, lol) and make sure it is sized according to the body your working on. That is an 1/8th scale on road body with tiny flames all across it dead center looks out of place, but the same size flames on a 1/16th E Revo body, across it's hood would work well.

Also keep in mind, as you progress through the paint on a body, adding elements before the next color is layed in can always be done if it hasn't been peeled out yet. Just use a darker contrasting color to add some pointed shapes, or anything that will contrast/compliment your main design. Doing this just before spraying the lighter color afterwards behind it will add some sizzle to what might be an area of flatness otherwise.

Hope these thoughts help you out, best of luck.
...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Hey thanks guys those are good ideas...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Funny how I spend WAY too much time drawing out the design on the body. Sometimes that part takes the most amount of time. I've been known to erase a design 2-3 times before I'm happy with it.

I actually take note on these forums and of other peoples paint jobs what colors and designs work well. I also have clear sheets of overhead projector film I test on if I'm not sure.

...I'm not much help here, lol. Just wanna say you're not the only one scrapping for ideas.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

I do not watch it often, but Nascar paint schemes help sometimes. I am in the same boat. Takes a few tries to get it right
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

It's funny sometimes i can't sleep at night cuz i lay there and rack my brain for ideas...LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nothin new under the sun, it's how it's done...

as said, very rare are original innovations. things just evolve n take new forms.

everyone has their own perspective so just roll with your. as said too, anything can inspire you...and not just visual..emotions, thoughts..

thing with people who paint lots of bods for a profession is that we have been through that mental block as has everyone but we have a great backlogue and experience to rely on plus...the main thing i think is that alot of the time we have a basic set directive to feed on from the client. a certain color/theme/design etc etc. and in that case it is as i said earlier, just a case of adding your own artistic flair to it.

if you have to sit rackin yer brains for too long just set it aside. take some time off and not even think about.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonmills
if you have to sit rackin yer brains for too long just set it aside. take some time off and not even think about.
I agree totally. I am working on a body now that I needed to make a grill look like a picture and the truck did not match all that well. After some time I put it aside and came back to it the next day. Bamm figured it out.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Exactly, sometimes you can overthink it and give yourself a migrain, lol.

Some nights I get to a point were I just say, i'll come back to this one tomorrow.

There is also the experience that helps with things you try and don't like afterwards. A lot of times a racer wants a design, or colors that don't make any sense and when done it still doesn't... but once in a while I realize it works well when done. So I basically still am learning even after all these years painting... just part of the process.

Anything you do will get better with effort and time... aka, experience. IF you keep at it!

...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

I don't think i will stop i have done 5 bodies now and i am having a blast doing it...But coming up with desings that are easy enough for a beginer but look awesome is racking my brain..LOL Here in the town i live in i am the only one that is interested in painting...So all the guys at my track see the cool looking bodies and want one,so i am painting bodies for them for free just give me a few bucks for paint,so i can keep practicing,and like i said i am having a blast doing it..Just amazing how much better you get with each one!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mx51
I don't think i will stop i have done 5 bodies now and i am having a blast doing it...But coming up with desings that are easy enough for a beginer but look awesome is racking my brain..LOL Here in the town i live in i am the only one that is interested in painting...So all the guys at my track see the cool looking bodies and want one,so i am painting bodies for them for free just give me a few bucks for paint,so i can keep practicing,and like i said i am having a blast doing it..Just amazing how much better you get with each one!!!
It may seem fun now painting for free, but racers can be notoriously cheap and will expect you to paint for free, all the time. Keep in mind what your real costs are, paint, mask, clean up, and especially your time. Make the price, that you charge, at least equal to your expenses. Don't sell your self short!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mooby64
It may seem fun now painting for free, but racers can be notoriously cheap and will expect you to paint for free, all the time. Keep in mind what your real costs are, paint, mask, clean up, and especially your time. Make the price, that you charge, at least equal to your expenses. Don't sell your self short!!!!!
I understand that,But when looking at all the great paint in here i couldn't justify charging...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

For me, I try to keep it simple. Yeah I will use several colors but I want it easy to mask as that just bugs me.

So the first step is to look at the body. I try to come up with something that flows with the lines of the body and takes advantage of whatever flat areas it may have for details/panels/graphics, etc. I also try to figure out how to avoid any difficult spots, like a pin stripe going right through the louvers or something.

Then I just need to pick the colors. I know what color combos I like and I keep an eye out for other combos that work by checking out the other cars at the track and the pics on this forum. I like contrast more than subtle effects since these things are so small and fast, it's hard to see ghost graphics on the track. More subtle stuff may win concourse but I paint race cars.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
For me, I try to keep it simple. Yeah I will use several colors but I want it easy to mask as that just bugs me.

So the first step is to look at the body. I try to come up with something that flows with the lines of the body and takes advantage of whatever flat areas it may have for details/panels/graphics, etc. I also try to figure out how to avoid any difficult spots, like a pin stripe going right through the louvers or something.

Then I just need to pick the colors. I know what color combos I like and I keep an eye out for other combos that work by checking out the other cars at the track and the pics on this forum. I like contrast more than subtle effects since these things are so small and fast, it's hard to see ghost graphics on the track. More subtle stuff may win concourse but I paint race cars.
+1 on this i will try to keep pin strips away from any curves at all costs..LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.